WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tilley hat? Anyone have one....

I was recommended by a friend to get one, but wow, the price was insane!

I was told it is very waterproof and the wide bream really protects against the sun....tell me, is the price worth it? It does have a lifetime guarantee...

Images

i've got the airflow one, with the mesh around the crown... best hat i've ever owned... very well made, worth the $$...
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

I have a Tilley that I've worn for 12+ years. It is a really good hat, has held up really well, but mine is not even water resistant. Its made from 100% cotton. I'm guessing they have a couple of different models that may include a waterproof one. I don't hike with this one, its more of yard work or sitting on the beach hat.

Images

I just went to the website and they look like pretty nice hats. I like the Outback but its $74! It would be a nice hat to thru hike with.

Did you read this:

"INSURED AGAINST LOSS:
    We understand the anguish of losing this reliable companion, or of having your dog terminally gnaw it. Should that happen, we'll replace your late, lamented Tilley at half the catalogue price."
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

In hot humid conditions, I've found the Tilley to be woefully lacking in the comfort it is touted for. In a rain, its brim loses its shape rather quickly and it becomes pretty aggravating.

I bought mine for $12 at an REI scratch and dent sale. The return reason was "didn't feel it lived up to reputation or price". I can believe it. I'm fine with it for the $12 I paid, but I'd be really upset if I paid over $70 for it.

If I lived in a dry, arid environment I suspect it would work well for ventilation and sun protection.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Another Airflow user here. I find it excellent here in the west. From eastern humidity I fear there is no escape.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I had something similar for a while but found the back brim kept hitting my backpack. Drove me crazy. Regular ball cap works just fine for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by M1 Thumb View Post
    I have a Tilley that I've worn for 12+ years. It is a really good hat, has held up really well, but mine is not even water resistant. Its made from 100% cotton. I'm guessing they have a couple of different models that may include a waterproof one. I don't hike with this one, its more of yard work or sitting on the beach hat.
    take it to the garage - put it on a glad tupperware bowl and paper and spray the waterproofer silocone bejesus out of it. Remember to hold your breath and walk away - come back in the morning.

You will thank me later.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My LTM6 airflow hat (has the mesh around the crown) is my goto hat for hot exposed to sun protection. It's cooler then wearing a baseball cap and I don't need to use as much sunscreen. However, I've only used it out west and not in humid conditions.

I thought the brim held its shape well in rain in comparison to other wide brim hats I've own. Though they do have several fabric options so perhaps some are worse then others.

I also own their TH5 Hemp hat. Though I normally wear it around town so I can't comment on how well it works for hiking. If you search carefully on the internet you should be able to find many of their hats for ~$20 off.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    My LTM6 airflow hat (has the mesh around the crown) is my goto hat for hot exposed to sun protection. It's cooler then wearing a baseball cap and I don't need to use as much sunscreen. However, I've only used it out west and not in humid conditions.
    That's the clincher for me. I'm headed out to the JMT later this month and was torn between my ball cap and my LTM6.

Wearing the Tilley in my avatar pic.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Horribly overpriced. Best suited for Africa where it will survive ingestion nad pass through by an elephant.

Yep. Trolling it is..............

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Yep. Trolling it is..............
    You are really a complete loser:

From the Tilley Website -

""Elephant trainer Michael Hackenberger of the Bowmanville (Ontario) Zoo, had his Tilley Hat snatched from his head and eaten by an elephant. Three times. Michael later would find and pick up his Hat, wash it thoroughly, and wear it. He had declined to accept a new Tilley Hat in order that we may have his well-traveled Tilley for our museum. (We were secretly pleased!)"

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Horribly overpriced. Best suited for Africa where it will survive ingestion nad pass through by an elephant.
    Sounds painful.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Best hat ever. Worth the price. Possibly my favorite piece of gear from my PCT hike.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Thumbs up Tilley Hats

I have the Tilley TWP1 Waterproof Nylon Hat, Tilley T4IS Insect Shield Hat and the TW2 Winter Hat. I Just wore the T4IS all weekend at Dolly Copp Campground, A few miles North of Mount Washington. Awesome hat, Bugs hate my Insect Shield Hat. The Waterproof hat is just that and it has a waterproof zipper on the rear of the crown for venting when not raining. The TW2 Winter Hat is very warm and comfortable. All Tilley Hats are Water Resistant except for the TWP, Which is Waterproof.
    Tilley guarantees their hats for life, If it wears out from usage, they replace it free of charge, If you lose it, They will replace it for half price within the first 2 years of ownership. I have been complimented on all three of my Tilley Hats and as recently as yesterday on my T4IS. I purchased the T4IS for my Thru-Hike next year and I fully intend to wear it for 2100 plus miles.

Images

I have the hemp version. If I no longer need the sun protection, I suppose I could smoke it....

Works great out West in low humidity conditions. Hiking in the Grand Canyon, I could dip my hat in water, put it on my head, and have instant air conditioning for 20 minutes or so.

I've worn it on the AT in cooler weather, when there are no leaves on the trees, and it works well for that. But in the summer it's far too hot.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have a AirFlo Tilley hat that I use for hiking and also for gardening. It works good for sun protection, however it is a warmer hat then I would prefer. On a hiking trip earlier this year I was wearing this hat and it did a good job keeping the rain off of my head and shoulders. I did not experience the comment from an earlier post of the hat losing it,s shape. It is a big hat and sometimes I do experience a little bounce from the brim of this hat while walking.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

I own a Tilley (LT6), but would never wear it hiking for one reason. Wind. While I can tie-down the hat to my head, the brim is too soft and will flip up with any sort of "real" wind. Thereby removing any sun protection you thought you had.

I wear it just about everyday in the summer while outside around town, sporting events, family events, vacations, etc. But, unless I expect to be in the sun without any sort of strong wind, I'd never wear it while hiking.

What I find so odd is that Tilley's are suppose to be boating hats. Not sure what good they would do on a boat that is actually moving. I've tried mine while sailing and it was nearly useless.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

re wind:

I have just the opposite opinion. I prefer the Tilley while in exposed+windy conditions. My ball caps would just get blown off my head and gone forever. The tie-down, while somewhat uncomfortable, keeps it on my head. The flapping around hasn't been an issue for me.

I'm taking the Tilley on my JMT trip later this month because of anticipated windy conditions for extended periods of time. On the AT, from what I have experienced, the exposed sections are fairly short-lived.

I agree with others that for the warmer months on the AT it is just too dang hot. I suspect the hot/dry conditions out west is where this hat shines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++