WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question REQUEST: What is your idea of an 'ideal' hostel?

I'm toying with the idea of opening a hiker hostel (New Hampshire) within the next few years. Aside from the more obvious services, like shuttles, what are some things you'd all really love to see in an AT hostel? Thanks in advance.

Images

Laundry
    Shower
    Internet
    Real Mattress

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    Laundry
    Shower
    Internet
    Real Mattress
    I like these and would add:

Pillow with that real mattress
    Self-service equipped kitchen
    No smoking
    Lights out/quite hours policy

What I'd really love to see in an AT hostel:

Directions to the nearest motel!

Thanks, wcgornto. I intend on having shower/laundry available! I'm also exploring bedding options, and I really want to invest in actual-factual mattresses (no crooked bedspring massages!). Internet I had not thought of yet; I'll add it to my list.

Tent sites. I sleep better in my tent than in a room with a bunch of other people.

There are some other threads on this exact topic that you should search for as well as several threads about making towns hiker-friendly which would be relevant. Your best bet would be to hire Miss Janet as a consultant if she is not under some sort of exclusive agreement with Ron Haven.

Priorities are usually food, food, and food then getting clean and then resupply, communication, post office, etc.

If you are off the trail, you need to make sure hikers can get to you and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I like these and would add:

Pillow with that real mattress
    Self-service equipped kitchen
    No smoking
    Lights out/quite hours policy
    Thanks Cookerhiker! I currently work in a place that has good bed pillows for a great price. I'll stock up when I'm back from vacation. I like the self-service kitchen idea. I'll have to see what I can 'cook' up with that one. Also, being a non-smoker, I certainly would not tolerate the habit inside. And I do like the lights out/quiet hours policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Tent sites. I sleep better in my tent than in a room with a bunch of other people.

There are some other threads on this exact topic that you should search for as well as several threads about making towns hiker-friendly which would be relevant. Your best bet would be to hire Miss Janet as a consultant if she is not under some sort of exclusive agreement with Ron Haven.

Priorities are usually food, food, and food then getting clean and then resupply, communication, post office, etc.

If you are off the trail, you need to make sure hikers can get to you and back.
    Good idea with the tent sites. Thanks for all the info, too, Tater!

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Thanks Cookerhiker! I currently work in a place that has good bed pillows for a great price. I'll stock up when I'm back from vacation. I like the self-service kitchen idea. I'll have to see what I can 'cook' up with that one. Also, being a non-smoker, I certainly would not tolerate the habit inside. And I do like the lights out/quiet hours policy.
    Re. the self-service kitchen, 3 examples come to mind which could serve as models for you:
    1. Braemer Castle, Hampton, TN
    2. Pine Ellis, Andover, ME
    3. Stratton Motel, Stratton, ME - this may have changed but it was in '05.
    There's probably others as well.

private rooms. no alcohol policy

Images

I bet you end up having to clean up that self-service kitchen A LOT!

Images

A mint under my pillow...

Seriously , everything mentioned already , plus a room with assorted AT material , books , magizines ,articles .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Re. the self-service kitchen, 3 examples come to mind which could serve as models for you:
    1. Braemer Castle, Hampton, TN
    2. Pine Ellis, Andover, ME
    3. Stratton Motel, Stratton, ME - this may have changed but it was in '05.
    There's probably others as well.
    Cheers. Looking them up now!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Trees and/or posts for hammocks and tarps. Lots of folks love their hammocks and this would be a great option for them.

Definitely have to add another vote for no alcohol, no smoking and a set time for lights out/quiet hours. And be willing to show the door to folks who can't follow the rules.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I bet you end up having to clean up that self-service kitchen A LOT!
    Good point. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    A mint under my pillow...

Seriously , everything mentioned already , plus a room with assorted AT material , books , magizines ,articles .
    haha, mints.

I like the AT room idea. Perhaps I'll end up using the den/family room, or perhaps the foyer area (if there is a big enough area) for that.

Thanks to everyone who responded so far. I didn't expect such an enthusiastic response! Some great ideas in here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Trees and/or posts for hammocks and tarps. Lots of folks love their hammocks and this would be a great option for them.

Definitely have to add another vote for no alcohol, no smoking and a set time for lights out/quiet hours. And be willing to show the door to folks who can't follow the rules.
    Hammock-hanger here! I will be looking out for that (along with a property with good prospective tent sites) when purchasing the property in the future.

I'm leaning towards the no smoking/alcohol/quiet hours policy. I may have mentioned previously in the thread that I am a nonsmoker, so my own tolerance toward it is on the low side.

Thanks again!

I may have mentioned previously in the thread that I am a nonsmoker, so my own tolerance toward it is on the low side.
    don't even allow it on the property

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    don't even allow it on the property
    Hurumph!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Tent sites and access to a shower.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

I'm also exploring bedding options, and I really want to invest in actual-factual mattresses (no crooked bedspring massages!).
    Green Mountain House in VT and Free State Hiker Hostel in MD are the ideal models for comfortable, efficient, restful, rejuvenating bedding for hikers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++