Default July solo hike in SNP

I'm planning to do a solo hike for 5-10 days, probably in Shenandoah Nat'l Park, in early July. I have hiked quite a bit, but have not hiked solo before. I realize a lot of risks are just "potential" risks, but I'm trying to figure out the best area to do a first solo hike. I wanted people's feedback on a female solo hiking in SNP during summer...

Do you think being close to Skyline Drive may cause more risk (given all the road crossing--lots of tourists--sketchy people?)?

Are there better areas within a day's drive of the D.C. area to hike in July?

Thanks for the feedback!

~Laurel

Images

Default You won't be solo for long!

My daughter, myself and at least one other member of the Old Dominion Appalachian Trail Club will be doing the SNP from July 5 to the 12. We will be starting at Front Royal on the afternoon of the 5th and going south. You are welcome to join us.
    To answer your question, however, I hike quite a bit in the SNP (sometimes solo; sometimes with others) and I find there are always other people and I feel quite safe there.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Images

The AT runs parallel along the Skyline Drive and is so close to it that bailing out is easy if someone makes you feel uncomfortable.
    July is a busy month for vacationers & hikers so you should see plenty people wanting to hike a short distance from their car for an out and back .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Hi Laurel,

I'm female and spend lots of time alone in the park. I've never felt unsafe - probably because I'm so close to the road and there are always people nearby. I think you'll be just fine.

Although the offer you had to join up with folks from the Old Dominion ATC sounds like it could be lots of fun, too! I always like to hike/camp with others - not because I don't feel safe, but because I like sharing the experience.

Christine

Laurel... hope your july hiking plans are coming along. I'd encourage you to enjoy the experience of a solo hike. It's different... and has it's own joys. Doing the SNP you'll run into lots of folks (it's been a while since I've been thru that section -- but as you said -- it crosses the road alot). Personally, I do prefer an area that is a little more isolated, but the advantage of all the road crossings is that if you get into trouble it's easy to get off the trail. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the feedback. The closer it gets, the more exited I am to get back into the Green Tunnel! mad4scrapping, it sounds like your plan is just about the same as mine. Thanks for the offer to join y'all. I'll have to see how the logistics of my ride work out, but it'd be fun to meet up with you. I'll try to figure out how to send a private message on this forum... and I'll send you a message! Peace, Laurel

++ New Posts ++