WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I like these life gear LED "Glowstick"/Flashlights.

Available in several colors and I use them as a tent light.

Come with lifetime free batteries.
    They have a whistle on the end you could cut off if you wanted or use it in emergencies.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    I like these life gear LED "Glowstick"/Flashlights.

Available in several colors and I use them as a tent light.

Come with lifetime free batteries.
    They have a whistle on the end you could cut off if you wanted or use it in emergencies.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p
    it says 200 hr battery, but i did see them on the checkout counter in Home Depot. i put them all on flashing before i left.
    i was thinking for the grand kids and car camping, but not hiking.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

What's the problem with 200 hours? If you used it 2 hours a day (excessive in my opinion) it would last 100 days or 3+ months.

The same one I used for section hiking last year was used all of last hunting season for duck hunting and I used them more hours per day then than hiking.

I have a couple of lazerbrite flashlights. I usually throw one in the pack for backup.

Made in the USA. http://lazerbrite.com

I'm not sure of the weight..that spec isn't on the website for some reason. I'm guessing 2-3 oz. A little expensive too. They are military grade, multi uses as a flashlight, glow stick. You can link them together. Water proof to 167'. If it goes 1/3 of that depth and you're not wearing scuba gear, you've lost it!

Light is visible from over 1 mile. They'll let you try it for 30 days and if you don't like it, send it back and they'll buy it back from you.

I just ordered a fenix E01. They are only about 10 lumens but bullet proof and really good on runtime. Plus they are under 13 bucks. They make a brighter one called the E05 but I, personally, don't need much light after my eyes are acclimated to the dark and runtime is my main criteria. Plus my go to light is my old model petzel tikka which has served me well.
    I like the aaa battery too as my petzel tikka uses aaa and keeps things simple for me. AAA batteries are everywhere when I restock.
    I was also looking at a maratac aa but I will see how the aaa unit by fenix is first.

I use the Mightylie Mini. Great lightweight, 2.4oz with Lithium battery, that has a nice strong beam and it pulls out of itself to make a neat little latern. great for reading in my tent at night.

http://www.gearforadventure.com/UCO_...tylitemini.htm
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Images

I think I am going to go with the ITP EOS A3. It weighs about 1.5 ounces with lithium battery, puts out 80 linens in high mode. It will be a backup to my Princeton Tec Remix.

Images

Imagine 1 flashlight and 1 battery for the whole trip! (Hiker used only 1 on the PCT 2600 miles and 1000 miles of the AT)

I don't really "sing praises" of equipment unless I am super, super, super-duper impressed, but this is one of those items.

Not sure if it is "bulletproof" but says it was tested by dropping 250ft out of an airplane at 100mph and it still worked. I have one than hangs/bangs around on the outside of my everyday Oakley backpack (man-purse, lol). It's been banged and tossed around for over 2 years and still works great (yes, with original battery)

testing..... http://www.9voltlight.com/testing

The pak-lite is awesome. I own 3 (vehicle, daily carry, and pack). 1.5oz including battery, light, durable, bright, hi/low beams, glow-in-the-dark, 80hrs on Hi, 1200hrs (1200 not a typo) on low beam, dual LED, weather proof, 3 second battery change, 10 year warranty. Simple effective design. Don't let the 2 LED design fool ya. These puppies are super bright! Low beam is great for reading, tent light, and a great nightlight for the kiddies during power outages. Produce almost no heat when on (I mention this because I melted a hole in a duffle bag with a surefire G2, once) They are super efficient.... Take your used smoke detector batteries and use for this light, I can almost promise you wont use it up before its time for the next yearly battery change.

I'm a flashlight junkie (mag, photon, surefire, etc) and this is my absolute favorite. I give these out as gifts and everyone loves em and most give up their other flashlights for these! And best of all........ it AIN'T $100!!!!!!!!

Also comes in red LEDs (Among other options)

Headband option

belt holster option - Not sure why, cause they fit in your pocket (I prefer duct taped para-cord loop with a lobster claw clasp or small carabiner for hanging)

Neck lanyard (I have to advise AGAINST this purchase, if u just gotta have a neck lanyard, use the above option and hang it on a para-cord lanyard)

http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/31949
    The only difference between the "Super" and "Ultimate" option is that the Super comes with an alkaline battery and the Ultimate comes with a 10yr shelf life lithium battery.

Specifications:

Bulbs
    2 Super Bright White LED Bulbs (100,000 hrs rating.......11.5 years of continuous use)

Burn Time
    80+ hrs. Bright, or 1,200+ hrs. Soft usable light (10 year shelf life) was tested for 8,760 hours of continuous on (low beam) and still produced visible light.
    (see testing)

Battery Type
    9v Ultralife Lithium Battery (9-Volt Battery )

Switch Modes
    3-modes: Soft ~ Off ~ Bright

Switch Type
    Toggle 100,000 Times on/off with Gold Plated Contacts

Cap
    Orange (Glow-in-the-dark) ABS Plastic

Total Weight
    1.5 oz with Battery

Warranty 10-years limited warranty (battery not covered)

Once you go PAK you never go back!
    Last edited by Gipsy; 02-08-2011 at 22:18.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Just Hitting My Stride!

Another vote for the Photon Freedom.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    Harbor Freight keeps putting coupons in the paper giving away these little flashlights as a free "come on" to draw people into the stores...we have a drawer full plus a bunch of coupons yet to redeem. They're light, compact, bright, and perfect for hiking. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-2-h...ack-97036.html
    I have some of those. They are kinda hit or miss. Some work, some work a little while or have only a few of the LEDs that light up, Some never work at all. I guess thats why they use them as leader items in the adds. Even the ones that don't work still have a purpose.... the "battery-cartridge" thingy makes for easy battery changes. Drop the cartridge with the dead batteries and insert a fresh pre-loaded one.

I wouldn't take em hiking though for lack of reliability. I use em as semi-disposable flashlights or as loan-outs.
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Those Harborfreight freebie flashlights are realllllly unreliable. If they fall forget it ... I have had several fail so far.

Photon II (looks like the freedom, just better price)
    I've used one for 2 thru-hikes already (changed the batteries three times) then it sort of fell apart next time i tried to change them.
    So much more reliable than the cheap dollar ones.
    I really like the clip you can get for them too.
    I wear it on my shirt and it's always there.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I carry a couple of Photon Freedoms (one red for inside tent and one yellow as a general emergency backup). If you want something a little more substantial the iTP A3 EOS Upgrade is a great little light and weighs just a little over an ounce including the battery.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-a3-eos-upgrade.html

It's not much bigger than a AA battery. The light on the far right is a Fenix P2D which the iTP replaced. The pic displays the actual size.

You can turn it into a lantern by using a tube that Instant Krazy Glue comes in as a diffuser. Another option for a diffuser that I recently found out about was the cap from a tube of chapstick.

Has anyone tried the Coghlan's Six Function Whistle? It has a LED light, whistle, thermometer, magnifying lens, signal mirror and compass all in one. Aside from the fact that it takes 3 batteries instead of 2 like the photon freedom it seems like a good buy, at least on paper anyway. It's only around $8 too so it is cheap but is it worth the purchase?

http://www.coghlanscampinggear.com/cosixfuwh.html

How about Fenix LD01? Very compact, lightweight, but you need to pay around 40 bucks.

The Backup is an ultra compact dual-output flashlight developed as a duty light for plainclothes officers or as a backup light for patrol officers, but is also ideal for outdoor, self-defense, and everyday use. It features a virtually indestructible power-regulated LED emitter and a precision Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens.

Quote Originally Posted by mmais68569 View Post
    Here is a link to the flashlight I use it weights nothing & is bright. If you watch the site you can get it on sale for . 59 or .99 shipped from China what a deal.

http://www.meritline.com/mini-tripod...--p-42393.aspx

Mike

PS If you need a headlight they have some good ones also.
    Wow Mike,

What a great site. Looks like some really good deals on various lights... Maybe not the best link for a guy with thing for flashlights though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++