WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock Camping Dicks Creek to NOC

My buddy Buck and I are starting at Dicks Creek Gap , Ga Saturday morning the 26th and hiking till we get to NOC. It will be the first time for both of us to Hammock instead of tenting. We are looking forward to it.
    How long will it take us? How is the water this time of year? See you guys on the trail.

Images

I did that section BH (Before Hammocking) but my memory lists A LOT of hammock sites. I didn't start "Cold" but it took me 7 days with lots of stops for the scenery & I was in NO hurry. My notes from 8 years ago list lots of water along the way.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

it took me and a friend about 4 or 4.5 days to cover that stretch. we were hammock camping for the first time, too. there's a choice camping spot with good trees for hammocks (and a great view of the sunrise) about a day's hike south of noc, i believe it's at licklog gap. that site is dry, but there's water about a mile before so you can carry it in, and it's a great place to camp your last night out. other than that, i don't remember water being an issue.
    -tagg

In the very near future (next month) I plan to do a solo hike starting at Dick's Cr to Standing Indian and pickup the Kimsey Cr trail to Glassmine Gap and trek to Rock Gap. I have been a HH user for 6 years and love it. Anyone done the Kimsey Cr trail lately? Any info would be appreciated.
    TLC - Trails Loving Care

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    . . . . there's a choice camping spot with good trees for hammocks (and a great view of the sunrise) about a day's hike south of noc, i believe it's at licklog gap. that site is dry, but there's water about a mile before . . . .
    Licklog Gap is correct, we stayed there back in April, it's a great little campsite. Just be sure to carry your water in and you're good to go. Plenty of trees to hang from and even plenty of space for the (ground dwellers) to put up a tent or tarp if there are any with you. Enjoy your hike!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Default Dicks to NOC

My brother and I covered this section as part of our Dicks-to-the-Dam section hike the last week of May. Left Dicks Creek Gap Saturday morning and arrived NOC Wednesday afternoon (and hit Fontana Dam Friday afternoon). I hammock and he tents. Lots of water and lots of great spots to hang. We tend to stop near shelters, but there are tons of other options. Great views from Albert Mt. and Wayah Bald, but you earn them with some nice climbs. Descent into NOC is a bruiser. Since we are section hikers, we took it easy the first two days then upped the mileage. We also spent Monday night in Franklin to have dinner with friends. Most of the bear cables on this stretch are broken. Look for the sign to campsites up on the ridge further past the Cold Spring shelter than the guidebooks seem to suggest. Great section. Enjoy!

Thanks all for the good information. Only 2more days and we will be on the trail again.

++ New Posts ++