WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    Yeah they did misspell my name. It's a common mistake. Other than that I thought it was a great article capturing the story extremely well. The goal is and always has been to help the MST gain popularity. I have had several friends, who have their names in the Manual for offering camping locations, call me recently and tell me they have seen several hikers in the past few weeks. I just wonder how many thru-hiker's are out there this year.

Taba

P.S. They spelled my name correctly on the award.
    My fiance has seen a couple in the last few weeks in Dobson.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Anyone who does PR/marketing/advertising for a living will probably tell you that the best way to promote something is to build interest in a particularly compelling personality who is an integral part of the product, service, special interest, etc. being "sold."

IMHO that's all Taba is doing. It would probably sit better with some people if he didn't have to do it himself, but since no one else has stepped up to promote the multiple thru-hike "angle" (which does give lots of publicity to the MST) then isn't it better that he do it rather than it not be done at all? That would be a wasted opportunity to educate a lot of folks about the MST.

Cabin Fever, the MST will never be overcrowded or completely off the road. That is not in the FMST's plan for their trail. There will always be some road walk through the small town across the state. There have only been 16 people to hike the entire trail since 1980. The reason I promote the Yo-Yo is because I wanted to prove to everybody that this trail can be thru-hiked. What better way to do that than to walk it twice in a single year?

You want to talk about over-crowded trails just look at the Appalachian Trail. You want solitude, don't hike that one. If you want a great social experience in the woods, than the AT is the trail for you. If you want to explore everything a state has to offer, then hike the MST.

I just finished hiking the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky and will take the next month writing the Manual for it. I should have the book ready for print by the beginning of August. It will look much like the MST Manual with quick-reference column to let you know where all your resources are whether on trail or in town.

Taba

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    However, I don't see anyone else going around gloating about their personal feats and publicity so often.
    I doubt you ever will. We have our own Lady GaGa of the hiking world.

Why should I not promote my sport? Why do you have any problem with it?
    Please promote all you want. I not only do not have a problem with it, yours are The most hysterical posts on this site. I love them. I especially love when you use your name instead of using me, like you're two different people. Great stuff.

You want to talk about over-crowded trails just look at the Appalachian Trail.
    The fact is the vast majority of the AT, other than hot spots like Clingmans or Washington, is deserted most of the time other than about 2 weeks each year. Please promote yourself and don't spread old rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    The fact is the vast majority of the AT, other than hot spots like Clingmans or Washington, is deserted most of the time other than about 2 weeks each year. Please promote yourself and don't spread old rumors.
    Got it. Thanks for the support Blue Jay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++