WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Who would attempt this hike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhR...mbedded#at=345

Ain't no way I would take on this hike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caminito_del_Rey

Caminito del Rey

El Caminito del Rey (English: The King's little pathway) is a walkway or via ferrata, now fallen into disrepair, pinned along the steep walls of a narrow gorge in El Chorro, near Álora in the district of Málaga, Spain. The name is often shortened to Camino del Rey.

History

In 1901 it became obvious that workers at the hydroelectric power plants at Chorro Falls and Gaitanejo Falls needed a walkway to cross between the falls, to provide for transport of materials, and for the inspection and maintenance of the channel. Construction of the walkway took four years and it was finished in 1905.

In 1921 King Alfonso XIII crossed the walkway for the inauguration of the dam Conde del Guadalhorce and it became known by its present name.

The walkway has now gone many years without maintenance, and is in a highly deteriorated and dangerous state. It is one meter (3 feet and 3 inches) in width, and is over 100 meters (350 feet) above the river. Nearly all of the path has no handrail. Some parts of the concrete walkway have completely collapsed and all that is remaining is the steel beam originally in place to hold it up. One can latch onto a modern steel safety-wire to keep from falling, though it can't hold much weight. Several people have lost their lives on the walkway in recent years; after four people died in two accidents in 1999 and 2000[1], the local government closed the entrances. To this day it remains illegal to cross. However policing is extremely minimal and many adventurous tourists still find their way onto the walkway to explore it.

Some travelers choose to begin by walking through the train tunnel to the dam, and then walking back towards El Chorro. Most climb across a series of dilapidated stanchions and then up a well-protected chimney on the cliff face to reach the Caminito del Rey. A cable runs the length of the path, giving people a method of securing themselves throughout the duration of the path. However, the stability of the cable is unknown. It would be wise to have space (more than 10 meters) between travelers. That way, if a section breaks, the cable will only be holding the weight of one person.

The regional government of Andalusia budgeted in 2006 for a restoration plan[2] estimated at € 7 million.

Images

Looks like fun to me.

I like how the trail lends the false appearance that you are walking across a very thin strip of narrow ground along the ledge, and it looks like the bridge sections you cross are the only suspended portions, but in reality, the whole thing is basically suspended in mid-air, and you only come to realize it at some point down the trail when you see holes in the concrete, and realize that the shoddy breaking down concrete you are walking on, is entirely suspended in the air, and if any of the concrete were to break, you'd fall right through and plummet 500 feet or more to your death.

Pretty sweet... I want to do it.

Section hiker, Thru-hiker wannabe julia123xyz's Avatar

No Freakin' Way!!

Images

Looks very frighting & dangerous!
    I suffer from a great fear of heights!
    Happen to like the feeling!
    I WANT TO DO IT!!!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

I've seen this video before. With a narrow SUL day pack and being very conscious of your footing and additional possible handholds seems very doable but dangerous. I want to do it!

Nope, Not me. I am so afraid of heights

I'm all puckered up just sitting here in my chair.

Images

that is awesome!!! i wanna go

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post

It's just walkin'.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

There is also a YouTube video of a hike like that in China, with a tea shop at the top.

No way!

Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post

I just KNEW that was going to be the hike in question before opening the thread! It looks like an insane hike. I would not likely attempt it, but I'm not entirely sure I'd outright refuse if I were standing at the trail's beginning. Know-what-I'm-sayin'?

The only way to know -- is to go.

Just watched the video again --

I'd totally do it.

++ New Posts ++