WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default cleanliness on the trail

Maybe some thru hikers can give input here, but is there really any reason for hikers to smell so foul on the trail? We have shared shelters with some thrus hikers that reek so bad I have to wonder....why not stay cleaner on the trail? As a section hiker I take at least one bucket bath with soap during a week long hike and wipe clean the important parts daily. What's up with the stench?

Images

What's up with the stench?
    Those people don't wash at home, why should they wash on the trail...

Panzer

Images

I hear that's its a right of passage; backpacking=skinking. I know you don't have to smell spring time fresh all the time but no reason to smell like a dead skunk's behind either.

There's a lot you can clean with just a bandana, water and soap daily. Your gear, other hikers, and the forest will thank you.
    The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

Images

I meant rite and stinking lol
    The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk. ~Jacqueline Schiff

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    As a section hiker I take at least one bucket bath with soap during a week long hike and wipe clean the important parts daily. What's up with the stench?
    Yikes. I wreak after 24 hours on the trail.

Here are a few reasons to avoid taking a lengthy sponge bath:

Cold
    Rain
    Snow
    Wind
    Exhaustion
    Bugs
    Hungry
    Mileage
    Inexperience

During my training hikes earlier this year I simply didn't know how to keep myself clean. I was nasty when I got back home. Disgusting. Eww. I was still having trouble during the first week of my hike. By then I was doing much better, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm still learning.

I left a month early this year and I wouldn't do anything more than a quick wet nap bath on the trail because I'd get too cold. Not to mention that I was slow enough that I needed to be hiking during all the daylight hours, and of course it would be cold once the sun went down. During the second month it got warmer and I cleaned up more, but I also needed to because I was sweating more.

Actually, while I didn't exactly smell like springtime, a lot of the stink was in my clothing. I still haven't figured out a good enough way to wash my clothes on the trail to get the stink out. On my last day on the trail I washed my clothes several times using gallons of bleached water and soap, but my clothes still stunk. It doesn't help that I'm completely stoveless, so I can't do a hot wash and hot washes in town are the only thing that've killed the smell.

For a while I carried a shirt solely for hitching. It made a huge difference.

My next step is to try switching to wool instead of the synthetics I'm currently using. Too bad wool clothing is so expensive...not that my synthetics were inexpensive...

Last section hike I did, a young man (potential thru) had not washed in weeks. He was developing sores on his body. He was walking around barefoot in camp. His feet were filthy and were covered in blisters...I shouldn't talk though. Three hours on the trail and I'm sweating like a pig and beginning to reek.

I don't see the problem with giving yourself a sponge bath and a shave every day, except perhaps due to environmental concerns. You would want to do it with minimal impact, because there are so many people using the trail.

Default good god!

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Last section hike I did, a young man (potential thru) had not washed in weeks. He was developing sores on his body. He was walking around barefoot in camp. His feet were filthy and were covered in blisters...I shouldn't talk though. Three hours on the trail and I'm sweating like a pig and beginning to reek.

The Guy hadn't washed in weeks? I'm sorry but there is NO excuse for this.
    for one, thrus are in town every single week at least once. Then there are streams. That is just plain unhealthy. Hmm.. I wonder if he ever succeeded in hitching a ride?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Another reason to avoid taking a bath on the trail: having to dump a bucket full of soapy water somewhere in the woods. Even the relatively mild stuff is full of chemicals that are not good for plants and animals.

Save the baths for when you get home and your water can be properly treated.

When we went through basic training, which was October through February in British Columbia, we had to do ablutions every day we were in the field. It really wasn't that unpleasant. In fact, it was one of the more pleasant experiences during my 3 month introduction to hiking at the Canadian taxpayers expense. We used our helmets as wash basins, and poured in some boiling hot water, which turned tepid soon enough, and some soap, and we shaved and sponge bathed down to the waist. Not sure why we did not do from the waist down. Maybe we did but I can't remember. The mornings were not so cold once we got dressed again after doing this. Good times. Not rocket science.

When hiking I try not to use soap, because of the impact on the environment. I use a Kelly Kettle so lots of boiling water is not a problem, although for much of the Appalachian trail it might be harder to use biomass because of fire risk restrictions, or lack of appropriate biomass in high traffic areas. When using biomass, a little white ash added to the hot water will serve as soap by forming a dilute potassium hydroxide solution which raises the pH level, and when mixed with body grease, it cuts the grease and starts to form actual soap and glycerine. Hot water itself is a detergent though, which along with all the natural salts and alcohols secreted by your skin is all you really need to clean your skin and keep it healthy and smelling reasonably fresh and clean. Especially when hiking so many hours, our persperation itself should be more dilute compared to sitting around at home and eating or drinking or whatever, but you need at least a good rinse every day. The same wood ash and water treatment can be used to wash a pair of socks or a pair of underwear each day. One item per day should be enough to stay on top of things. A good rain can work wonders, or a swim.

Part of the pleasure of hiking is that you have an opportunity to live a simple life, but this simple life should be as complete and sustainable as possible and practical. You are still dependant on resupply for food, and perhaps fuel, and worn out clothing and gear. There is no reason however not to get into a routine of doing your own washing and laundry. It is part of life, even a simple life. Especially a simple life. These routines are part of the celebration of life.

Hiking should be more than just a scenic walk.
    Hiking can also be an excercise in refined poverty.

Images

Maybe some thru hikers can give input here, but is there really any reason for hikers to smell so foul on the trail? We have shared shelters with some thrus hikers that reek so bad I have to wonder....why not stay cleaner on the trail? As a section hiker I take at least one bucket bath with soap during a week long hike and wipe clean the important parts daily. What's up with the stench?

I cant imagine the environmental impact of 1000's thru hikers taking soap baths on the trail. And it does not help anyway. The biggest part of the problem is the high tech clothing we wear retains the smell. You can wash your clothes in town and as soon as you break a sweet on the trail the smell comes right back.

You can call the smell of a thru hiker anything you want, but I remember getting to the point on the trail that I enjoyed my smell. I would take thru hiker smell over the heavy perfume smell that many women force me to endure in Airplanes, buses, bars and restaurants.
    Pootz 07

As I keep saying, you don't have to use soap. Water itself is a detergent.

While hiking the PCT I made sure to wash my feet and legs most nights. All it took was about a half cup of water and my bandana. Once in a while I would wash up at a stream. Just soaked my bandana in the water, no soap. I could scrub the important places without undressing completely. In the summer this is easier than when it is cold, but when it is cold, I don't sweat as much so it evens out. In towns I do laundry to hit the reset button on my clothes. I figured that was not enough to keep from really smelling awful, but it was enough to have a little self-respect.

I think a lot of hikers really reek bad because of their feet. Some people just have horrible smelly feet. And then they hang their stinky socks from their packs and a fume plume follows wherever they go. I hiked for a few days with a guy whose stinky socks were so awful I couldn't come within 40 feet of him on the trail. I kept begging him to please stop crossing creeks on logs and just wade instead. Please. But he prided himself on never getting his feet wet.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I do agree that not all body odour is unpleasant. If you take care to rinse your body and some clothes every day, you will still smell, but it will be much more pleasant, and much more healthy. This should be obvious. This shouldn't have to be told.

Maybe some thru hikers can give input here, but is there really any reason for hikers to smell so foul on the trail?
    Uh, yes there is.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Is there any reason that they can't smell less foul?

I use wet wipes at lest once a day - usually at night before bed. I pack them out.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Another reason to avoid taking a bath on the trail: having to dump a bucket full of soapy water somewhere in the woods. Even the relatively mild stuff is full of chemicals that are not good for plants and animals.

Save the baths for when you get home and your water can be properly treated.
    I disagree. It doesn't take but a tiny bit of biodegradeble soap in the water to wash down. Even a water wipe down helps. What's wrong with just carrying some wet wipes to pack out and keeping the "nether regions" clean?

Seriously just take a little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    As I keep saying, you don't have to use soap. Water itself is a detergent.
    Exactly! I seldom use soap. A cold water or heat a little does the trick.

I would agree that a very tiny amount of bio-friendly soap wouldn't be much more harmful than wood ash, about the same really, and would be available even when wood ash isn't, and easier to get the concentration right. I would still use a little wood ash for pots and laundry when using biofuel and creating some wood ash, but it would make sense to carry a little bio-friendly soap for washing your body. Takes very little though. Water alone is often enough, especially if you have lots of it available. It is when water and biofuel are scarce that enviro-friendly cleaning gets more difficult, especially in high traffic areas. Usually you can pick your sights though, for less impact. It doesn't neccessarily have to be done in the morning, although that is the routine that I like. Sometimes a good swim or rinse at the end of the day also.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++