WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gren Anderson shelter

This is a wooden shelter nicely situated in a clearing on a side trail, about .2 west of the AT. There is a picnic table. Water is downhill 200 feet. Didn't see a privy. No bunks, but raised floor is big enough to sleep eight. Looked nice and clean. The one-way scenic road called Sunrise Highway is just below the shelter, you can see it through the trees. It is lightly traveled and no overnight parking is allowed on it. Hitches to Culver's Gap (3 miles) wouldn't work, as the traffic is northbound only.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Unhappy Privy Not Private

Quote Originally Posted by Deb
    . Didn't see a privy. y.
    its a box to the right and behind the shelter. its not secluded at all. most use it during the night or are brave to let it all hang out.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

I smell like New Jersey... SGTdirtman's Avatar
    Images

I liked this shelter, the natural spring at the shelter is extremely clean cool water... the privy is as stated pretty out in the open but its not a big deal, tons of room around the shelter for setting up camp as well. The shelter is close but not too close to a road but I thought this was good cause rangers seem to monitor this shelter a bit more than others because of it... There is a lil place that sells sandwiches and soda right off rt 206 not to far from the shelter as well. good place to grab some real food

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

Stayed here over the weekend of 8/21/2009. Very clean, nice surroundings, and a one way road that leads out of the Stokes State Forest should you so desire to leave. Probably room enough to squeeze eight. There is a large metal bear box about 50 yards away. A picnic table too. There are also some nice camping spots behind the shelter, and next to the AT where the trail to get to the shelter intersects. A really nice water source about 75-100 yards away. Granted it was raining when we got there, the mosquitoes seemed not as bad as the rest of the area surrounding. No privies to be seen... crap in the woods on this one!
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Thumbs up New Privy at Gren Anderson

I just stopped by to check the spring at the Gren Anderson shelter over the weekend. NO WATER, but I guess the NY/NJ Trail conference got tired about hearing about the privy situation- a BRAND NEW mouldering privy has been built to the Northeast of the shelter. It's really nice, and so new there wasn't even so much as a spider web inside! It's also painted white inside and has a skylight. What atmosphere!! haha Great job and thanks to the NY/NJ Trail Conference and it's members.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by petunia View Post
    I just stopped by to check the spring at the Gren Anderson shelter over the weekend. NO WATER, but I guess the NY/NJ Trail conference got tired about hearing about the privy situation- a BRAND NEW mouldering privy has been built to the Northeast of the shelter. It's really nice, and so new there wasn't even so much as a spider web inside! It's also painted white inside and has a skylight. What atmosphere!! haha Great job and thanks to the NY/NJ Trail Conference and it's members.
    Yes, I was there last week and it had a "WET PAINT" sign on it and smelled of fresh cut wood. Beats the toilet under the stars that was there before for sure!
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Ha. Too bad I missed you by a week. That would have been funny.

Serial Hiker
    Images

We were just passing through on a day hike. Hope all is well.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

the new privy was given a 4 star rating from my travel companions and the south bounder (whisper)we met at Mashipacong:
    3 stars for having toilet paper and no strong odors, and the 4th star was for the artwork in the privy...
    we only stopped for a lunch break and to collect water from the spring below the shelter, but it seemed like a great place
    for an overnight - ran into a couple of nobo's who said they saw a couple of bears early in the morning on their hike up to
    Mashipacong...

++ New Posts ++