WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by longhiker View Post
    Judging by the reviews on Amazon, that book appears to be selling fear..

or maybe the people reviewing it just like to be afraid.
    I think a better source of bear knowlege would be Bear.org of the North American Bear Research Center. They don't peddle fear, just teach what they have observed.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

I think you just have to do what is working for you. With how loose or tight you adhere to knowledgable practices consistent with the type of threat your in.
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

We were in the boundary waters of MN/Canada for our honeymoon and had several bear visits. One was a VERY LARGE male who made his way out to an island where we were camping. The food was hung and the camp was clean. He tried for the food bag then circled around the tent a few times and about that time we realized we still had an open pack of gun in the tent. He stopped on my side sniffing so close the nylon was moving in and out. He stayed there for a while, tried for the food bag again, then moved on. We've had other incidents with bears circling at night with our food in the tent with us, but no problems. I really think they are strictly looking for food and determine the risk isn't worth the reward if people are present. I agree with the “possession” theory. Of course there are exceptions with some bears who have lost their fear of people and with older grizzlies who see people as an easy meal, but for the most part people in tents are left alone at night.

To better understand bears I recommend a great DVD called “Staying Safe in Bear Country” presented by the Safety in Bear Country Society in cooperation with the International Association for Bear Research and Management. It doesn't push fear, but is intended to increase knowledge of bear behavior and to help prevent bear encounters and attacks. It's a good visual presentation to help read and understand bear behavior in order to appreciate them in their environment.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Peddling fear is entertainment and sells.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

two days ago, 3 feet from the front stoop of my parent's house, not far from thornton gap.
    Last edited by the goat; 07-01-2010 at 14:21.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Quote Originally Posted by longhiker View Post
    I know (and practice) about keeping a clean campsite, cooking far from the campsite, storing food yet somewhere else and so on..

but I am just curious -- how often does a black bear actually disturb a tent in which people are sleeping?

If rarely, why is that? Are they afraid of what tents look like?
    They're afraid of the zippers (Just like Sheep) that's why I wear a kilt in the puckerbrush......
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Butterfly Farts. Now I need to put hearing THAT on my Bucket List!

Quote Originally Posted by Manwich View Post
    Bears will run away when a butterfly farts. So long as you're still breathing, you're gonna be okay.
    What a mind picture!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been hiking for 30+ years and hadn't seen a bear on the trail (One at a shelter at night and one in a neighborhood back yard near an access trail in NY).
    I HAVE heard VERY heavy animals tearing through the woods in the opposite direction when I've approached them on the trail on numerous occasions. Could've been just about anything, but I didn't always hear the tell-tale pounding of hoofed feet.
    Most folks will concur that black bears,though extremely curious are, for the most part VERY afraid of adult humans. I can only imagine how terrified they are to hear me snore at night.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Hike smarter, not harder.

I don't know that they never do anything to an occupied tent. A bear pulled a lady out of a tent in the Sandias (New Mexico) a couple of days ago. They did have food, and a small barky dog stored in the tent too.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

2010 complete

What about hammocks? Does the risk go up with a smaller setup and in the trees? Do we resemble a food bag at that point? When I slept in my hammock I was concerned about being bumped.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    What about hammocks? Does the risk go up with a smaller setup and in the trees? Do we resemble a food bag at that point? When I slept in my hammock I was concerned about being bumped.
    You are now infinitely more likely to get struck by lightning than disturbed by a bear, now that you're tied to two grounding trees.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Bears are attracted to scents, even from food wrappers, sunscreen toothpaste, bug repellant, cookware, even from food odors left on clothing if you cooked in that clothing. Some bears associate humans with a possible food source(read Chin Music's post above). Some bears are curious.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawker View Post
    I read somewhere that a current theory is the psychology of the bear understands possession or 'property rights'. If they see something out in the open it is fair game and that is why some people will tell you that hanging food is bad because it will bring around persistent bear activity.
    There may also be 'criminal' bears that don't care about property rights and are inclined to mug you.

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    There may also be 'criminal' bears that don't care about property rights and are inclined to mug you.

Panzer
    LOL you can tell those bears by the bandanas pulled up over their snouts!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    LOL you can tell those bears by the bandanas pulled up over their snouts!
    Or caps worn bill backwards...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Or caps worn bill backwards...
    LOL and they pants hanging off their butts~!

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++