WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

What do yu think about the gravity filters?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    What do yu think about the gravity filters?

I only used one made for a group - made by Katadyn, and the thing took forever. We have also used Steripens, but they soak of battery power too and were unreliable with other hikers.

I go back to my trusty Aqua mira for the AT

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Registered User writeronthestorm's Avatar

I already own a bunch of gear and at first I thought I would just take what I had but after researching a bit I've decided to upgrade in several departments. My main obstacle right now is money, so I'm really trying to limit the amount of gear that I buy, and the amount I will spend per item.

As far as clothes go, I'm sticking with what I have, except that I plan on buying a lighter fleece for the warmer months.

I don't own Trekking Poles, and I've never used them before, but I decided I should take the advice or prior thru-hikers and buy some, especially since my knees are pain-prone.. Plus I need them for my shelter.

I upgraded from a tent to a shelter, the Golite Shangri-La.

I've decided to go with a 40 degree bag for the warmer months, and currently don't own one. Looking at Mont Bell, Kelty and Mountain Hardware... Also going to pick up a silk liner to supplement my 20 degree North Face bag.

Plan on upgrading to a lighter, smaller pack. Leaning toward the GG Vapor Trail at the moment.

I also really need a camera. Normally I backpack with a Nikon D3000, but I really don't wan't to haul that massive camera 2,000 miles. With that said, I can't find much in the way of point-and-shoot that take regular AA batteries.

I still need to buy some various small pieces of gear, such as dry-sacks, stuff sacks, lighter cordage for bear bagging (currently use para-chord, but I'm thinking that its overkill), and other odds and ends.

There are a couple areas where one minute I think I'm set, and the next I'm not sure. It seems every time I read something I'm questioning my gear choices.

Quote Originally Posted by writeronthestorm View Post
    There are a couple areas where one minute I think I'm set, and the next I'm not sure. It seems every time I read something I'm questioning my gear choices.
    Well, that makes me feel better - I thought it was just me! Santa is bringing me (hopefully!) the last couple of items I'm looking for, then that 'should' be it.

BHESS: Don't panic - it'll all fall together. IMHO, the first thing to chose (if you don't have one already) is a pack. No point in gathering all kinds of great gear only to realize it won't fit in your pack. Once you're settled on one you're excited about carrying for 4-6 months, then you'll have some of your gear choices narrowed down for you.

See you all on the trail!!!

TF
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=Blissful;1074207]Aqua mira is all you need. A filter will only break. Guaranteed
    MSR Pocket Rocket is a great stove. I used it for my son and I in '07.QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Have you used it every day, several times a day for weeks? The Katadyn is a better filter, but I started with many SOBOS this year and EVERY single one had a broken pump in several weeks (they could not pump with it or pumping took forever. I don't know exactly what broke but it was useless to them). Even my son took his in '07 and it busted in several weeks (it was a Katadyn too, and it was a mechanism in that case). All the SOBOs went to Aqua mira. You don't need a filter on the AT. It's heavy and cumbersome. Just avoid the beaver ponds in VT and the streams in the meadows with cattle. I have a very sensitive stomach. I never got a water borne illness, and this year I had to forage for water like you wouldn't believe. Make sure you have maps also, which tell you about the sources - if they are beaver ponds. And trust the companion when it says you can get water from certain sources.
    Update: We now have everything except:

Packas
    Heavyweight thermals
    Down camp jacket (me)
    Hat (me)
    Gloves (DH)
    Balaclava (DH)
    First aid kit
    Toiletries
    Extra shoelaces
    Garbage bags (pack liner)

Blissful - we don't like chemicals and avoid them as much as possible, the AquaMira is only a last resort. We have the MSR Miniworks and it's worked great so far. From what I've read, if you do the proper minimal maintenence, water pumps will last for a very long time.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

All gear is ready and good to go. (I think I hope)
    Leaving GA 3/9/11
    My pack list is attached as a pdf file.
    Never cut anything in half...You might end up with 2 pieces you can't use.
    Pop Jones

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius"

Quote Originally Posted by Unklmarty View Post
    Leaving GA 3/9/11
    3/Pt, 3/S&S, 4/soup, 4/HC, 3/SE&B, 3/dinner

Hi Unklmarty - wondering what your food abbreviations are? I get soup and dinner, but wondering about Pt, S&S, HC, & SE&B...

tf

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    3/Pt, 3/S&S, 4/soup, 4/HC, 3/SE&B, 3/dinner

Hi Unklmarty - wondering what your food abbreviations are? I get soup and dinner, but wondering about Pt, S&S, HC, & SE&B...

tf
    PT - Pop Tart
    S&S - Sweet and Salty Nut bars from Nature Valley
    HC - Hot Chocolate
    SE&B - Scrambled Eggs & Bacon from Mountain House
    Pop Jones

Confucius"

Everything ready with exception of guidebook and data book, ordered them today!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Journal Entries
    Images

Waiting on My Zpacks tent comes Mid feb and 2 more shopping trips for food. All the rest of my gear bought and I have to purchase my maps tomm. Then I am good to go. March 2 out the door.....
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

PT - Pop Tart
    S&S - Sweet and Salty Nut bars from Nature Valley
    HC - Hot Chocolate
    SE&B - Scrambled Eggs & Bacon from Mountain House
    thanks!

tf

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Leaving GA 3/9/11
    Your pack weight is gonna get to you by Neels Gap guaranteed.

You don't need a GPS for the AT. Map suffices
    You have an extremely heavy sleeping bag and fleece liner is heavy compared to silk
    Only need Aqua mira for water

You have way too many water bottles
    Don't need a space blanket, bug net, back scrubber (?)
    Batteries you can get in towns
    Don't need all those tent stakes.

Do you have an insulated jacket?
    You have convertible pants, don't need hiking shorts too

Carabiners are heavy, IMO

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Your pack weight is gonna get to you by Neels Gap guaranteed.

You don't need a GPS for the AT. Map suffices
    GPS is to document trip and upload to google earth
    You have an extremely heavy sleeping bag and fleece liner is heavy compared to silk
    the SB keeps me warm down to 20 degrees, the liner is silk
    Only need Aqua mira for water
    I've been using the Hiker for 10 years without failure. I'm not giving it up
    You have way too many water bottles
    I use the 3L bladder in the pack The 2 1L are roll-up platypus just in case. The 4L is also a roll-up for use in camp
    Don't need a space blanket, wife request, nuff saidbug net, I hate bugs in my faceback scrubber (?)weights 2 grams and is for in-town use
    Batteries you can get in townsI always carry spares
    Don't need all those tent stakes.In the past I have lost a couple along the way and besides they are very light

Do you have an insulated jacket? I am wearing my outer wind-proof/water-proof jacket with a fleese jacket under. This setup has kept me warm down to 5 degrees
    You have convertible pants, don't need hiking shorts too Hiking shorts are very lightweight and can also be used for swimming. They will probably be the first thing to go

Carabiners are heavy, IMOI agree but I still want to have them around if needed
    Thanks for your comments
    Pop Jones

Confucius"

Journal Entries

I have my pack, my hennesy deluxe hammock, my stove, some socks, the shirts, eating utensils and pots, a camelbak, my coat, and poncho. I'm still needing to buy the books and maps, the sleeping bag and mat, and treking poles, oh yes and a waterfilter. and most other small things I already have.

I have:
    GoLite Jam
    MSR gravity filter
    Hennessey UL Backpacker ASym
    socks, rope,
    SP900, mini-atomic
    Marmot bag
    Keen Sandals
    Merrell Moab Ventilators
    Northface Rain Jacket
    REI trekking poles
    headlamp
    shorts
    ... and a few other little things.

I have the book.. and don't see a need to buy maps.. need to find a few base layer items and I'm nearly complete

I've had all my gear since 2009. Since then, it's been upgrading, lowering weight, adjusting. Funny thing is I bought the lightest and best money could get. For those items..there still is no newer greater better item. I'm ready!

Thumbs up

ruffwear is the best money can buy:

Hello everyone! Looks like I'll be leaving March 10 - 15 from Springer, so hope to see some of you out there. I've been researching gear, ordering some, etc.
    I think I'm going to stick with my Vapor Trail for a pack, I just got an REI Halo 25 degree bag, and I think I'm going to get a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo tent, rather than use the Gatewood Cape that I have in the past.
    I've been trying out trail shoes, so I don't have to use the Vasque Sundowners that I have (I love them, but they are a lot more boot than I need), and I think I'm going to keep the Keene Voyageurs I've got now.
    I was just given a Packafeather alcohol stove for Christmas, which I think is pretty cool (first alcohol stove), and now I can't wait till Mid-March!

like alot of other backpackers I am constantly improving my gear set but I have pretty much gotten my gear perfectly tuned to eachother and just how i like it over the years of doing other backpacking trips and experimenting with various ultralight options.
    ther will be a few things im changing, instead of taking my pocket rocket like i planned before I am starting to think maybe alcohol stoves are best, and mostly because of questionable availability of iso-butane canisters....
    I usually sleep under my poncho/tarp but since its pretty wet in the appalachias I think i may go with a larger tarp, and instead of using a poncho for the rain I might get a packa,
    I just really hate to get rid of one lightweight multi-use item like a ponco and replace it with a tarp and another rain set.... maybe some of you have some food for thought or suggestions for me.

In 2006, I believe it was, I hiked about 400 miles, from Harriman State Park in New York to Harper's Ferry.
    During that trip, I slept in a shelter one night; the rest of the time I was using my tarp/poncho (The Gatewood Cape). I've thought about it, and I think that this time I am going to use separate rain gear (well, a jacket), and a really lightweight tent like the Lunar Solo. I mean, it weighs 23 oz, so it's really not that unreasonable, I don't think. It's just that I don't want to use my shelter as rain gear.
    And while it DOES sort of bother me that I am taking 2 separate pieces of single-use gear with me, I just think it makes more sense. Especially as I plan to use it over shelters as much as possible.
    As far as the stove goes, I was using an MSR Superfly. I was also worried about fuel canisters, but I found that they were available- maybe not as plentiful as alcohol, but available nonetheless.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++