WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

I have almost everything I need to hike. The only thing I absolutely need are new boots. My faithful, wonderful Merrils finally died this spring. I am, however, looking into upgrading a lot of my gear for the hike and replacing a few items that are worn out or lost. When I first started backpacking I got inexpensive (read: heavy and bulky) gear and I'd like to replace a lot of it with lighter, smaller, more efficent equipment.

The items slated for replacement:
    Pack - going to a smaller and lighter model
    Sleeping bag - I think I'm going to switch to a down bag. I have no complaints about my synthetic bag. It's given me 10 years of trusty service, but down is lighter and packs smaller.
    Rain Gear - In the past I've used cheap $0.98 ponchos and a heavy storm proof foul weather jacket. The poncho was light, but the jacket kept me dry. I'd like to find something that combines both qualities.
    Long Underwear - What I have now is fine for the warmer months, but I'd like something better for the cold nights down South in early spring.
    Music Player - I don't need it, but I want it. My current mp3 player doesn't have a lot of memory and needs to be plugged into a computer to recharge the battery.
    Stove and Cookset - Again, my current set up is great, but I can reduce my pack weight if I replace it with a lighter stove.

Items to buy:
    Maps - I only have maps for the Northern half of the trail and will have to buy maps for the South.
    Boots - I had a great pair of Merrils that only gave me one blister ever, but after 500 miles they just didn't have any life left in them.
    Camera Case - I dropped it in the ocean and it was last seen sailing merrily towards Portugal.
    Socks, Underwear, maybe a couple Bandannas - These items are a little worn out so I'll replace them before the hike to save the trouble of replacing them a couple hundred miles up the trail.
    Current Guidebook - The latest edition I have is from 2007, so I'll purchase the 2011 edition of the Companion when it comes out.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm trying to be very critical with my gear purchases. I could easily blow a grand or more on all new stuff, but I'd rather have that money for hiking. A lot of the little stuff I already have and will bring with me. It's just a handful of big items that will be upgraded, primarily to save weight.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post

Rain Gear - In the past I've used cheap $0.98 ponchos and a heavy storm proof foul weather jacket. The poncho was light, but the jacket kept me dry. I'd like to find something that combines both qualities.
    Have you heard of the Packa? Its a poncho and pack cover.

http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page346.html
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

I have heard of the Packa and it's one of the options I'm looking into for rain protection. Every review I've seen for it has been positive and it's a dual use piece of gear, which is always a plus.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    One other alternative is to carry the Folger's or other brand of Coffee Singles. In my opinion they are better than instant, but not quite as good as the regular ground coffee. They come in a box of something like 20, and they are in a tea bag which can easily be brewed in hot boiling water, and the nice thing is they are very light.
    Never thought of that, Maybe I'll pick some up for my next trip.
    The MSR MugMate filter does work but I did not get good results, Maybe the water was too hot, I poured right at the boiling point, I had to use the filter like a tea bag, moving it around and leaving it in longer, By the time I started to drink the coffee, it had already started to cool.

Images

I have heard of the Packa and it's one of the options I'm looking into for rain protection. Every review I've seen for it has been positive and it's a dual use piece of gear, which is always a plus.
    I have the Packa, Haven't had to use it yet but Eddie Hinnant improved the new ones with seam taping, The original model apparently leaked at the seams but that is resolved and he has a few colors to choose from I believe. I have the XL Charcoal one and it fits me(5'11" and 280 lbs.) and my 68 Liter backpack quite well, Even with the pack stuffed real full.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I have the Packa, Haven't had to use it yet but Eddie Hinnant improved the new ones with seam taping, The original model apparently leaked at the seams but that is resolved and he has a few colors to choose from I believe. I have the XL Charcoal one and it fits me(5'11" and 280 lbs.) and my 68 Liter backpack quite well, Even with the pack stuffed real full.

How bulky is the Packa when you're not wearing it? Does it pack away easily? Do you know how much it weighs?

That was one of my concerns about new rain gear. I want something that will fold up small and stow easily without taking up much space in my pack. That's the problem with my current rain jacket, it's too bulky. It's totally rain and windproof, and even works well as a cold weather outer layer, but it takes up too much room inside (or even outside) my pack.
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

Its 13 ounces. You can get an idea of the size of it from watching the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y6Be...ext=1&index=41
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

ive got almost no gear so far but ive done so, so much research at this point it will take no time to get it all together. ive been looking at food heavily now and ive found that through my job ive got a lot of options that are cheaper and lighter then on the open market. ive decided on a pack, sleeping bag, purifier, bladder, and just about everything else. the boots are still an empty place on the list but i must have looked at hundreds of them. regardless it will all be obtained in the coming months in order to get used to the pack weight.
    "I didn't jump to conclusions. i took a small step, and there conclusions were."

Images

Default My Packa

How bulky is the Packa when you're not wearing it? Does it pack away easily? Do you know how much it weighs?

That was one of my concerns about new rain gear. I want something that will fold up small and stow easily without taking up much space in my pack. That's the problem with my current rain jacket, it's too bulky. It's totally rain and windproof, and even works well as a cold weather outer layer, but it takes up too much room inside (or even outside) my pack.
    I don't have a scale to weigh mine but it is supposedly around 13 ounces, It does not feel heavy, 13 ounces sounds about right, It packs into it's own large zippered pocket and measures 14 1/2" X 9 1/2" X 2 1/2", Rolled up it measures 9 1/2" X 3", The soda can is 2 1/2" X 5" So rolled, it is about the size of 2 soda cans stacked on top of each other, It actually rolls up smaller than my Marmot Precip when rolled.

Images

I just bought my $130 potato chip bag (neoair) sleeping pad and my Snow Peak Trek 900 pot.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Thumbs up NeoAir and 900

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I just bought my $130 potato chip bag (neoair) sleeping pad and my Snow Peak Trek 900 pot.
    I have the NeoAir Large, Expensive? Yes, But it is sure comfortable and reflects your body heat back at you. I have a Snow Peak 600 and 700, Both are nice pieces of gear. My cook pot is on the way, I went with an Evernew Non-Stick Titanium 1900ML, I like the Non-Stick pots for cooking and real easy clean up, and the Lid is a non-stick fry pan.
    Enjoy your new gear, I know you will.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

I have the NeoAir Large, Expensive? Yes, But it is sure comfortable and reflects your body heat back at you. I have a Snow Peak 600 and 700, Both are nice pieces of gear. My cook pot is on the way, I went with an Evernew Non-Stick Titanium 1900ML, I like the Non-Stick pots for cooking and real easy clean up, and the Lid is a non-stick fry pan.
    Wow! I was looking to use a SP Trek 700 as my MAIN cook pot. I havent purchased anything yet though. I think an almost 2 liter pot would take up about half of my pack! 8 )) Of course, if youre going to be drinking as much coffee as you say you are...

Images

I'm not too worried about the durability of the Neoair but I am worried about the noise of the plastic-like material. I move around alot when I sleep so I hope I don't keep anyone awake in the shelters.

You'll be able to cook some nice meals in that 1900ml pot. Did u mean 900ml or is it really 1900ml?
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Default Cooking setup

I'm not too worried about the durability of the Neoair but I am worried about the noise of the plastic-like material. I move around alot when I sleep so I hope I don't keep anyone awake in the shelters.

You'll be able to cook some nice meals in that 1900ml pot. Did u mean 900ml or is it really 1900ml?
    The 1900ML is correct, The pot with frypan lid weighs 10 ounces, not too bad, My SP 700 was bought early on and I realized it would be too small for my appetite, You don't get to be 285 lbs. by eating only ramen, I am also a messy cooker so if my meal is at the top of the pot, by the time its done, half of it would be on the ground. I have lightened my load in other areas so I have no problem with the weight of a good size pot, And the frypan lid will come in handy for frying nice and crispy Bacon, mmmm Bacon!!!
    Evernew offers the same Non-Stick pot/frypan in a 900 and 1300 also. I prefer the Macaroni and cheese deluxe meals instead of the cheap little box ones with powdered cheese, I will need the larger pot for the macaroni. My SP700 is so light I will probably still bring it to boil water for Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate etc... It's only 5 ounces and I like my drinks to taste the way they were intended and not coffee with a hint of mac and cheese.

Images

Forgot to mention the NeoAir, I bought the fast and light repair kit which weighs as much as a sheet of paper, I always bring a repair kit no matter what type of mattress or pad I've used. It is a little noisy but from what I've read about Thru-Hiking, I and all other hikers will be so exhausted that it is unlikely that the noise will bother them or me for that matter.
    I plan to use a tent and pitch away from the shelters to avoid rodent infiltration anyway, I am not planning to spend even one night in a shelter, I will probably hang around for social interaction and head to my camp at bedtime. I used my NeoAir over Memorial Day weekend and even though I had not done any hiking, I was tired enough that I did not notice the noise from the NeoAir, I also have the Thermarest fitted sheet on mine and then with the sleeping bag on top of that the noise was pretty well muffled.

Images

I just got my Neoair and love it. The videos on youtube make it look undurable and noisy. Its not noisy at all and feels durable and it's very comfortable even though my legs hang off of it. It seems like what ever will put a hole in the neoair would put a hole in any other inflatable mattress. It came with a little patch I think.
    -Edward Abbey

Journal Entries

I don't have most of my gear yet. Just to throw that out there. I am gathering and accumulating, but I'm no where near done yet.
    He who forms the mountains,
    creates the wind,
    and reveals his thoughts to man,
    he who turns dawn to darkness,
    and treads the high places of the earth—
    the LORD God Almighty is his name.
    -Amos 4:13

Images

I don't have a scale to weigh mine but it is supposedly around 13 ounces, It does not feel heavy, 13 ounces sounds about right, It packs into it's own large zippered pocket and measures 14 1/2" X 9 1/2" X 2 1/2", Rolled up it measures 9 1/2" X 3", The soda can is 2 1/2" X 5" So rolled, it is about the size of 2 soda cans stacked on top of each other, It actually rolls up smaller than my Marmot Precip when rolled.

Thanks for the info!
    Mobilis in Mobili

Images

You are welcome!!
    Glad to help.

I still need to narrow down my shelter..debating on freestanding or non-freestanding shelters. Possibly will get a Tarptent. I am getting some work done on my pack by the good folks at ULA (Great packs by thrus for thrus). I have to break in a pair of reserve boots for my hike. Order the 11' Companion.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++