WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: just a worry ?

Images

:banana just a worry ?

im doing a nobo in march of 2011 about how far apart does one find water, im worried of running out is this a normal newbie thing to worry about?

Not an issue for most folks unless theyelect to hike without a trailguide as the guides indicate distance between sources of reliable water. Late season thru hikers and section hikers hiking out of the normal throughhike season have to possibly work a bit more looking for water and may have to carry some to camp at thier favorite place, but it is more of a planning issue than an actual one.

Journal Entries
    Images

when i did some sections in 2007 there was a lot of dry areas - heck - even when the overnight temps dropped into the 50s it was STILL so dry there wasn't even a drop of dew on the tents.
    but we've been having such a wet year -- since we had all that rain last fall (2009).
    worry: no. be smart: yes.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

trail guide you speak of where can i find these?

Water management is not just a "newbie" thing...this is one area I'm still working on. Nothing more frustrating than tanking up w/lots of water for a supposed dry stretch, hiking on a mile or two then finding plentiful water! Or the opposite, carrying very little water and finding out the so-called reliable water sources are nonexistent!

Quote Originally Posted by bluffhead View Post
    trail guide you speak of where can i find these?
    You are near Raliegh?
    try REI or Great Outdoor Provision for a current guide.

"trail guide you speak of where can i find these?"
    A quick search of these forums will turn up multiple threads discussing and debating the merits of the various guides, such as this one:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ght=guide+book

Given that you're asking that question, you might also look through the "thru hiking info" link at the top of the page here, at the various prep articles.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

Be concerned and aware, but don't "fret" over finding water.

I typically start the day with one and a half or, occasionally, two liters of water. This is sometimes enough for the entire day, sometimes only enough until lunch, which I make sure to take near a water source and re-fill. I find I'm comfortable carrying that amount, and I very rarely feel the need to "ration" my water. I just drink whenever I feel like it. I usually follow this routine even in areas with plentiful water. Keep in mind, that the more limited number of water sources you use, the lower your risk of contracting some water-born nasty.

As others have pointed out, you need to check your map or guide each day to make certain you will have one or two choices for water along the way, and it is almost always the case that you will have several choices. If any doubt, check your remaining water before passing-by a good source. It becomes a play-by-ear type of planning. Nothing you need to worry over here in the east, but something you do need to consider each day so that you aren't caught off-guard by the rather rare dry sections.

Be assured, you'll figure it out as you go along. This isn't really like desert hiking, where you can really get into serious trouble.

Images

You will run out of water only once. After that, you'll never let it happen again. At least that's what happened to me. I don't know if I'll ever stop being concerned about water on the trail. I've been sectioning since 2003, and all my other 'worries' have abated. mail drops, finding a camping spot, wild animals, insects, pooping in the woods, snakes, being alone. I don't much concern myself with any of that anymore. But I am still mindful of where the water is and how much I need to carry. It must be a basic instinctual thing.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Make sure you have maps and the ALDHA companion or similar

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

One of the best sources of current information is hikers you pass travelling in the opposite direction. Be prepared to provide them with the same reliable information you seek.

2010 Water sources in PA is another good place to check. It's linked to the end of Pennsylvania water sources 2009 and the 2008 thread is linked in its opening post. The older threads provide much useful information and serve to illustrate what kinds of contributions to the new thread might be helpful to other hikers.

I've just provided another Companion link below for those who didn't notice.

......... and remember the best way to carry water is in your stomach.

Images

Not a big concern. you run out of water, the next water hole will not be too far away. No one has ever died on the A.T. from running out of water.

++ New Posts ++