WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What percentage of thru/section hikers get Lyme on thier trip (Your Best Estimate)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default What percentage of thru hikers get Lyme?

In NH, there is just under 1 case of confirmed Lyme Disease for every 1000 residents in a 1 year period.

The stats for all states are compiled by the CDC here: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme...sesbyState.htm

The ATC does not keep records on this important topic.

This poll asks for people's best estimate of the percentage of thru hikers and section hikers who contract Lyme during their 2000 mile trips.

I would say a very small % contract lime. If I had to guess I would say it is about 1 or 2%. Check yourself every night especially the further north you go and you should be fine.

I think 1 to 2% would be shockingly high. My guess is that the decimal should be moved over a place or two...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

Of our 400+ guests in 2009 I would say that at least 12 had been treated for Lyme Disease. So that's 3%...
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Of our 400+ guests in 2009 I would say that at least 12 had been treated for Lyme Disease. So that's 3%...
    Were they all treated that year? Were they treated because they had Lyme or was it prophylactic antibiotics?

3% sounds insanely high to me.

Images

And if you take out the SOBOs from the count who really haven't been through Lyme country yet, the percentage for NOBOs must be closer to 5%. I came across quite a few NOBOs with Lyme disease last year, and hiked with one SOBO who had it.

I think part of the problem might be accurately counting. For example, my up-to-recent hiking partner got off trail this past week and found a small tick burrowed into his chest. He started getting headaches and "general malaise" and went to a nearby hospital and got a prescription for Doxycycline. Did/does he actually have Lyme? I don't think anyone will ever know.

My wife hiked the 100 or so miles of the Shenendoah NP with us this year, and when she got home she had a raised rash on one calf and some Lyme-like symptoms so just yesterday she picked up the same antibiotic just to be sure.

Lyme freaks us out, or at least it does me, more than any other AT-related danger. Because if it's not identified in phase I or II, it can mess up a persons life. And because in only 80% of cases is a bulls-eye rash displayed, and because the deer tick larvae are so damned small, easy to miss.
    So I wonder how many people report Lyme based on a collection of real and/or mind-generated symptoms that aren't in fact Lyme? No way to tell, of course!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I think part of the problem might be accurately counting. For example, my up-to-recent hiking partner got off trail this past week and found a small tick burrowed into his chest. He started getting headaches and "general malaise" and went to a nearby hospital and got a prescription for Doxycycline. Did/does he actually have Lyme? I don't think anyone will ever know.

My wife hiked the 100 or so miles of the Shenendoah NP with us this year, and when she got home she had a raised rash on one calf and some Lyme-like symptoms so just yesterday she picked up the same antibiotic just to be sure.

Lyme freaks us out, or at least it does me, more than any other AT-related danger. Because if it's not identified in phase I or II, it can mess up a persons life. And because in only 80% of cases is a bulls-eye rash displayed, and because the deer tick larvae are so damned small, easy to miss.
    So I wonder how many people report Lyme based on a collection of real and/or mind-generated symptoms that aren't in fact Lyme? No way to tell, of course!
    I agree completely ....good observation!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    In NH, there is just under 1 case of confirmed Lyme Disease for every 1000 residents in a 1 year period.

The stats for all states are compiled by the CDC here: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme...sesbyState.htm
    Very interesting stats. It looks like it's becoming more common in the AT states, and growing very rapidly in most states from Virginia, north. Hikers are probably more exposed than the average person, though in some suburbs it's getting to be common (e.g., in Eastern Mass.).

Maybe we should post a poll on who has gotten lyme disease? Better chance of getting an accurate number?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    Maybe we should post a poll on who has gotten lyme disease? Better chance of getting an accurate number?
    Probably. But I was more curious as to how many people see Lyme as a relatively low threat on the AT. This poll suggests that is what many people think. My guess is that those who see the risk as low are less likely to do good tick checks and such. I think that would be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Probably. But I was more curious as to how many people see Lyme as a relatively low threat on the AT. This poll suggests that is what many people think. My guess is that those who see the risk as low are less likely to do good tick checks and such. I think that would be a mistake.
    Disagree with ya on that one. Lyme is a relatively low threat (on the AT or elsewhere), but there are lots of other tick-borne illnesses. I think most people are pretty aware of that and check themselves well...and just because you check yourself doesn't mean you don't still get lyme.

I'd be a prime example. Ticks LOVE me! (Seriously, they like plan missions to hang out on leaves until I come by and then they attack). I check myself constantly for ticks...and wear tons of deet. However, last summer, I ended up with lyme. (thanks Connecticut!)

2010 complete

Would a person be more apt to get lyme because they sleep in the shelters?

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    Would a person be more apt to get lyme because they sleep in the shelters?
    hmmm....no...unless of course the openness of the shelter keeps you from checking yourself as well?

Images

how would anyone actually know the answer to this question?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

2010 complete

I know it sounds far fetched. I guess I should research. I was just curious about the relationship with rodents, ticks and lyme. shelters = mice. And, at which point does the tick become infectious? Do they hatch with potential of making you sick, or do they acquire it from first biting deer, or rodents? hmmmm

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    hmmm....no...unless of course the openness of the shelter keeps you from checking yourself as well?
    so, would this support my theory?
    The Lyme disease bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi, normally lives in mice, squirrels and other small animals. It is transmitted among these animals – and to humans – through the bites of certain species of ticks.

....Larvae feed on mice, birds, and other small animals in the summer and early fall. When a young tick feeds on an infected animal, the tick takes bacteria into its body
    .....When the tick feeds again, it can transmit the bacterium to its new host.

********* the mouse population certainly is on the rise. Maybe there is a rise in infected mice, leading to a rise in higher transmission. ahh, just another reason for me to stay away from shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    so, would this support my theory?
    The Lyme disease bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi, normally lives in mice, squirrels and other small animals. It is transmitted among these animals – and to humans – through the bites of certain species of ticks.

....Larvae feed on mice, birds, and other small animals in the summer and early fall. When a young tick feeds on an infected animal, the tick takes bacteria into its body
    .....When the tick feeds again, it can transmit the bacterium to its new host.

********* the mouse population certainly is on the rise. Maybe there is a rise in infected mice, leading to a rise in higher transmission. ahh, just another reason for me to stay away from shelters.
    lol. That's funny, I just went and looked it up and was coming back to post that maybe you're right it would...lol, you beat me too it. So, yes, I'd say you're right.

Images

Default Lyme

There is a blunder in this reasoning though. Several disease offer lyme like symptoms but are not lyme. The treatment, however, is the same from what I understand. Instead of waiting for the results of the blood test to come back they go ahead and give the prescription.

I hiked the trail last year and several people had these symptoms and were taking meds. That is why I think it is important to look at confirmed cases as opposed to people treated for Lyme.

Default lyme disease

The topic of Lyme disease in thru or section hikers is of interest to the medical community. We know there is a high incidence in all of the areas where hikers travel. I am going to be looking at that in detail next year by conducting field research in Pennsylvania.

Please know this: the tick is tiny and many times unseen. They attach to the white footed mouse, which is prevalent at the shelters. Please check yourself frequently, and especially in between toes, belly button!

Doc Judy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++