WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Box for shipping or taking backpack on a plane?

http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=8725

What boxes have people used for shipping or taking a backpack on a plane? I found this one at uhaul designed for golf clubs that might do the job. This is the first year I plan to fly to a hike and have never had to deal with this before. I am thinking I will have my sister pick up a similar one on the other end for the return flight.
    Alex: What does Connecticut have to offer us?
    Melman: Lyme Disease.
    Alex: Thank you, Melman.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I wouldn't recommend a box because more than half of the time I fly with my backpack and gear it gets searched by the TSA. I don't know what triggers it, probably my stove (you can't put fuel in your checked bag, but the residue probably sets them off.) YMMV, but this has been my experience.

Check your airline's website for the maximum dimensions for checked luggage first. Then, tape measure in hand, head to an army surplus store and find the largest duffle bag that fits that description. If the TSA decides they want to rummage through your stuff, they just unzip the bag and rezip when done. They will leave a nice flyer in there, too, explaining that they've been poking around in youer stuff.

I guess this only works if you have someplace to store it until the return trip. I just leave mine in my rental car.

A duffle is certainly a good option when a person has a place to leave it. For a thru-hike this isn't an option unless you want the added hassle of then trying to mail the duffle home, or buying a cheap one and finding a place to dispose of it.

I've used the box option; note that you still have to dispose of the box somehow.
    I got a bad enough case of Giardia last week that I left the trail in New York and flew home unexpectedly, and will be flying back to resume this week. What I did for this as an ad hoc solution was to take the beefier black plastic bag (contractor bag or the like) that I had as a bag liner and I put my pack inside it, applied some duct tape to basically protect the bag that way and keep the various strapping from getting caught. I left just the grab loop at the top of the pack exposed, put my little airline information tag on that, and it all came through fine. I'll do the same going back, as it's not too difficult to dispose of a black plastic garbage type bag at the end. And FWIW, it was pretty easy to identify my bag on the other end.

Also FWIW, I had my (small alcohol) stove inside my cup/pot in there, along with --- in fact --- matches that I had forgotten to remove, and my bag hadn't been opened. I fortunately did remember to get rid of my small amount of remaining fuel and disposed of the bottle, however!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

I flew to Bangor last year with my pack as checked baggage in a cheap Walmart duffel bag. I then left then duffel bag at the AT lodge in Millinocket, so that a finishing northbounder could use it to fly home with their pack at the end of their hike.

Garlic
    Images

I have a couple extra of those big fabric storage bags for sleeping bags to put my pack in. I don't mind disposing of those if there's nobody around who wants it at the other end, or mailing it back would be too much of a hassle. I guess you could make something similar out of an old sheet.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

Coming home, l like Brian's idea--never thought of that. I'm usually not as worried about my pack at that point.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

My girlfriend tried to wrap her pack in a big plastic bag before checking it in at Greyhound, and they told her it was against their regulations.

I used an inexpensive duffle bag that someone gave me that they had gotten at a conference and left it at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega for someone going home from there to use.

Another option would be an inexpensive laundry bag.

Images

Army Navy surplus. Big canvas-like duffle - run you maybe $5-!0. Mine's been thru the following airports in 20 years - SEA, ANK, LAX, Ontario, PHX, PHL, Manchester, Gatwick, Frankfurt, Munich, Edinburgh and a few others I cannot think of right now and It is still in great shape. I pack my pack first and then place it inside the duffle with my boots on the end, before I close it all up. I think the most damage comes if there is a strap hanging out somewhere. But a properly secured duffle will be just fine.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Default Checking a duffle bag

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a box because more than half of the time I fly with my backpack and gear it gets searched by the TSA. I don't know what triggers it, probably my stove (you can't put fuel in your checked bag, but the residue probably sets them off.) YMMV, but this has been my experience.

Check your airline's website for the maximum dimensions for checked luggage first. Then, tape measure in hand, head to an army surplus store and find the largest duffle bag that fits that description. If the TSA decides they want to rummage through your stuff, they just unzip the bag and rezip when done. They will leave a nice flyer in there, too, explaining that they've been poking around in youer stuff.

I guess this only works if you have someplace to store it until the return trip. I just leave mine in my rental car.
    I check my backpack at least 10 times a year. I use the same approach, putting it in a duffle bag that I leave in a rental car.

To the best of my knowledge, my duffle has been opened only once. (TSA leaves a notice in a bag when they open it.) I wrap the burner of my jet boil in foil then put it is a zip lock. That seems to keep it from triggering the TSA equipment.

Just in case -- I put the Jet Boil in the top of my duffle, so that if they do open it, they don't have to dig to the bottom.

Shutterbug

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Army Navy surplus. Big canvas-like duffle - run you maybe $5-!0. Mine's been thru the following airports in 20 years - SEA, ANK, LAX, Ontario, PHX, PHL, Manchester, Gatwick, Frankfurt, Munich, Edinburgh and a few others I cannot think of right now and It is still in great shape. I pack my pack first and then place it inside the duffle with my boots on the end, before I close it all up. I think the most damage comes if there is a strap hanging out somewhere. But a properly secured duffle will be just fine.
    Gatwick not Paisley? Wow that is an old duffle. It would be worth a lot more than $10 if it lasted so long. I got a cheap on on ebay that lasted one trip. I think I will go back to the plastic bag.

"My girlfriend tried to wrap her pack in a big plastic bag before checking it in at Greyhound, and they told her it was against their regulations."
    And maybe this trick won't work all the time with the airlines either --- dunno. It was about all I could think of last week when I needed to fly home unexpectedly. I flew out of a pretty small regional airport; it wouldn't surprise me to get harassed about this at some point if I keep using this approach (but I'll be trying it again I hope this coming week to get back on trail ...).
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

I've used a box several times with zero problem.
    If the TSA folks have the technology to open up a cardboard box that is sealed with packing tape, they more than likely have the ability to reseal the box.
    As far as getting rid of the box once you pick it up at the baggage carousel, find the nearest recycling container or trash can and leave it there.
    The getting the pack home logistics can be a bit tougher. Last time I was out in the Sierras, we stayed in a hotel the night before we flew back home. When we booked the room, we called to make sure they would hold a package. Sent a box out that had not only a duffel to fly the pack back home, but also clean clothes, non hiking shoes, deodorant, etc. If you arent staying somewhere before the flight A trash bag and duct tape from the nearest hardware or convenience store does the trick.
    What? Me worry??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    ....If the TSA folks have the technology to open up a cardboard box that is sealed with packing tape, they more than likely have the ability to reseal the box.......
    Have you ever seen or spoke with these TSA folks you which you so fondly believe have the uncanny ability to match the sticky side of tape to the folded & closed end cardboard box??
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Have you ever seen or spoke with these TSA folks you which you so fondly believe have the uncanny ability to match the sticky side of tape to the folded & closed end cardboard box??
    My last trip out to California from the East I had a backpack and a number of other things inside a large duffle. It was searched by TSA (a note & sticker let me know). Here's the thing: when they repacked the bag, it was packed better than when I had done it. Possibly because they unpack and pack bags professionally. Plus I'm a mess.

Point being, let's not disparage every one of "these TSA folks" just because they're easy targets for derision.

As for the original question, as noted I go with a duffle. Mainly to protect the buckles & straps. The one time I just sent my pack without any protection, the airline put it inside a large clear plastic bag, so I can't imagine doing so yourself would be against the rules.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I also normally use an old duffle (thrift store $1), leave it in my rental car as I hike and use it again on the trip back. I normally dont pack my stuff into the backpack incase TSA goes snooping in there (which seems to be SOP flying from my town).

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

On the PCT, I was worried about damage to my pack when I was heading to the trail. So, I used a duffel bag and mailed it home from San Diego.

When I got to Canada, I couldn't have cared less what happened to my pack on the flight home. So I just removed the waist belt, cinched everything down, and hoped for the best. It came out fine. I'll probably just check the backpack loose in the future.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My pack is small enough I took it as a carry-on to Utah and packed most of my gear in a duffel bag, including stove and trekking poles.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Osprey Airporter LZ duffle
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to" JRRTolkien

Images

there are bags to turn your pack into a duffle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++