Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by LPoo View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help, here is my updated list! I also ordered a hennessy hammock which will be half the weight of my tent.
    This includes what I will be wearing.

-snake bite kit (its a suction thing that also works for stings) (I would ditch this)

-mosquito bracelets and repellent (just carry some DEET)
    -neosporin
    -2 t-shirts (1 is probably enough)
    -1 tank top
    -rain pants (I use a wrap rain skirt)
    -Convertible pants
    -1 pairs of shorts (your convertible pants are shorts)
    -Rain Jacket
    -jacket (you're carrying a thermal top already, what temps are you hiking in??)
    -BELT (???)
    -2 sports bras (wear 1 and let dry at night, wash with Dr. Bronners soap)
    -mini deck of cards(maybe)
    -brush(no handle) (can you use a comb??)
    -2 flashlights –(i wasn't sure if a head lamp in my price range would be any brighter. right now I have a back up flash light and a flash light tip that came with my solar charger. I am debating bringing my small, but heavier heavy duty light. Do you really use them that often?) (a head lamp is a must if you ever get caught still hiking after dark or have to fix your meal in the dark or set up your hammock in the dark)
    -toothbrush (I am experimenting with reusing a colgate wisp as a brush and just adding tooth paste when the one-use gel is gone) (I tried these things and hated them, try it before you head out)
    -deodorant (I've not met many people carrying this)
    -body glide (I wear hiking skirts and wont leave home without this stuff!!)
    -waterproof bags (ziploc)
    -stove (what kind??)
    -Bandana (I carry 2, these are so usefull for all kinds of chores)
    -hammock (is this a double layer so you can slid your sleeping pad between the layers?)
    -sleeping pad (what kind?)
    -sleeping bag (does this open up enough for you to use it like a quilt inside your hammock?)
    -stuff for blisters-(moleskin)
    -water filter (what does this weigh? you may want to ditch it for just the water treatment tabs)
    -water treatment tablets(backup) (use for your main water treatment)
    -shovel (I use a tent stake)
    -Compass (have you got a map???)
    -solar charger (depending on where your hiking may not get enough sun, what's the difference between it and some extra batteries?)
    -towel (this is where my second bandana comes in handy!!)
    -small pillowcase (no pillow) (???)
    -rope (what kind of rope, look for some 7/64ths Amsteel Blue it's very strong for either holding up your hammock or hanging your food)
    -Shoes (I hope you're talking about hiking shoes or boots!!)
    -Pack rain cover (also buy some trash compactor bags and use them as an inside the pack liner)
    Your list is looking better and better!! Where I've added comments, please take them with a grain of salt, you've got to hyoh (hike your own hike)! About your switching to a hammock, please go over to the hammock forum, so much info there. Does the hennessy come with a tarp?? And bug netting? Is it one of those bottom opening ones? You will need insulation under you and please don't think that your sleeping bag will be your under insulation, it wont. When you do get your hammock, please see if you can't test it out some before heading out on your trip. There is a learning curve with these things. Any items I left off your list was because I carry them too or couldn't think of any reason not to take them. Something I do carry is a device so I can stand up to pee and not have to squat. Plus I hike in skirts instead of shorts or pants. I do carry a pair of shorts for either nite time or butt scooting over rocks. If you've got the time, try hiking in a skirt. Much less to carry too. I too use a hammock, so best of luck with yours. Remember to hang it with your feet a tad higher than your head ! Yes you read that right, feet higher!! It tends to keep you from sliding down inside the hammock at night. good luck and keep whittling away on your pack items.
    TinaLouise

I'm female and I do not bring a change of clothes or a change of underwear. My hiking attire is a uniform, not a fashion show. I bring 3 pairs of socks and that is my only redundancy as far as clothing. It's silly to think that because you are female you have to burden yourself with tons of heavy "outfits" to wear each day. You are fooling yourself if you think that having a change of clothes means you'll be cleaner, too. In warm months you can wash your underwear and wear it dry if needed. Wash yourself after you use the bushes and you'll stay cleaner still.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I won't list my winter clothes. I carried the following after June 1
    Deuter 45+10 pack and rain cover
    32 degree sleeping bag, 45degree when it was hotter
    inflatable pad
    1 person tent
    small tyvek-like piece for under tent in rough areas ( I tore the tent floor on a rock so...)
    2 pair shorts (1 primarily for town and travel)
    3 shirts (1 for travel) -I decided I only need 2
    3 pair underwear
    3 pair socks 2 low, 1 crew
    boxer shorts to sleep in (not necessary but nice)
    2 sports bras
    rain jacket
    long sleeve cap 2 shirt
    pantyhose for chilly nights!
    camera
    glasses (sun and reading)
    I-Pod and charger
    deet spray
    after-bite (unnecessary)
    comb and hair clip
    sunscreen stick
    stove and fuel canister that fit inside small pot
    lighter
    tiny swiss army knife with scissors
    first aid-baggy with bandaids, neo, blister pads, moleskin
    earplugs

toothbrush and toothpaste
    Deodorant-I know, everyone smells. I break it off and put it in a fill canister.
    Handiwipes I use them in the evening to wipe off my legs, arms and face so my bag doesn't get gross. And they're good to clean panties
    water tablets
    vitamins
    pain pills
    headlamp
    1/2 full motel shampoo
    bladder and 2 empty 20oz Gatorade bottles
    I had a razor, lotion, and laundry soap in my mail drops

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Same as a guy. Throw in a bra and a few tampons and you're good to go.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I enjoy wearing women's underwear, as well as them being incredibly comfortable. I would recommend carrying a firesteel and learning how to use it. Too many hikers out there nowadays don't have wilderness survival skills. I built a fire in the Smokies in a shelter out of wood I dug out of 2 feet of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    In warm months you can wash your underwear and wear it dry if needed.
    This can give you crotch rot, actually. Wearing wet panties constantly can lead to problems. I have a dry pair to change into in camp, and I use baby powder also. If it is dark(I sunburn easily) and warm enough, my panties are my campwear. I have "rain shorts" I made from rain pants which double as camp pants as well, in case there are people around.

Hi I.Poo, I posted my list under packweight on the new posts section and oh boy, I am more confused than ever!!! I have been hiking for many, many years, it is actually part of my job as well! I was told to leave so much stuff out like even my thermals for night time even though I don't carry a spare change of outer clothing!!!! I have started hiking in a kilt and I love it, I do wear skins under it, but I used to wear skins under my shorts anyway. Just gives the private bits more air!!!! I only take two spare pair of undies and one spare bra. I rinse them out along the way. Whatever you do, remember that women (particularly as you get past 50) sleep far colder than their male counterparts do!

I've been going on long distance hikes for the past 7 years. I would ditch a handheld flashlight and get a headlamp. You can get one that takes AA or AAA batteries that is really light. If you have to set up your camp at night, you'll need two hands and it will be difficult to work when holding a flashlight.

Images

Just remember to stay flexible. If you are not using something nearly every day, ditch it at the next stop. I try to limit the weight of my clothes to 3 pounds including rain stuff. Difficult but doable. I use 3 prs of socks, 3 undies (one pr I am wearing, 1 pair that I am gonna wear and a spare pair and I use either nylon or microfiber cause they dry fast). LS shirt, SS shirt; 2 pr convertable shorts but only 1 pair of the legs, since they will work on both pr of short, fleece gloves, knit hat, Micropor rain jacket, Golite whim pants, 2 bandanas, down jacket, Hmm I think this is all and it comes in just under 3 pounds & a lot of comes from Walmart during their end of season sales. For really cold weather, I might toss in a vest (to hike in because the down is for camp use and to sleep in) and a pr of lightweight or mid-weight long johns. I sleep in the extra shorts with the legs on. As the weather warms, I can usually go around 2 to 2 1/2 pounds. Be careful of "sneaky" weight: heavy water bottles, heavy stuff sacks, etc.

I guess I don't really mind being skanky! I do not take an extra bra. If you are well endowed, you might want an extra bra but I don't mind going without if mine is wet.

As I said first, don't be afraid to send something you are not using home. You will probably end your hike with very different stuff than you started with. (except a shelter; it amazes me how many people ditch their shelter and rely on the trail shelters; as a woman, this would certainly limit my options just in case the shelter had a someone in it that set off my personal alarm. I would at least carry a piece of plastic to make a shelter if needed). And most importantly, enjoy yourself every day; the time will be over sooner than you think; Focus on enjoying every day and not on doing the miles.
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

I would suggest that you rethink wearing t-shirts. They are cotton, and once wet, will stay wet for a long time. I started wearing shirts that are "quick dry" when I started kayaking, and it has been so much more comfortable. Any kind of synthetic fabric will dry faster than a cotton t-shirt, and you will find that the wicking of the sweat to cool on hot days makes a lot of difference.

No solar charger. . . another poster said it right. . . you are going to be walking in a green tunnel. Nothing is going to solar charge unless you are taking a long lunch break on one of the overlooks.

No snake bite kit. If you are bitten, hike out - slowly, so as not to raise your heart rate too much - and get to a hospital. If you are stung, take Benedryl, and if necessary hike out to medical care for that.

Take one flashlight, preferably a headlamp. Take extra batteries for that.

No deodorant. Lord knows you're going to smell like everyone else out there, and no one uses deodorant.

You said "shoes" and "crocs" - surely you don't mean two pairs of shoes? Besides your boots, you mean? I only wear my boots. If you do take another pair of shoes, make it your lightest weight pair and for crossing creeks.

Take a regular toothbrush. Your teeth will thank us all later. Take travel toothpaste and get resupply tubes when in town.

A lot of what you're taking amounts to "duplicates" - ie: lighter and matches. I would make a choice on some of that and eliminate the duplicity. I've found that the waterproof matches don't always strike. The lighter pretty much does.

The baby wipes and the handsanitizer. . . pick one or use neither and just take the Bonner's soap and use it with a bandana. I take several bandanas - use one for filtering water if necessary, one for tying around my forehead for sweat, one for washing dishes, one for washing me. These are in different colors so I can tell which is which.

You will have a hundred opinions on this in no time. Best to take several "shake down" hikes before you actually leave, and try several different things. See what works for you. Just remember that you have to actually CARRY everything you put in your pack, and everything over 20 lbs. is heavier by the mile. If you can put stuff in a bounce box, do that some.

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

The people that took your list and whittled it down said everything I would. If you run with this revised list, you'll be waaaaay ahead of other thru-hikers. Heed the advise of seasoned pros. Wish I had. But then again, I guess it's all part of a thru.

Cheers!
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++