WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AT/LT Temporary Relo

The bridge over Big Branch is being replaced this summer. An extensive temporary re-route has been posted:
    https://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=203

Cosmo

Thaks, Cosmo. I'll be hiking the LT this fall. I hope the bridge is finished by then.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Good to know. I've found that when reaching Big Branch I've always used it to wash off several days of grime. In most situations and in many locations it is possible to wade across, if necessary.

Images

I was reading about this in the latest Long Trail newsletter from the GMC. I'm hoping it's finished by the time we go through also...

Default Construction Dates

Anyone know what the construction dates are? I did not see any mention of these.

Thanks - gpk

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Good to know. I've found that when reaching Big Branch I've always used it to wash off several days of grime. In most situations and in many locations it is possible to wade across, if necessary.
    If this is part of the AT, I have crossed it but I can't picture it at the moment. I can't imagine it is more difficult to ford than say the Kennebec, which some say isn't all that hard if you know where and when.

Images

PCT hikers would consider the dangers of fording Big Branch in Vermont laughable. Certainly after an extended rainy period it is indeed dangerous, but usually it is more rock hopping than fording.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    PCT hikers would consider the dangers of fording Big Branch in Vermont laughable. Certainly after an extended rainy period it is indeed dangerous, but usually it is more rock hopping than fording.
    that's what i was thinking

Construction begins "soon" through Sept 1st. It's being done by a Forest Service contractor. It's a wilderness area so it will be hand tools all the way. It would be neat to see them at work, but there is no easy detour near the bridge site. They really don't want to have to stop work every time there is a hiker wanting to cross.

If we have rain like last summer, fording will be particularly challenging--especially for AT hikers who have not had experience with wild rivers. The stream is not particularly wide, but has lots of big boulders creating deep holes and very fast currents. Even at low water times it's complicated, and you will get wet.

I'm sectioning the area this summer, and am disappointed I will miss being able to use the bridge.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I'm sectioning the area this summer, and am disappointed I will miss being able to use the bridge.

Cosmo
    I'm very glad to hear you'll be hiking this summer. For all your trail work you certainly deserve it. Have a great time and don't stop and clear water bars or pick up blow downs (I know you will).

Yes, it's getting pretty bad. I can't even get the paper w/o cleaning up the sidewalk on the way.

Cosmo

Aww man, probably isn't going to be finished for my LT through hiking in August. Guess i could hope for a dry spell in the days leading up to getting there.

Images

I hiked southbound to the former bridge site on June 13th. There was a construction crew of 3 working on a Sunday!!!

The shelter log at Big Branch Shelter indicates many AT and LT thruhikers are choosing to ford and forgoing the 3 mile detour. If you choose the detour you will miss Baker Peak....one of the best views in Vermont.

It had rained the previous day and it was definitely a "boots off" crossing. Glad I had my Crocs. The current was strong enough that I was happy to have a hiking partner who could help if I got into trouble. FYI...the mud is back in Vermont!!!

Manchester Center, VT

Good to see that they're working on it now. I'll be "thru" in Sept.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Due to lots of rain in the days leading up to crossing Big Branch, and steady rain the day I was going to cross (6/12) I took the conservative approach. I had planned to try and ford it, but it rained steadily for several hours before I would have gotten to it. The road walk just down right sucks. It's about a 10 mile road walk I think (the signs say that it adds 3 miles to hiking the AT to the same junction point where the AT crosses 10), and it is comprised of the Old Job Trail (appears to be a 4WD road) and 2 nicely graded forest service roads (30 & 10). The walk really stinks in the rain, and Old Job Trail was a mess (lots of mud and water running down it).

Thanks to all who provided info here. I'll be going southbound - figure I'll try to ford it unless there has been a recent downpour.

Images

It has been a rock hop for the last two weeks. Actually we need a little rain in Vermont. Had an AT thruhiker this week who told me he had been rained on while hiking only 5 days since Springer. Guess 2010 will be the "dry year".

Manchester Center, VT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    It has been a rock hop for the last two weeks. Actually we need a little rain in Vermont. Had an AT thruhiker this week who told me he had been rained on while hiking only 5 days since Springer. Guess 2010 will be the "dry year".

I've been worrying about this for awhile now, we need some rain for sure. I don't want to have serious problems finding water on the northern portion of the LT in late August/early September

Journal Entries
    Images

3 miles my &$$ it's more like 6-8 miles long. I now I walked it just for the heck of it. Just walk across the dang river, I'm really curious as how the trail clubs do there mesurements.
    I don't know

Actually, they aren't saying the re-route is 3 miles long. They are saying the re-route is 3 miles longer than than going on the LT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++