WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Cape Breton Nova Scotia

Hubby is being sent back up to Montreal. We've been to Nova Scotia and did a tiny bit of the trail near Cape Breton when we lived up there in 2006. Breath taking gorgeous. Anyone know the details of doing the whole Cape? We'd like to do it next summer.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Other trails to try:

Sentier de L'Estrie is sort of an extension of the Long Trail. Starts just over the border and runs up to the town of Richmond. About 200km according to their wb site, but I don't know how much of that is blue trails. I've never done it, but I grew up in that country. Very like the Green Montains, but not quite as high. The trail goes over Sutton and Orford.

On the other side of Montreal, there are lots of trails up in the parks in the Laurentian Mountains (Les Laurentides). It's great skiing country, and there are cross-country ski trails all over. Some of your hubby's work colleagues should be able to point him to some good spots, like Mont Tremblant. There are some really big, remote parks farther north as well. Parc de La Verendrye is right above Montreal. And in the summer, you can hike all over the ski trails nearer to the city. Lots of puds to explore! Have fun!

As for the Cape Breton Highlands trail, again I've never hiked it, but it has a wonderful reputation. If you like hiking mountainsides by the sea, you should be well served. However, the main part of the trail is pretty much wilderness, so I don't know how resupply works. Research!

And there is the Gaspe portion of the International AT. It seems to have a well developed hut style system, and it's fairly new, so I don't know what to expect except beautiful northern bush with views of the Gulf of St. Laurence.

This only scratches the surface: Quebec is mostly wilderness, like Alaska. Just move off the River routes a few miles and you are deep in the bush. Trails everywhere.

++ New Posts ++