WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default AT Closed to Camping from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap

Just got a message that the USFS has closed the AT to camping from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap due to bear activity:
    Due to the confirmed presence of at least one non-yielding bear that has become habituated to food brought into the Blood Mountain Wilderness and surrounding area by overnight campers, I am implementing a camping closure order until further notice along the Appalachian Trail from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap (see enclosed map) to protect public health and safety. Between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap, overnight camping is prohibited within one-quarter mile of the Appalachian Trail and within one-quarter mile of the Blood Mountain and Woods Hole Shelters. The camping closure will be lifted after further consultation with GA DNR regarding the bear activity and/or further food storage requirements can be implemented in this area.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...

Images

Is there a detour around the closing.

You can still hike this section; you just can't camp on this section.

The Freeman Trail is a detour if you don't care to go over Blood Mtn too. It doesn't appear to be impacted by the bear activity, but there's also no camping along it either.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...

They haven't plugged that critter yet?

I thought you Southerners were better hunters/shots than that...........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Trail name (and nickname since I was about 2): Chopper

Yep, just got off the phone with ATC (starting my first NOBO section hike from Amicalola on Sunday morning). Now a 21-mile gap between shelters...

Does anybody know anything about camping in the Dan Gap/Burnett Field Mountain area (just before Jarrard Gap, 25 miles north of Springer) or the Bull Gap area (just past Neels Gap). Also, any word if the campsites at Jarred Gap and Neels Gap are still open?

Images

Default pre Jarrard

Quote Originally Posted by Philetus View Post
    Yep, just got off the phone with ATC (starting my first NOBO section hike from Amicalola on Sunday morning). Now a 21-mile gap between shelters...

Does anybody know anything about camping in the Dan Gap/Burnett Field Mountain area (just before Jarrard Gap, 25 miles north of Springer) or the Bull Gap area (just past Neels Gap). Also, any word if the campsites at Jarred Gap and Neels Gap are still open?
    Don't know about the end points, but I would not assume that they are open, although I think Jarrard Gap is the only question mark here.

There are campsites in that area you're talking about, including a real nice one by a stream. Or, are you asking about bear activity there? Site I'm thinking of is between Jarrard and Big Cedar, so not right before Jarrard, probably like mile 23.7 nobo give or take a few tenths.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I thought they were going to take care of this problem? At least that's what was mentioned a few weeks ago

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

word has it that the fearless local DNR law enforcement diligently set up their "bear operation" and then neglected to be ready when the bear showed up. evidently shots were fired and said bear got away. what a freakin' joke. it shouldn't be that hard, and this has gone on way way too long.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

The campsites around milemark 23.3 (where the stream crosses the AT) have been "returned to nature" - meaning trees now lay across the area as well as large rocks/boulders. There is a large flat spot at mile 23.0 - Dockery Lake Trail junction that would work for tenting, though I've noticed that the campfire ring there has been removed - the GATC may be discouraging camping there too. Apparently there are new tent pads to replace these spots further south on the trail - someone mentioned Miller Gap to me, but I'm not sure of that mile marker. I am not privy to info on bear activity at these locations - however, they are not far from Jarrard Gap (mile 25.7), of course, so if the bear is not finding food at Woods Hole or Jarrard Gap, he may wander down to these areas for his next meal. We've seen bear on our day hikes in all of these areas on a frequent basis, but of course do not know if it is the bear(s) that is routinely getting the hiker food bags.

Images

Does any one know if the campground at Lake Winfield Scott is open?

Any idea how long this is going to last?? My section hike is coming up fast..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by stewill View Post
    Does any one know if the campground at Lake Winfield Scott is open?
    According to the Chattahoochee NF website it's open but it does advise to check with the Blue Ridge Ranger District: 706-745-6928.

They have signs up about not leaving food and trash outside and to use the dumpsters but they are still open.

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Any idea how long this is going to last?? My section hike is coming up fast..

Graywolf
    It's only closed to camping. You can still hike through.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    word has it that the fearless local DNR law enforcement diligently set up their "bear operation" and then neglected to be ready when the bear showed up. evidently shots were fired and said bear got away. what a freakin' joke. it shouldn't be that hard, and this has gone on way way too long.
    Guess they'd better put a backpack in a bear trap and then fly the thing to Alaska

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Anyone know if this section is still closed to camping and/or where to get news about this closure? I'll be there in about a week and it want to keep on top of things.

EDIT - N/M - Found the link...

Still closed. 706-745-6095
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

El Sordo
    Images

so it's a no camping section from Gooch Gap Shelter to Neels?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    so it's a no camping section from Gooch Gap Shelter to Neels?
    Not Gooch. Jarred Gap to Neels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++