WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hiker Passing

Default Hiker Passing

I was asked to post this information.

Quote Originally Posted by akaGrace
    I have some sad news about a 2008 thru hiker. Serene hiked with Stardust and I from Springer to Franklin and again from I-40 to Hot Springs in 2008. He was currently on the Camino Trail. Here is an email from his son.

This is the worst kind of note anyone can send.

At around midnight last night, Linus (Serene) passed away of a heart attack.

There hiking the Camino Trail, Linus passed peacefully in his sleep of a suspected heart attack.

As neighbours and friends we felt it important you should be aware.

An autopsy must be completed, then arrangements must be made to ship him home. Schedules for these are not yet known.

We will be in touch when we find out more.

Dave (Linus' son)
    My deepest condolences on the loss of your Dad.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I read of this on Peregrine Trail Dancer's Camino journal today. She had been walking with him and was apparently staying at the same place when he died. I cannot imagine the sadness of his passing, for his family and the people who were just with him. Deepest sympathy to all.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Thanks for sharing...news like this is always sad. Hopefully this doesn't come across as morbid, but there are many worse ways to go than passing peacefully while sleeping during a hike. May he rest in peace and condolences to the family and his friends.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    Thanks for sharing...news like this is always sad. Hopefully this doesn't come across as morbid, but there are many worse ways to go than passing peacefully while sleeping during a hike. May he rest in peace and condolences to the family and his friends.
    Ditto.....

Images

God help him and walk with him, and those who miss him, as he begins a new trail.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

We spent a great deal of time with Serene from Virginia to Maine in 08. This is so sad to hear. He was a unique guy and always full of positive energy no matter how tough a day he was having. My heartfelt sympathies to his family. He went out the way he would have wanted. We love you Serene, happy hiking as you move on from this world!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sad to hear. So sorry.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

So sad to hear this. I always looked forward to the next time I would see Serene, and often thought I had passed him for the last time. Thankfully he kept up and I last saw him in Millinocket. He absolutely loved what he was doing and was always in high spirits. The AT community has lost a true spirit today. RIP Serene.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

I remember the day when we had just come out of the woods at Clarendon Gorge and saw Serene at the trailhead. He had the same smile we had been accustomed to. He always seemed to appear out of nowhere. He asked us if we wanted to jump in the van with a guy that was taking him and Brush into Rutland. He said "Chaco, Ill bet he has beer". Thats all it took for me. Wak and i jumped into the van and rode into town. Serene asked the guy, "hey you gotta beer for me and Chaco?" and then one of his signature winks. We drank beer happily on our ride to Rutland. I know Serene is at peace because he was such a great guy!!! Heres to ya Serene!

RIP Linus "Serene" Gillis.........

I didn't know him but i'm sorry for his passing. From what i've read he sounds like a hell of a guy. My prayers to his family and his friends. Hike on Serene and God speed.

We will all miss Serene. He was such a lovely man. Everyone has a nice story to tell about him, and I don't think anyone could come up with anything negative to say if they tried. He was that kind of guy.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

++ New Posts ++