WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Oldest, youngest hikers

Here is a link to a photo of the Pink Panthers (class of '94) and one of the youngest thru hikers this year. Photo was taken on top of Wayah Bald(I think) near the stone tower. The Pink Panthers are hiking to Pennsylvania.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=361206760179

A wonderful chance encounter.

Images

That 8 year old thru-hiked?

I don't think I would have liked hiking when I was that young.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Michael Cogswell hiked the trail in 1980 at age 6. In 2002 another 6-year old boy and a 8-year old girl hiked the trail. Go to http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...tml?c=y&page=2 for some other stats.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we met Michael at White House Landing in 2004. he was headed south on a thru-hike, his second attempt after hiking when we was only 6 years old. I don't think he ever made it out of Maine - he didnt seem to be having a good time.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Oh my, I just saw the "oldest" couple walk through the door a few minutes ago. Quite the coincidence.

Who's the youngest solo-ing/"unsupervised" this year, I wonder? I read a shelter log a few nights back mentioning someone "16 and change", I think it was. Dunno if s/he was alone, though.

Default Boots

Yeah, Last time I saw Boots was in Erwin, but he was solo thru-hiking and was 16. He did the LT solo at age 14. A long distance prodigy.

Here is a link to a photo of the Pink Panthers (class of '94) and one of the youngest thru hikers this year. Photo was taken on top of Wayah Bald(I think) near the stone tower. The Pink Panthers are hiking to Pennsylvania.we met Michael at White House Landing in 2004. he was headed south on a thru-hike, his second attempt after hiking when we was only 6 years old. I don't think he ever made it out of Maine - he didnt seem to be having a good time. Who's the youngest solo-ing/"unsupervised" this year, I wonder? I read a shelter log a few nights back mentioning someone "16 and change", I think it was. Dunno if s/he was alone, though.

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

An 8 year old, Vernado and his dad Tecalota thru hiked this year as well as a 10 year old, Chili and his father Pepper. Pretty impressive and inspiring. I'm grateful I had a chance to meet both father/son teams while on my thru.
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Does anybody know the age of the oldest hiker to do a yoyo?
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

++ New Posts ++