WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hiking in the rain

So, you have a four day hiking trip planned next weekend and the extended weather forecast is calling for 60% chance of rain for each day of your trip.

Do you still go?

Images

why not? for me the joy is in being outdoors. there's no reason you couldn't enjoy yourself if properly equipped.
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Images

this time of year the rain is refreshing GO
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Well, that depends.

If you are asking about risk assesment then that is a complicated answer. If you just want to know how to be comfortable then the answer is different.

Either way, you want a fool proof way to be warm and dry if you need it. Extra layers, calorie rich snacks, double stuff bags, hand warmer packets, bomb-proof shelter, and the wits to know when it is time to head home early.

I see you are in Idaho, so you probably know that the weather at altitude can be fickle. Check the forecast. A slow drizzly rain that does not let up for days when the temps are under fifty, is the best way to experience hypothermia. But even warmer temps can be deadly if you can not get warm and dry. You want to check if fires are allowed where you are going--Fire can make an otherwise miserable trip enjoyable and a lot safer.

Risk assasment is a moment to moment thing.

For a coastal hike, on the west coast (Washington State, particularly) that can be the only hike available.

Lovely wet.

I have hiked with a rain forecast, just because I knew it would chase the crowds out of the woods. In fact, rain in the forecast can be the best time to hike a popular trail.

Lightning is a different story.

If rain only, I would definitely wear short gaiters to keep my socks dry, or, long gaiters if the trail is overgrown with brush or wear rain chaps.

The rain is very special. The odors of natural woods are enhanced.

Everything seems much more alive.

The colors are often more enhanced (not fog) for photography. Even fog can be good for photography!

If you do not have the right clothing and the right gear, and the gear and experience to set up your camp in the rain, this can be a recipe for hypothermia, and so, I do not recommend this particular "private" joy of backpacking on my website.

However, adding the information for safety reasons makes sense.

I was asked by a ranger at Glacier National Park, MT to go out and check on some kids because a quite severe storm was closing in fast. The ranger said they weren't sure of their gear or that they knew how to be okay.

I charged up and over a couple of mountain ridges to catch up with them at Poia Lake, and saw they were fine. They were hunkered down, just for a break. It was perfect. I asked if they needed more. They said no. I offered additional shelter I was carrying.

They offered me their campsite further on, because they would not be hiking further. I said, I was just on an "out and back" hike.

To fully appreciate the story: I have white hair, all white hair. I am in my 60's.

I said, there was a big storm that would hit. I was glad to see they were hunkered down on good shelter of that clump of trees and brush. They thanked me. I turned an hiked on out, in something of a hurry to get over one water crossing before the water got big. As I rounded the shoulder of the mountain right there, the storm hit like a freight-train.

I chuckled. I bet they thought: who was that woman!

Both "kids" were from Europe. I knew the young man was experienced. They had good gear. The whole experience made a good experience for them of fast changing "big mountain" weather.

I got back in time before the grill closed for my well deserved restaurant meal.

...come to think of it, I have quite a few good memories of hiking when and where rain is in the weather forecast.

Images

Going out for 3 days this week chance of thunderstorms tue rain wed clears up thur. will be out not wasting vacation days got rain gears compactor bag for liner and pack liner
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

Images

I'm a section hiker. I live far from the trail. When I get an opportunity to go on a trip, rain or shine, I'm going.

Plastic is your friend.

Springer to Atkins, VA

It's only water.....

Well, that depends.

If you are asking about risk assesment then that is a complicated answer. If you just want to know how to be comfortable then the answer is different.

Either way, you want a fool proof way to be warm and dry if you need it. Extra layers, calorie rich snacks, double stuff bags, hand warmer packets, bomb-proof shelter, and the wits to know when it is time to head home early. - Grayfox
    Good points to consider!
    Lovely wet.

I have hiked with a rain forecast, just because I knew it would chase the crowds out of the woods. In fact, rain in the forecast can be the best time to hike a popular trail.

Lightning is a different story.

If rain only, I would definitely wear short gaiters to keep my socks dry, or, long gaiters if the trail is overgrown with brush or wear rain chaps.

The rain is very special. The odors of natural woods are enhanced.

Everything seems much more alive.

The colors are often more enhanced (not fog) for photography. Even fog can be good for photography!

If you do not have the right clothing and the right gear, and the gear and experience to set up your camp in the rain, this can be a recipe for hypothermia, and so, I do not recommend this particular "private" joy of backpacking on my website.

However, adding the information for safety reasons makes sense. -Connie
    Also, all good pts to consider!

I myself enjoy hiking in the rain, even hard rain, for many of the reasons Connie also gave - for about 3 days. By then, no matter what I've done to stay dry I'm wet and there is a good chance some of my gear is wet and doesn't have time to dry out from day to day. To be honest with myself, being always wet, or worse, wet and cold, for more than a week would have me looking for a town stop to dry out and get warm. I don't even mind being wet while I'm hiking as long as I''m not cold too. It also makes a BIG difference if I can get into something warm and eat something warm after I've stopped hiking.

I read your public profile Trailangelbronco. You are and adult! You hunt, fish, skydive, play college football, and obviously hike on ocassion. There is an adventurous side to you. I'm sure you have been wet in the outdoors before. How about the rest in your hiking party? What do you want? Have us tell you to stay home and don't hike in the rain? If you hike long enough you know you are going to get rained on at some pt. If you don't want to hike with a 60 % chance of rain for all 4 days of your hike don't go hiking. If you don't know how to hike in the rain don't go hiking. If you think the weather is just going to be too much of a hassle for your party and you don't hike. You don't need validation from someone else to come to a decision based on what's right for you and your hiking party. Come to the decision yourselves.

The thing that hasn't yet been mentioned is the trail you are planning to hike. If I remember correctliy, in another thread, you mentioned your party of 4 was hiking the Selway River Trail. I'm not familiar with that trail. Sounds like a neat trail that obviously follows closely to the river. But, have you spoken to anyone about how the trail or river is effected by several days of possibly strong rain? It might not be the best or safest choice of trails if heavy or prolonged rain is in the forecast.

Images

I generally see no reason to stay home because of rain. The only thing that might keep me home would be if there were a possibility of severe weather. I think if you have good gear then weather should not stop you.

medicjimr: Your tagline could not be any more true!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I was supposed to start hiking today with my newbie 20-yo daughter, starting at Standing Indian. She got a bad cold with fever two days ago, so we had to put it off.

Personally, I kind of like hiking in a moderate downpour, just not for days on end or with really wet feet. However, I'd prefer not to have her first two days of backpacking be in a rainstorm. Hopefully we'll get a nice series of days next weekend.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    So, you have a four day hiking trip planned next weekend and the extended weather forecast is calling for 60% chance of rain for each day of your trip.

Do you still go?
    That was just about what it was the last pack I went on. I think the coverage turned out to be more than 60%, and, by the end of the fourth day, it was starting to get old. We had breaks at the right times - when were setting up camp and cooking. Later, my wife looked at the pix and commented "I didn't remember that it rained that much!"

I'm still going on thr trip, but my friends may be chickening out. To me, 60% chance of rain could either be just cloudy sky's or a few rain showers. To me, I like the rain because it does weed out the day hikers a bit. I have dry sacks, a pack cover, and use Frog Toggs because they breath very well. Gaiters to the knees and my feet stay dry.

The river will be very high anyways because of the spring run off, but that is also my favorite way to sleep. Next to a rushing river.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm going.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If I can do it another weekend (like just a weekend jaunt to get out and have fun), I would switch. If its a planned section or trail you have prepared to do and took time off to do it, then you go.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    this time of year the rain is refreshing GO

It sure wasn't a few weeks ago in Bland. It was hypothermia weather. If it was June into July I'd agree.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Besides, there is 40% chance that it won't rain!!!! I'd go!

There's still a 40% chance of NO rain, so it depends upon how you look at it. Aside from stream crossings and footing becoming slippery I, personally, enjoy hiking in the rain, especially in the summer when you know it would be much hotter, plus, it keeps the mosquitoes and blackflies down (until it stops! ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by bus View Post
    Besides, there is 40% chance that it won't rain!!!! I'd go!
    Ok, you beat me to it, but I promise I didn't read your post.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh man . . . ya gotta go! You gotta chance to go, man you GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

I only call it off when its a Hurricane.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++