WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Do you want your body tempurature to be the same as the ground you are on? If you don't then some form of insulation is required between you and the ground.

I've devised a fairly comfortable, very inexpensive and extremely lightweight sleeping pad. I bought two 17 x 17 x 1" foam pads enclosed in plastic wrap from my local Joann's Fabrics. Leaving on the wrap, I put the two pads in a pillowcase and close it with -- of course! -- safety pins. Could also be sewn. Maybe for taller people (I'm 5'3"), three pads would work, maybe in a king-size pillowcase. This has worked very well for me, especially the light-weight part, and I'll use it again this year.

Default ....And The Answer Is?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Rob View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Lot of good ideas here, I'm defiantly going to try sleeping without a pad these next couple of nights to see. I always thought the pad was a comfort thing, I had no idea it helps keep you warm. Thank you.
    Good. Report back here with your conclusions. I'm sure whatever you decide will keep this thread alive for a couple more days.

Just finished a section hike using a vinyl air mattress for swimming pools - found that if you fill it 3/4 full you will not only be warm, but you'll be comfortable...

by the way...the way I found out that it needed to be 3/4 full? I filled it full of air the first night and awoke with my hip being numb and my back being cold!

Spend the money on the sleeping pad - it's worth it!

Backpacker
    Images

i never used one for like 5 years, except in winter, but now I dont go anywhere without it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++