WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do you really need a sleeping pad?

I want to keep my load light and cheap, is a sleeping pad necessary?
    "Rocky Top, you'll always be home sweet home to me. Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Teenesee!"

I would say yes. If anything to put a little insulation between you and the ground. They also help smooth out any small rocks, roots, debris.... that may be under the tent. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or heavy if you want to go minimal.

Or check into a hammock.

Well, need, no... but it provides a huge level of not only comfort, but more importantly warmth. The bare ground will suck up a lot of body heat, even in the summer. It's worth carrying even the lightest groundsheet just for the warmth issue... gossamer gear sells a very light one that's for that purpose.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Call me a sissy, but yes, my Thermorest is absolutely necessary! One of the last things I'd leave behind.

Images

Here's thing. You need as much under you as you have over you to be able to keep warm while sleeping. The problem is that in a sleeping bag, your body will compress the fill material (down, synthetic, etc) reducing the insulating qualities of the fill. Allowing your sleep to be affected by cold and moisture coming up from the ground.

The sleeping pad allows better insulation between you and the ground, keeping you warmer and more comfortable.

And as pointed out the layer of padding is pretty nice too. There is no reason not to bring along the tools that allow you to have a good night's sleep on the trail.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Here's the link to the pad I was talking about...
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...thinlight.html

At 2 ounces for the smallest, lightest pad, it's well worth the weight for the warmth alone. It won't provide much comfort at all in terms of padding, and for some that's no big deal. Most people like to have a little padding at least, but to each their own.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Journal Entries

I got the smallest pad that I could find, a child sized pad, my back and butt are on it, head is on a pile of clothes, and my feet don't really need cushioning. OR the hammock route sounds nice too. I just got my camping hammock and will be breaking it in this weekend at Trail Days I hope.

No. Certainly not.
    Only if it's cold.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Need? No. But then you don't "need" a pack, tent, sleeping bag, stove, or even food. Anyone can be uncomfortable. Go for it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

A sleeping pad can also be used in case of a leg injury, You can use it to wrap around your leg as a sort of splint to help you hike out for medical assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Need? No. But then you don't "need" a pack, tent, sleeping bag, stove, or even food. Anyone can be uncomfortable. Go for it.
    I disagree here.
    It is not possible to do a long hike without food or a sleeping bag IMO.
    I have only met one hiker who tried to do it without food, he didn't last long.
    I met a few who ditched their sleeping bags in PA. They quickly realized their mistake and got them back.

I have met many hikers who didn't use a sleeping pad.
    Doesn't mean they were uncomfortable.

My mother in law is 70 and prefers to sleep on our hard tile floor rather than the bed whenever she visits us. (but it is not cold where we live)

Sleeping pads do a lot to help keep the cold out.

I've seen hikers use newspaper or cardboard or nothing (also, the other extreme: up to 3 lb air mattresses complete with footpump)
    UP to you!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

An easy way to figure out if you "need" a pad.

Tonight, sleep on your porch or deck. That would give a real good approximation of sleeping in a shelter.
    Tomorrow, sleep in your yard. Not where the grass is all nice and green, but somewhere that is mainly dirt, with some leaves, twigs, and gravel.

Temps in Washington, PA are going to be 37 tonight and 53 tomorrow according to weather.com which is about average for nighttime temps in the spring and fall.
    What? Me worry??

Images

Great test. Did it (well, sorta) way back when I was young. That's why my mattress is probably the heaviest single item in my pack, and why I won't give it up.

Garlic
    Images

If all your nights are going to be warm and dry and on beds of leaf duff or pine litter, you don't need one. If you might be on snow, it might be critical to your life safety to have one (or even two). If you're young and nothing hurts after a day of hiking and you can sleep well anywhere, it's optional. If you have sore hips and shoulders or can feel a pea under your mattress at home, you'll need one. It's all up to you, really. I've only met one thru hiker who didn't carry at least something.

I carry six sections of Z-rest at 6 oz. The Gossamer Gear torso length looks like it'll do the same thing for less weight and less money.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

At 24, no a sleeping pad was not necessary, in my opinion. At 41? Absolutely, for me. I figure if I don't get a good night's sleep, then I won't be worth squat in the morning and my hike and my enjoyment would suffer. With a pad, I sleep better and wake up more refreshed. But that's me at 41. At 24, I used to camp all the time without a sleeping pad and was no worse for wear.

I sleep on the floor at home. It is carpeted and at the moment has an area rug also. I didn't use a pad for a couple nights on the AT, just a garbage bag. Now I don't plan on taking one with me when I go back out for longer outings. RedneckRye spoke the truth about the shelter floors. I would rather sleep on the ground.

cold temps: pad can be a matter of life and death
    mid-summer: optional
    in my opinion the average sleeping pad does squat to cushion yourself while sleeping, it is stricktly a warmth issue. now if ur carrying a full air mattres that inflates more than two or so inches we would be talking a matter of added comfort. once again just my opinion but when i prep friends for a hike i always tell them that a sleeping pad is for added warmth, not added comfort. for the record i use a blue "wally-world", as it is called, pad trimmed down to cover mid head to just above knees.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Like others have said, it's age and/or temperature dependent.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

it's mind over matter, i carry some nails with me.
    http://kwaminyamidie.com/blog3/Jack%...of%20nails.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    At 24, no a sleeping pad was not necessary, in my opinion. At 41? Absolutely, for me. I figure if I don't get a good night's sleep, then I won't be worth squat in the morning and my hike and my enjoyment would suffer. With a pad, I sleep better and wake up more refreshed. But that's me at 41. At 24, I used to camp all the time without a sleeping pad and was no worse for wear.
    Fritz, I really agree with you on this. Whether just camping or reenacting I slept just about anywhere and under all sorts of crap conditions. I can still pull it off, but anymore I just dont sleep well. When it comes to backpacking, and as I near 40 I value the comfort of the sleeping pad very much.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++