WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Acadia National Park

My wife and I will be up in around Acadia during the first week or so of June. I am wondering if anyone has any insight on what a good 8-12 mile loop hike would be in or around the Park.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about hiking, but make sure you take a boat tour when you are there. I took one led by a NPS ranger and it was very good.

Acadia NP has many carriage roads that can be hiked and offers over 125 miles of hiking trails of different difficulty. However, aside from some longer hikes on carriage roads most of the named trails are rather short, less than 5 miles. What I've done when hiking Acadia NP is connect several named trails so I could go out for 2 -3 hikes. I've always included trails like the Precipice, Beehive, Jordan Cliffs etc. in my loops but those will propably be closed in June because Perigrine Falcons breed and nest near these trails at that time so the Park Service closes these trails. But, do check. These are among my favorite sections of trail in Acadia NP. There are also many worthy hikes up to various overlooks. Again, you mostly loop named trails together for a 12 mile hike.

I suggest you visit trails.com and find trails to your liking in Acadia NP. They list many with maps and trail descriptions.

Journal Entries

Thumbs up

I have been to Acadia 9 or 10 times and have hiked nearly every trail, every one of them is a pleasure! Pick up a map and piece something together. I would suggest the Beehive or Precipice for some spectacular ocean views. Last year I started on the south side of Cadillac, went over that mountain, followed the trail over to Jordan Pond (crossing between the bubbles, I think), went across Jordan Cliffs back down to the Pond.

The great part about Acadia (one of the many great things) is the free shuttles that go all over the island. There is no need to do loops. Park in Bar Harbor, jump on the shuttle, do your hike, and eventually get back to the car by the way of the shuttle in the evening.

Default Just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by mcstick View Post
    My wife and I will be up in around Acadia during the first week or so of June. I am wondering if anyone has any insight on what a good 8-12 mile loop hike would be in or around the Park.

Thanks in advance.

When I am in that part of the country, I usually take an afternoon to drive around Acadia to take pictures, then I drive over to Baxter State Park to do the hiking.

Of course, if you haven't climbed Cadillac Mountain, everyone has to do that once.

I also found it necessary to hike the Wonderland Trail in Acadia. It is important only because of the name. I wanted to be able to say that I hike the Wonderland Trail on both coasts.
    Shutterbug

How far apart are Acadia NP and Baxter State Park. I am thinking of visiting Maine in early June and had the intention of visiting both to do some hiking.

Images

What a beautiful park. I went there the first of June, 2004 and it was so cold and windy and rainy, the short trails with the ladder rungs were closed or ill advised, and I was alone so I just walked the carriage paths. I did make it to Cadillac on arrival right before the front came in and could see the view and Baxter in the way distance. There is a sign up there with Baxter pointed out. It fogged over in an hour, got cold and rained for three solid days. Pouring down rain. I walked in the rain, and ate the best lobster I have ever had and will ever have in my life. I am guessing of course, but think by road Baxter must be 200 miles or so away from Acadia. I had driven from Missouri and Acadia was as far north as I went on that trip.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Falls View Post
    How far apart are Acadia NP and Baxter State Park. I am thinking of visiting Maine in early June and had the intention of visiting both to do some hiking.
    According to google maps it is 135 miles from Acadia NP to Baxter Park Rd.
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

Thanks. Thus, it is not exactly "just up the road." I kind of figured that based on where I thought the AT ended and the fact that I knew Acadia was coastal. The wording above made me wonder.

When I am in that part of the country, I usually take an afternoon to drive around Acadia to take pictures, then I drive over to Baxter State Park to do the hiking.
    Seems like a great idea and a couple of great parks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dragon View Post
    Confirm. +/- a couple. Kind of hard drive. 135 in Maine is not 135 in VA.

Precipice Trail is closed, but there are 4 other ways up that rock that have some merit.

Plenty of short walks to very cool spots, 4 of those might be more fun than a long loop.

Really depends what kind of walking you like and the weather/wind that day.

When you get here, get a map. Sherman's Bookstore has better than what they sell at park visitor center. Quite a network.

If you intend to walk or bike carriage paths, the free maps are inadequate.
    ISBN 0-89272-349-1 is what you want. Get this now. You will enjoy reading it ahead of time. Worth it's runt weight in gold.

Popping a chunk of carriage path between two named trails works well for me. But then I walk the loop road, too. Much different than driving it.

Default HOw far?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dragon View Post
    When one travels 3,250 miles to hike in Maine, like I do every fall, what is another 135 miles?

I certainly didn't intend to imply that one can't enjoy a hike in Acadia National Park. I have hiked most of the trails in Acadia and enjoyed them all. My answer was to a question asking for a suggestion for an 8 to 12 mile loop. For that kind of hike, Baxter State Park offers more options.

Shutterbug

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    When one travels 3,250 miles to hike in Maine, like I do every fall, what is another 135 miles?

I certainly didn't intend to imply that one can't enjoy a hike in Acadia National Park. I have hiked most of the trails in Acadia and enjoyed them all. My answer was to a question asking for a suggestion for an 8 to 12 mile loop. For that kind of hike, Baxter State Park offers more options.
    Yeah, if it were me I'd certainly go to both places and hike as much as time allowed.
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

I've been hiking the trails in Acadia nearly every summer for the past 15 years. It will be easy for you to string together a bunch of trails into a long hiking loop, just buy a map of the trail system and you are good to go!

If I had to recommend a great trail, I would hike the Giant Slide: a lot of large boulders to hop around on all on top of a nice meandering stream. If you want a challenging climb, the west face of cadillac will have you suckin' wind the whole way up.

Also, make sure you check out the Great Long Pond and hike the trails around there (Perpendicular is a fun granite staircase trail). Also great for small-mouth bass fishing.

If the book "A Walk in the Park" is still available it's a great resource. We pick a couple of trails every year, some new, some old favorites. I always do the shore path which parallels the drive, but you get to climb around on the rocks and take your time. Gorham Mountain is good too. If you want something less civilized go further up the coast to Cutler Cliffs. Enjoy!
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

Thanks for all the great info guys. Looks like a loop trial is the way to go but all of these suggestions are great. Looking forward to getting out of Chicago for a week and looking forward to seeing the Atlantic Ocean for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by mcstick View Post
    Thanks for all the great info guys. Looks like a loop trial is the way to go but all of these suggestions are great. Looking forward to getting out of Chicago for a week and looking forward to seeing the Atlantic Ocean for the first time.

I meant to say, looks like a loop trial is not the way to go, and we should just pick a few and see what can get into.

Thanks again.

++ New Posts ++