WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Beginner 6 day hike?

Hello all, So, I'm a beginner hiker. I've gone on one-day hikes, but I really want to go on a 6 day hike in the AT.
    So, I would like your general thoughts/opinions.

1. Would you recommend a beginner going alone on a 6 day hike? 2. If so, where would you recommend? I was told to start at Franconia to the White Mountains, ending at Ethan Pond. 3. What does one usually need to pack for a longer trip? I'm all set on gear, just food/water is causing a bit of concern.

Thanks of course for all your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Ethan

Default Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by efeuer View Post
    Hello all, So, I'm a beginner hiker. I've gone on one-day hikes, but I really want to go on a 6 day hike in the AT.
    So, I would like your general thoughts/opinions.

1. Would you recommend a beginner going alone on a 6 day hike? 2. If so, where would you recommend? I was told to start at Franconia to the White Mountains, ending at Ethan Pond. 3. What does one usually need to pack for a longer trip? I'm all set on gear, just food/water is causing a bit of concern.

Thanks of course for all your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Ethan
    Remembering my first 6 day hike, I would offer the following advice:

1. I planned to hike too many miles. Start with 8 miles a day and move up as you gain experience.
    2. I carried too much food. You won't eat as much as you expect.
    3. Take plenty of water. If you run out of food, you will still be fine. If you run out of water, you are in big trouble.
    4. I tried to carry too much. Keep your pack as light as practical.

Shutterbug

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Backpack the Whites as an intro backpacking trip? I wouldn't. Do something easier, like your own backyard and see how it goes. I also liked Vermont, personally. See how it goes.
    Do a search for what people carry for food. You'll see lists

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Remembering my first 6 day hike, I would offer the following advice:

1. I planned to hike too many miles. Start with 8 miles a day and move up as you gain experience.
    2. I carried too much food. You won't eat as much as you expect.
    3. Take plenty of water. If you run out of food, you will still be fine. If you run out of water, you are in big trouble.
    4. I tried to carry too much. Keep your pack as light as practical.
    great advice shutterbug.

the whies have some days of 7000' elevation gain+loss not easy for first 6 day. maybe put a town of resupply in the middle of hike. maybe a hostel stay. it's all part of the experiance.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Try laying out each days food and separate into Breakfast, Lunch (snacks), and Dinners. There's lot's or room to experiment- perhaps you'll want to try cold or hot foods for breakfast, a traditional lunch or just snacking, dehydrated dinners or the standard Knorr Sides, foil tuna, stuffing mix, etc....

I agree with others, you'll tend to pack more food than needed. Time is a good teacher. Before long you'll know exactly what works for you.

Good luck.

I'll add that while water is super important, try hiking somewhere were there are lots of water sources so you don't have to carry much water. Water weight adds up VERY fast!

With food, make sure you pack at least one "luxury" item (like a snickers, or small bottle of wine). You'd be amazed how much better of a mood you'll be afterwards.

Hello efeuer,
    I was 23 years old and living in Boston when i made my first backpacking trip, 6 days on the AT,
    kinda like you - but 30 years ago. I got on at Great Barrington and made it to North Adams. It was a great stretch for a beginner in my opinion - and I've been hooked on backpacking ever since.
    It is about 63 miles. Good luck!

I wouldn't do the Whites as a first week long backpacking trip. Very rugged terrain and limited camping opportunities. No chance to say enough is enough and put up the tent early...

Southern ME around Andover is a nice section and not too far from Boston.
    Vermont's Green Mountains are fun.
    Mass and CT sections are nice too. Maybe around Dalton or Cheshire? Down by Kent, CT was very pretty.

The Georgia section from Amicalola to Hiawassee is a great intro section, but that's a bit out of the way if you're in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Backpack the Whites as an intro backpacking trip? I wouldn't. Do something easier, like your own backyard and see how it goes. I also liked Vermont, personally. See how it goes.
    Do a search for what people carry for food. You'll see lists
    I would, I did as a teen, but with an experienced leader. Makes the rest of the trail look easy and the Whites are big on the shock-and-awe experience. That said, if you're in the northeast it might be easier to do a few sections of the long trail or the Metacomet Monadnock trail. Also, wouldn't Franconia to Ethan Pond be 4 nights shelter hopping? If you're a beginner backpacker it won't be as easy for you to find stealth spots. Last piece of advice: keep your mileage down, bring the maps and know where the bail out points are.

I agree with everyone else, and wouldn't start in the whites. Just too many variables to deal with as a beginner. However, the MA AT is quite nice and has it's chalenges etc. so wont be "easy" for a beginner but will be more appropriate. I personally love the section that strattles the CT/MA line - Lions Head in Salisbury CT north thru to Jug end is one of my favorite stretches of the trail. I woudl include that and just keep walking north.

Also I might plan a weekend to test all my gear before I went out for 6 days. In my head it would be just more time on the trail

Good luck!
    ~Christy

I agree with the rest as well. A first trip in the Whites may not be the best choice. Try somewhere that if you get in trouble or you need to get off the trail for any reason it is not all that difficult to do so. My thought would be start in Salisbury, CT and hike north. The first two days you will be treated to great views and waterfalls. The remaining days will be easier and closer to towns if needed.

++ New Posts ++