WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Container for Olive oil

I'm going to try hummus on my next section hike. I found a dehydrated version at Whole Foods made by Fantastic Foods that is prepared with water and olive oil. I'm going to use those new thin bagels by Thomas' and rehydrate in a ziplock. My question to anyone who carries olive oil..... What do you use to carry it in? I seem to remember some type of "dropper" type container at Campmor but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks.

Those nalgene droppers look like the lid would come off real easy and squirt all over your stuff when you put it in your pack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dabjrnl View Post
    I'm going to try hummus on my next section hike. I found a dehydrated version at Whole Foods made by Fantastic Foods that is prepared with water and olive oil. I'm going to use those new thin bagels by Thomas' and rehydrate in a ziplock. My question to anyone who carries olive oil..... What do you use to carry it in? I seem to remember some type of "dropper" type container at Campmor but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks.
    if you go when it's cold it will be a paste. i used a small peanut butter jar. warmer weather 1/2 pt and pint liqueur bottles work good to. they slip into side pouches easy. carry my fuel the same way.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Some of the WholeFoods and many Healthfood stores sell dried Hummus in bulk that is cheaper than the boxed Fantastic Foods Hummus. Also allows you to buy as little or as much as you might want when purchased in bulk. I'll either carry a small clove of garlic or add some dried cives to hummus and drop it into a resupply package.

I carry olive oil in a light wt 3 oz or so plastic screw capped bottle and double baggie it just in case. They can be found at at Bed, Bath, and Beyond or at REI.

I use this...
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...737364.3686914
    Works great, never leaks, though I still carry it in a plastic bag in case of user error.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

It's nice to have a lemon pack for the hummus as well.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Ender.. that looks like the ticket. I have a gift card at EMS too so I'll pick that up. Dogwood... I tried the Whole Foods in Middletown. Only had the boxed hummus according to the clerk. Is there a store in the Brick/TR area that you use? I work in Ocean Cty. and can shop on lunch hour.

Thanks

I reuse an empty 8 oz disposable water or juice drink bottle. Costs nothing. I put it in a ziplock, although I've never had a leak. That dehydrated hummus is good stuff. Use plain olive oil instead of extra virgin, unless you LIKE the taste of olive oil.

Garlic
    Images

You guys are making me drool, talking about hummus. It's about my favorite trail food. They don't call me Garlic for nothin'.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The WholeFoods in Middletown carried Hummus in bulk when they first opened and then stopped carrying it that way. I bought a 5 lb bag recently purchased in bulk at the WholeFoods in in Charleston SC and paid $1.29/lb. Try Dean's in Monmouth Co.

Now, with all this hummus talk, I'm getting hungry. I'm going to dip into that 5 lb bag of hummus and mix it up with some sea salt, EVOO, crushed garlic, and lemon. Add some slices of avocado, tomato, grilled eggplant, some Balsamic Vinegar, slice of Mozarella, and a toasted bagel I'm good.

Why not use the bottle the oil came in? I've seen olive oil sold in 6 and 8 ounce plastic bottles, with screw-top caps. That's an ideal size. And, you know the bottle is gonna be food grade plastic.
    Roland

not sure if this will work for you, but subway has little olive oil packets they give away when you order a sandwich or salad if you ask. maybe you need 2 doz. or so for your salad?............ what can i say?... i have no morals....

fifo

I dont buy the little bottles of olive oil because they are the extra virgin type, and I am not fond of strong tasting olive oil.

My typical resupply goes like this

1 Check hiker box for oil.

2 If none found, buy 16 oz (typically the smallest size of regular olive oil) of said oil.

3 Split the contents with fellow hikers. If no takers, hiker box the remainder, in the
    original bottle.

I use a lot of olive oil. It goes on my grits, in my mac and cheese, liptons, over my tortillinis, and sometimes I drink it straight out of the bottle.

Single serving size olive oil is avail at http://www.minimus.biz/. All kinds of cool single serving sized items. I use the olive oil in most of my meals to get the extra calorie boost too.

In my experience extra virgin olive oil(EVOO) is more mild(less bitter if that's the word) than reg olive oil. I thought that was the reason why you often have to pay more for EVOO as compared to reg olive oil.

The strongest flavored olive oils I've consumed are from Spain or have been flavored with spices.

I carried my olive oil in an 8oz plastic water bottle as most places sold it in glass. As most bottles are larger then 8oz, I usually gave the rest away (I could have used a 16oz bottle but I didn't want to carry that much at a time).

For the few times it solidified due to being cold, I squeezed it out as a paste into my dinner pot.

2nd the 1 oz packets from Minimus. Every multi portion container I've tried always gets slick with the oil.
    Omnia mea mecum porto. - I carry with me all my things

Default It's a Winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I use this...
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...737364.3686914
    Works great, never leaks, though I still carry it in a plastic bag in case of user error.
    YES! I used the type Ender suggests and it worked great. I added olive oil and fresh chopped garlic to almost every dinner on my thru last year. Yum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++