WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Flatness and slidesleepers + Ground setup

I am hammock shopping. Looking to spend under $220.

I've got an older Eureka ground setup that is pretty light (4lbs) and fits two.

I don't have anything for solo or speed hikes, but desire versatility. I'd prefer not to buy a single man TarpTent, so I'm hoping a Hammock will fit the bill.

I understand that 95% of the time I'll have trees nearby, but I'd like to know that the hammock I buy will work on the ground if necessary.

When hanging, I'm hoping that the hammock will have a relatively flat bottom so I can side or stomach sleep. Any suggestions?

Hennessy Hammock.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Many Hennessy users are moving to Warbonnet Blackbirds, but I've heard of one now who is moving from a Warbonnet to a Hennessy. The WBBB is much flatter, and has the side zip entry (which most find more convenient) and a good sized shelf to put your stuff beside you. It pitches on the ground as well as any other hammock that flat. Not flat enough for most people to stomach sleep, but side sleeping is fine. www.warbonnetoutdoors.com

The only hammock that's really comfortable enough to stomach sleep is the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. Lots of bridge fans...it's truly lay-flat. www.jacksrbetter.com

Almost every hammock I've seen wraps too far around the user, cutting off cooling breezes on a hot summer night and restricting vision. I found this to be the case with my Hennessy, and eventually replaced it with a cheap hammock which isn't too wide encased in an ENO bug net in the summer. It's much cooler, the views are better, and I can reach over the side of the hammock and put stuff down into the bug net without putting it in the reach of ticks and spiders. I've found this to a very convenient (though a bit heavier) arrangement than the HH. In the winter I leave the bug net at home, saving a pound.
    The Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge hammock gets high marks from side sleepers who want to lay flat, but it's relatively heavy and looks as though it would block views and breezes too. River1 has one and likes it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I got a hennessey at Trail Days a few years back for a hundred bucks off. I don't know if they still give that discount or if they give it for call in orders, but it might be worth investigating

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Many Hennessy users are moving to Warbonnet Blackbirds, but I've heard of one now who is moving from a Warbonnet to a Hennessy. The WBBB is much flatter, and has the side zip entry (which most find more convenient) and a good sized shelf to put your stuff beside you. It pitches on the ground as well as any other hammock that flat. Not flat enough for most people to stomach sleep, but side sleeping is fine. www.warbonnetoutdoors.com

The only hammock that's really comfortable enough to stomach sleep is the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. Lots of bridge fans...it's truly lay-flat. www.jacksrbetter.com
    Yeah Warbonnets are better than Hennesseys, but they do cost more as well. The cheapest Warbonnet combo is $275 and the cheapest Hennessey Asym is $140. I mean if you can afford a Cadillac why would you go back to a Chevrolet. Now the OP said the budget is $220 so if you are going to recommend something that takes up the majority of it how about recommending a tarp that fits in the remaining budget.

Personally, I'd start with the better hammock and get a cheap tarp, like the Gear Guide 9x9 or similary poly coated tarp (b/c sil will be more expensive), and then upgrade the tarp when I can.

Or I'd just save until I can afford the real deal. But Right or Buy Twice.

Re: the Bridge Hammock, they are a little heavier than other models, but you can mod it to save some weight or see if someone on HF will make you a DIY. And they block views a little, but not as much as some gathered end hammocks I've used. I have a JRB BMBH but I don't use it as often as my other hammocks...it's a good one, just doesn't fit my needs.

Might be willing to sell it for a deal, though.

how much heavier is the JRB over the Hennesy?

I might be interested.

Just as a quick note, I have managed to sleep on my stomach in a Hennessy. Not for too long, maybe an hour at a time; and not that often, only when I'm really tired out. But I have done it, and wasn't uncomfortable.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

37 oz here. Mine doesn't have the new spreader bars but I have the bug net and removable mesh pocket.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've got a HH HyperLite with the Supershelter insulation, snake skins, HH tarp, the whole set up. I used it for two weeks but was never able to get comfortable in it so it's been sitting for over a year. I'm thinking of selling it. I have about $350 in it, make me an offer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    But Right or Buy Twice.

Or buy right and buy often in my case. After all, I don't play golf with one club...

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Or buy right and buy often in my case. After all, I don't play golf with one club...
    What a great quote.

But aren't golf clubs a little heavy for backpacking? Hm... I can see it now... a cross-country golf course. "Appalachian Links"

Anyways, hammocks. Find someone (or an outfitter) near you to try the hammocks out if possible. REI did or does carry Hennessy. ENO is a popular lounger made in NC but it's very simple, not most hammock-campers' choice. That's what I use though haha. WarBonnet seems to be one of the best, BUT a lil more expensive. Hennessy is very popular. Check out hammockforums.net (information overload, but they have some beginner areas). Test one out before you buy. You may love or hate one style/brand compared to another. Everyone's different.

Can't go wrong with hennessy as an introduction. If you get more into hammock camping, you'll have to pay the monthly fees to the hammock cult and buy a sewing machine. Then they'll reveal the ultimate truth to you and prepare your spot on the space ship that takes you to diTreedia. There will be lots of bugs and rainstorms so people can argue why their setup is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Haha - yeah, that's me too, except I don't play golf. I've made a few (more than I need) and bought a few (more than I need). But you can make a good hammock work for nearly all conditions with the right insulation. It doesn't HAVE to be complicated and expensive...we just make it that way b/c it's fun. It's like the initiation to deTreedia, but not everybody has to get on the ship.

Images

Spear Hammock, hung with much more slack that you originally think is proper. This allows you to comfortably sleep diagonally, on you side, and pretty flat. Very comfortably.

Just position yourself so you do not have the hammock wrapping up and blocking your view. They are amazingly stable and allow for a lot of varied sleep positions once you learn to trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I used it for two weeks but was never able to get comfortable in it so it's been sitting for over a year. I'm thinking of selling it.
    Why weren't you comfortable in this? Just didn't like Hammock camping or liked another mock better?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I'm a side sleeper and toss and turn all night. I found I sleep better on the ground. Anyway it's for sale, make me an offer.

My hammock evolution took a slightly different path. I started with a Crazy Creek Crib hammock and tarp setup for like $60. Great for afternoon naps, couldn't stay asleep at night tho, tarp was heavy for the coverage it provided, I'm saving it for my sons as they grow out of tents.

Then I went to a HH Exped Asym, swapped out the asym tarp for a hex, made my own straps, and got a super light pad that I trimmed to fit. Now I sleep all night through, I can see out in all directions, I can drop the pitch of the tarp tighter and closer when its windy, and I never roll over on my glasses (ridge line holds them and a light). I side-sleep and love it.

I have my eyes on the Warbonnet with a JRB underquilt, but I'll have to wear out or find a problem with my current setup, 'cuz it's so much nicer than sleeping on the ground. I wouldn't want to pitch it on the ground, it's not a tent.

HYOH, pitch your own tarp.

Ranc0r

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

A stock JRB BMBH is 37 oz including spreader bars...A WB Black Bird with double bottom is simialiar weight as submitted to BGT for evaluation in 2009, actually an ounce or so heavier with all supplied hardware.

The BMBH bug net 5 oz is removable... nice in the winter to off set warmer gear weight.

Ther are several who have reduced the BMBh weight to 26 oz including spreader bars.

I have a 17.5 os BMBH with partial bug net and utilize the GG collapasible UL poles with straps that will be used for a Maine setion this August.

One thing for sure.... Nothing lays flatter than a BMBH.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan View Post
    A stock JRB BMBH is 37 oz including spreader bars...A WB Black Bird with double bottom is simialiar weight as submitted to BGT for evaluation in 2009, actually an ounce or so heavier with all supplied hardware.

The BMBH bug net 5 oz is removable... nice in the winter to off set warmer gear weight.

Ther are several who have reduced the BMBh weight to 26 oz including spreader bars.

I have a 17.5 os BMBH with partial bug net and utilize the GG collapasible UL poles with straps that will be used for a Maine setion this August.

One thing for sure.... Nothing lays flatter than a BMBH.

Pan
    How have you done to reduce the weight of the BMBH ?

Thanks

How about the Clark anything good or bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++