WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    •Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

If we can ever find out where to obtain one of them there Magic Carpets, perhaps AMD can become a thing of the past.

You know, where you put the van on the Magic Carpet and it instantly transports the van and driver from home base to where the hiker needs to be picked up. Then there would be no gas, wear/tear, or driver's time involved in getting to the hiker. The Magic Carpet would do all that. The shuttle service could then just charge for driving the old-fashioned way from where the hiker gets picked up to where he/she/them wants to be driven.

Oh, and we would need to use that Magic Carpet again to get from where the hiker gets out of the van back to home base.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    I charge by time.
    It's a deal too! 9.5 minutes from Neels to Springer!
    (or it seemed that fast anyway)
    Jus' kiddin'. Nice ride Cool.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Images

Quote Originally Posted by climber2377 View Post
    he is outside drinking and when i ask for a shuttle
    .................................................. ...............

Need I say anything?
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

This is all Ron Haven's fault for spoiling hikers 107.7 miles from Springer and setting unrealistic expectations for the next 2,000+ miles.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i only get paid for one way
    Plus you let me park in your driveway and offered to buy me a cup of coffee.

Journal Entries
    Images

i heard some stuff and didnt believe it, then i showed up and was thinking... my friends need a shuttle to be in town with me, so why not go to the guy who runs a shuttle and get them a ride. first i call, he doesnt answer. i then hitch across town to his place and he is outside drinking and when i ask for a shuttle, he says "not to be rude, but shuttles are just about done for the day, its not raining and its not snowing, your friends will be fine" Now it was only around 5:00 when this happend. i m not giving him any of my money, i suggest you dont give him any either! if you have a story that will help perpetuate the theme of this then please post here. do not offer pros and cons, this thread is not a debate*. please post only negative info here. i m sure this is a lot of it.

*Feel free to discuss both the pros and cons of recent experiences. It will be a lot fairer to the proprietor rather than a predefined flaming.
    Added by Alligator.
    I am not a shuttle driver but I have told many a hiker NOPE! Get use to it, you are not entitled to get your butt kissed all the time.........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    This is all Ron Haven's fault for spoiling hikers 107.7 miles from Springer and setting unrealistic expectations for the next 2,000+ miles.
    i think these types were spoiled LONG before even Springer
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Does't anybody hitch-hike anymore?
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

i heard some stuff and didnt believe it, then i showed up and was thinking... my friends need a shuttle to be in town with me, so why not go to the guy who runs a shuttle and get them a ride. first i call, he doesnt answer. i then hitch across town to his place and he is outside drinking and when i ask for a shuttle, he says "not to be rude, but shuttles are just about done for the day, its not raining and its not snowing, your friends will be fine" Now it was only around 5:00 when this happend. i m not giving him any of my money, i suggest you dont give him any either! if you have a story that will help perpetuate the theme of this then please post here. do not offer pros and cons, this thread is not a debate*. please post only negative info here. i m sure this is a lot of it.

*Feel free to discuss both the pros and cons of recent experiences. It will be a lot fairer to the proprietor rather than a predefined flaming.
    Added by Alligator.
    Now for me that part I highlighted in green is all I need to read! Seems that UJ was being honest, that he has popped open a cold one and is done for the day (atleast I interpret "he's outside drinking" to be that he is enjoying some beer). Seems to me that if he was enjoying an adult beverage at that moment, it would be wrong of him to expose himself and others to the dangers of DWI. To me that is being responsible.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote:

Originally Posted by climber2377
    he is outside drinking and when i ask for a shuttle
    .................................................. ...............
    Originally Posted Ny Father Dragon
    Need I say anything?
    .................................................. ................
    No Father Dragon - you hit the nail on the head!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    He just postpones the inevitable of folks becoming statistics. Especially with his new presence in GA.

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    He just postpones the inevitable of folks becoming statistics. Especially with his new presence in GA.
    Ron is a good businessman--he expanded in the direction where there were the most hikers. I hope the other business people in Franklin appreciate him as much as the hikers do.

When was the last time you had a good thought?
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

I've stayed at Uncle Johnny's and used the shuttle twice in the last two years. Both times a very positive experience.

Images

I hope you were just trying to be funny.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

White Russian:

I've been away for awhile but I can't help but note the consistently bitter tone of many of your posts.

Ron Haven's "presence" in Georgia can be described thusly: He bought a motel that had long served hikers well, and is now serving hikers even better.

Please tell us why you have a problem with this.

And people leaving the Trail or failing to complete their hikes is by no means "inevitable". It doesn't happen to everyone. And in no small way, in Franklin, and now in Hiawassee, Ron and his staff help all sorts of folks with all sorts of things, and in many cases, it helps them stay on track and have better hikes. He may well SAVE a lot of hikes.

Why this troubles you escapes me.

How many thru-hikers have YOU actually helped this week?

Please give details, this should be fun.

ERNMAN

Typical New York attitude......

Added by Alligator.
    You sound like the same hiker who had a problem at SBF and are you by chance a lawyer, ivy grad or city chick??

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    White Russian:

I've been away for awhile but I can't help but note the consistently bitter tone of many of your posts.

Ron Haven's "presence" in Georgia can be described thusly: He bought a motel that had long served hikers well, and is now serving hikers even better.

Please tell us why you have a problem with this.

And people leaving the Trail or failing to complete their hikes is by no means "inevitable". It doesn't happen to everyone. And in no small way, in Franklin, and now in Hiawassee, Ron and his staff help all sorts of folks with all sorts of things, and in many cases, it helps them stay on track and have better hikes. He may well SAVE a lot of hikes.

Why this troubles you escapes me.

How many thru-hikers have YOU actually helped this week?

Please give details, this should be fun.
    Jeeziss Jack, I gotta agree with yo on this one. . . Ron Haven is great for the trail and hikers. . . he's a good, good man. . . .

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    THE FUNNY THING IS, this is the most free publicity that Uncle Johnny's has got in a long time
    True that. It makes me want to stop by on my hike, & see what it's all about. : ]

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++