WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drama on the AT

Default Drama on the AT

I've spent a lot of time reading other people's trail journals and talking with other thru-hikers. Some seem to have drama, and other don't. Seems a lot like high school.

So I'm just curious, does drama seem to be common along the trail?

Have you seen Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland yet? It's sort of like the difference between the Red Queen and the White Queen.

You get both extremes on the AT........

Garlic
    Images

It's all what you make of it. It's actually quite possible to have a semi-quiet, semi-wilderness experience if you stay out of the shelters and stay out of the towns except to get food. Or you can hang around with tons of people all the time and have some real drama. In my opinion, any one who complains about it either way is doing something wrong.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Where there are people who are into themselves and letting the world revolve around them, there's drama. People into being positive and helping others - no Drama.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

People are people. Everywhere and all the time.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    People are people. Everywhere and all the time.
    Yep, and you take yourself and your personality traits with you everywhere you go.

Journal Entries

I prefer to avoid drama when I hike. One of the reasons I hike is to get away from the everyday drama that civilization and family life creates.
    That said, I can imagine it would be hard to find a quiet spot if you're thru-hiking with the pack, except that I personally would stay away from the shelters. I like the privacy and relative quiet of my own tent.

FW

I must be reading the wrong journals, unless blisters, catholes, and bad weather count as drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner81 View Post
    I've spent a lot of time reading other people's trail journals and talking with other thru-hikers. Some seem to have drama, and other don't. Seems a lot like high school.

yup. big time

Images

Start in January. No one around to have drama with.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries

No!!!!!!!!!!

Soap Operas, Reality Television, Bloods & Crips or is that Democrats & Republicans - I get them confused sometimes - Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers with all the me-me-me tendancies of a society of gotta have it all & gotta have it right now.....

There's too much drama everywhere, at least for me. That's my rant for the day, thanks for letting me sound off!
    Be the change you wish to see in the world...gandhi

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    It's all what you make of it. It's actually quite possible to have a semi-quiet, semi-wilderness experience if you stay out of the shelters and stay out of the towns except to get food. Or you can hang around with tons of people all the time and have some real drama. In my opinion, any one who complains about it either way is doing something wrong.
    Well, times may have changed. Could that be? After many millennia, could life suddenly change dramaticaly in a couple of decades? But, regardless, I expereinced no significant drama when I spend six months walking north in 1993.

Well, I did encounter a few interesting folks. There was the self-confessed "failure" who had never achieved any of his dreams, and was about to fail again. He had lost 50 pounds in two months and no longer had the energy to continue north. I suggested he eat more food, but he assured me he was eating as much as people claimed one should need.

Whether he followed my advice, or the advice of anonymous "people," I don't know. But I didn't see him again.

Then there was a lovely 45 year old widow, a former divinity student, -- well she would have been a widow had she and her companion married instead of just living together until his death.

We hiked together, platonically, for two months. She sort of fell in with me because she was nervous about hiking alone. She sensed I was "safe." Was that a compliment? Whatever. A day rarely goes by that I don't think of her and our many conversations about many things.

Interesting, for sure. But drama? You decide.

I could continue. But the judgment is yours. Drama is an individual thing. I've sensed drama, boredom, and a lot of in betweens over many decades -- well quite a few decades, anyway.

Weary

Seeing as most Americans tend to stay home and watch TV, there's tons of drama, on the AT, in comparison.
    At least there always seems to be when i hike.
    (except for my SOBO)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I'll take drama in the wilderness, over drama at home any time...

I remember when I saw a Bald Eagle gliding on the wind...Yeah, baby, that was drama, all the way, my blood began to flow..And the time I came face to face with a Mountain Lion..Yep, that was sure excitement, cant get that walking to 7-11..And how bout the time I saw that triple rainbow over a well watered Utah desert..That was more drama then I have had all that year..

Yes, diffenitly..Drama in the Wilderness anytime over drama in the city..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Some folks over-dramatize everything in life - writers especially. Aspiring writers may pad their AT adventures with "little white lies" to gain notoriety.
    Hiking, in general, is a peaceful pursuit that doesn't have much drama. Peace is not very exciting to the average couch cowboy(woman) adrenaline junkie.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Where there are people there is drama. Some is avoidable and some isn't. Life continues out on the trail--relationships, injuries, family issues, money issues, etc...

I don't know. I hike to experience the natural world, so I avoid groupings of people.

I agree with most of what has been said about avoiding shelters, and towns, or atleast hostels in towns. Motels offer your own room and solitude, plus many thru and long distance hikers along the AT are young, and don't have the budgets to stay in motels.

But like others have said...its what you make of it. There is no reason to hike 12-15 miles every day and stay at shelters with 20 other people unless you want to. There are hundreds of good campsites along the trail, and plenty of places to stay in town that won't be flooded by other hikers.

Drama...of course exists, simply because the AT is very social. That can be both good, and bad...depends on your preferences.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++