WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default One pair of shoes/boots for the entire AT.

I know it's not impossible! How many of you needed only one pair of shoes/boots for the entire trail, and what did you use?

I would hate to waste my (non-existant) money on multiple pairs of shoes if I needn't. I'm fine with wearing them down to the bare-bones if I have to.

I sort of did. My first pair blew out within 200 miles. Got a replacement pair that then lasted the entire rest of the trail, and then was used for another 150+ miles of hiking.

So... kinda. If I had just started with that second pair, they would have lasted the whole way.

I used Vasque Sundowners, BTW... it was in 1998.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Garlic
    Images

My wife also thru-hiked, in 2002, with a single pair of Vasque Sundowners.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

In my opinion, there's no way a single pair of light trail runners will last the entire AT. 800 miles is really pushing it. Heavier walking shoes like the Merrell Moab Ventilator would have a much higher possibility and I've seen them get close to 1500 miles, but I'd be surprised to hear of a pair making an AT hike intact.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks for the info on the Vasques. I'll check them out.

I had a pair of Merrells whose model is no longer made. I went 1600 miles in them, so they didn't make it but my point in writing this is because the Vibram soles were still in really decent condition in comparison to the shoes themselves at the time of retiring them.

Other thing to note is that in 2005 Merrell was very thru hiker friendly in my experience. One phone call asking about repairing them, told them I was thru hiking and they ended
    up shipping a free replacement pair up ahead on the trail for me. It wasn't even a yogi.

Don't buy a bunch of your favorite make, model, and size to do your thru. Your feet will probably change dramatically in size and need for support. Start off with what works and replace them as necessary along the way. Have folks at home send you shoes if you can't find ones which fit at outfitters along the trail.
    This is pretty much common knowledge. Thruhikers told me this when I was contemplating a thru many years ago.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I used three pairs of Merrill Mids. There is nothing wrong with finding a pair that works while you are prepping for the thru hike then do a quick break in of a 2nd and / or 3rd pair to have ready to ship to you when you need them. My 1st pair got me to Damascus, 2nd pair to Pa. and then finished with the 3rd pair. I probably would have made it with two pair but did not want to push the issue and end up losing time or taking on pain or possible injury. Believe me, boots are nothing to cut corners on when it comes to your gear.

Images

I agree with tinker. IMO the Lasportiva Fireblades are great for long distance hiking, but i know i would have to buy about 2 pairs on a trip because my foot would most likely grow up atleast a size.

I hiked in 1992 with Merrel Wilderness. They were about $250 back then...I still have them today. I did have to put new vibram soles on them.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I sort of did. My first pair blew out within 200 miles. Got a replacement pair that then lasted the entire rest of the trail, and then was used for another 150+ miles of hiking.

So... kinda. If I had just started with that second pair, they would have lasted the whole way.

I used Vasque Sundowners, BTW... it was in 1998.
    I had pretty much the same experience. I started with a 5-year-old pair of Dexter hiking boots. When the leather cracked, letting in pebbles, I replaced them with a pair of Merrill goretex lined boots, which lasted all the way to Katahdin and another five years of wear around the house and garden, and on numerous trails.

The trade off is weight. "All the way" boots weigh an extra pound or so, over the "replace every 300 or 400 miles" variety.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I had pretty much the same experience. I started with a 5-year-old pair of Dexter hiking boots. When the leather cracked, letting in pebbles, I replaced them with a pair of Merrill goretex lined boots, which lasted all the way to Katahdin and another five years of wear around the house and garden, and on numerous trails.

The trade off is weight. "All the way" boots weigh an extra pound or so, over the "replace every 300 or 400 miles" variety.

Weary
    So true. What you gain in durability you pay for in weight.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default One Pair of Boots

Started my thru with a pair of Montrail AT Hikers that had about 250 miles on them. Got as far as Duncannon, PA and had them resoled. Used them for the rest of my hike. They were shot when I finished and had to be thrown away.
    I don't think Montrail makes boots anymore. I hiked in 2001.
    Grampie-N->2001

I myself and others that I have seen have thru 'd with one pair of Sundowners.
    I got 1400 miles from a pair of light Hi-Tec's in 1990.

geek

Wear whatever makes your feet happy and deal with the replacement whenever.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

hiked in '08 with a pair of generic EMS brand, plain leather hiking boots w/vibram soles. They were falling apart a bit around the seams by the time i got to maine, but they lasted me the whole trip. another hiker had a pair of generic cabela's boots, and they were the exact same, only with a different store name stamped on them. I paid about $85 for them in around 2005.

Journal Entries
    Images

Do you know about your needs as far as boots? Big toe box or small? Stuff like that. Light or heavy or mid? I can't see replacing as needed "wasting" money. I try for mid or heavy boots. Also, the ? "Keen" brand are worht looking at.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Most shoes, its the internal support structure that goes first before the outside falls apart, unless you have really been abusing them. I choose to switch out my shoes while the outside still looks usable (500-600mi) as I'm more interested in treating my feet as well as I can since foot problems can end a hike. For me, I'd rather save money somewhere else. In fact, I still have 3 pairs I sent home from the PCT that I use for day hikes since they still have decent tread on them.

Now some boots do last longer but they have their own issues to consider inlcuding the price for a good pair as not all boots are equal.

I wanted to echwhat has been said here. The most important thing is to realize your feet are going to grow anywhere from a size to a size and a half during the course of your hike. Most lightweights are not made to last the entire length of the AT. A heavier boot would go much farther, and should you decide to go with something along the line of a Limmer, the break-in time is much greater. Each persons walking style is different so while others on this thread have found success with Sundowners, there are probably many more stories of people who did not have such luck. if you want ot buy one pair of boots with the hopes (note:no guarantee) of them lasting the entire trek, I would go with a heavier boot. Buy a size up from what you would normally buy. You should be able to get a finger or two behind your heel with your foot forward in the boot. Then wear heavier socks until your feet grow.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Journal Entries

If I had started with a new pair, I probably could have finished with one pair of boots. I used Alico Sierra's. I had to get a older pair replaced in Erwin, but did make it to Katahdin with that pair which probably could have made the entire trail - but they were really beat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++