WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default hennessy hammock rain tarp question

im going on a month long trip starting at neel gap in middle may and i have a hennessy and jsut the regular rain tarp it came with, but thinking about upgradign to the bigger tarp and wondering if anyone would recomend getting the bigger, one or does it not make much of a difference?

Images

In my experience, the biggest difference comes when you hang the tarp separately from the hammock -- that is, instead of clipping the tarp to the hammock lines, use separate guy lines to the trees for the tarp and hammock. This does a couple of things:

1. Keeps the tarp tight when you get in the hammock,
    2. Lets you set up the tarp in the rain, then hang the hammock so it stays dry. Reverse the process in the morning.
    3. Lets you hang just the tarp for a lunch break in the rain.

You can do this with the stock Hennessy tarp. However, I found a larger tarp makes all these things easier, so I got a Maccat Deluxe. Yes, it's a little more weight, since it takes two guy lines to the tree and four to the stakes. But it provides more coverage in a storm, and stays incredibly taut.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Personally, I have found the stock hammock adequate for hanging / sleeping in a storm. I also tie it separately to the trees to make it taut. That being said, if I were going to hammock on a thru-hike, where I would want more space to spread out underneath the hammock on a daily basis for months, I would take the weight penalty and carry a larger tarp.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Yes get a bigger tarp, you wont regret it. And as some else mentioned tie it directly to the trees. If its raining when you get to camp set the tarp first and if its raining when its time to pack up your tarp is the last thing to come down keeping you and your gear dry untill you pack the last item, the tarp. The hex tarps offer plenty of room and weather protection.

AT 2012

i've been a defender of the stock tarp for a long time... and i still plan to use it -- especially for section hiking when the forecast is pretty good, but after my last three nights out in the rain i've got to admit that i would take a small weight penalty for a SLIGHTLY bigger tarp, and probably will go that way sometime soon.
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    i've been a defender of the stock tarp for a long time...
    I didn't much like the stock tarp that came with my Explorer in 2003. Just a little too narrow for coverage in blowing rain. Otherwise okay.

My hiking partner bought himself an Explorer in 2008, and the stock tarp that came with his hammock was larger and wider than mine. Thought that was interesting....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Check out the MacCat Standard or the JRB 8x8 for slightly larger tarps that are still light. The MacCat comes in Spinn, which can offset the weight of 2 more stakes/line depending on what you use.

And definitely tie the tarp separately. I keep my tarp in my outer pack pocket so I can set it up w/o even setting down my pack. Plus the tarp stays more taut that way.

Forgot - here are some comparison pics of the stock tarp, JRB 8x8 and MacCat Standard.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

Try changing clothing in a blowing rain under the standard HH tarp and you'll be shopping for a larger one as soon as you get home. That goes for cooking and many other standard camp chores, too.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I hammocked with the Hennessey Ultralite Asym with the stock tarp for a while. I stayed dry sleeping in the hammock just fine. However, when I expected driving rain I simply took a little more care finding a more sheltered place to hang(easy on the AT, you can also use figure the AT shelters intro your plans), took notice of the prevailing winds, and I pitched the rain fly lower and definitely taut, like others have suggested.

I have slept under just the UL Asym rainfly(no hammock) on some some minimalist hikes. When used that way you have to pitch it really low to stay dry in heavy rain without a bivy.

You don't say what Hennessey Hammock you have and I'm not sure if all Hennesey rain flys are sized equally so you may have a different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fishallday View Post
    im going on a month long trip starting at neel gap in middle may and i have a hennessy and jsut the regular rain tarp it came with, but thinking about upgradign to the bigger tarp and wondering if anyone would recomend getting the bigger, one or does it not make much of a difference?
    By 'stock' you must mean the rain 'fly'. The Hennessy 'tarps' are much bigger. The 30d 'hex' at $60 is 115 sq. ft. (1lb. 9oz.) and is worth it's weight in gold, if, there is a lot of rain. I have sewn ends on mine, so it can be closed off, or hung limp, to drape the hammock, which really is a big plus in very cold weather. For extended rain, it sure makes a good place to hang out for the day.

This one:
    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs...symhexfly.html
    the camo 'hex fly' is 66 sq. ft. and in between the full size hex tarp, and the 'rain fly' you have. For $70 it is smaller, but, also 1 lb. 7 oz. Not an impressive weight savings for the loss of size. But, affordable. I find that I either need a full size tarp, or I don't need a tarp at all.

Silicon nylon tarps are not much of a weight savings considering the greater cost, though they do pack a little bit smaller. May be a durability issue too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Try changing clothing in a blowing rain under the standard HH tarp and you'll be shopping for a larger one as soon as you get home.
    I can vouch for that. While the standard rain fly keeps you dry once in the hammock (even in a thunderstorm), that's all it does. Last time I was in a good rain shower while camping with my HH, my backside got soaked before I knew it, simply as I was standing under the rain fly and laying out my sleeping pad and sleeping bag in the hammock. Not good. And I was in a sheltered cove under big trees.

I'll definitely get a bigger rain fly for rainy hikes, if I take my HH.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I have the oversize tarp I got from either JacksRbetter or Hennessey.You dont even
    need trees to tie it to.Just stake the 4 corners with cord,place a pot over your hiking
    stick and you have an "instant teepee" in the event there are no trees handy.
    I also like the snake skins for the hammock itself.
    oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Images

i have a hennessy and use a Mccat deluxe it allows you to cook under your hammock and provides a heck of a lot more room which you will appreciate on a rainy day

Images

I have had my hennessy for about 4 years now so they may have a larger tarp than what I received with mine. To be honest, mine was totally worthless. I hiked the A.T. with the Hennessy and would get wet about 25 percent of the time. It just has to be set just right, wind has to be just right, you have to hold your mouth just right, etc. I looked at buying a new tarp, but thought it was a scam that I had to pay so much for just the tarp when an adequate tarp should have been included with the hammock. I purchased another hammock about two weeks ago and hope to give it a try soon. I have ran into other hikers using it with the stock tarp and they seem to love it. Bottom line, if you are going to stick with HH, you will need a larger tarp.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Personally, I have found the stock hammock adequate for hanging / sleeping in a storm. I also tie it separately to the trees to make it taut. That being said, if I were going to hammock on a thru-hike, where I would want more space to spread out underneath the hammock on a daily basis for months, I would take the weight penalty and carry a larger tarp.
    Ditto. The stock tarp will keep you and the hammock dry, but for an extended trip, a larger tarp offers versatility. I use a Speer Winter Tarp, and gladly pay the 10 ounce penalty. I can stand up, change, sit, lounge under the tarp in a space almost the size of my bathroom at home!

Default what weight penalty

If a person goes with a MacCat Deluxe in spin there is no weight penalty although it comes at a price, a price worth paying to be dry and comfortable with room to spare.

++ New Posts ++