WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Yeah, maybe it will go away!

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Unfortunately, we have this so-called debate every year. Surely there must be something worth discussing we haven't before?
    Yeah, how about discussing the proper way to season a one pound burger so that people who still have discerning taste in the 100 mile wilderness don't have to smother their burger in mayo to get it down.

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    Yeah, how about discussing the proper way to season a one pound burger so that people who still have discerning taste in the 100 mile wilderness don't have to smother their burger in mayo to get it down.
    When I got my burger Linda sent Bill out to pick a fresh Tomato. When I got pizza she sent him after fresh green pepper.

...the AMC's three high priced B&Bs --TJ
    Dead horses keep chatrooms alive, so here's a question for TJ:

Have the "three high-priced B&Bs" you mention put signs along the Appalachian Trail? If any business can post a sign, how long before it's no longer a "National SCENIC Trail?"

Is this another "bash a business" thread, or is there a real issue involved?

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    When I got my burger Linda sent Bill out to pick a fresh Tomato. When I got pizza she sent him after fresh green pepper.
    I think they just picked my hamburger meat out of the freezer and threw it on the grill. I mean hell put some lowrey's seasoning salt on the thing or something. Fresh toppings can't resurrect a bland burger.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by berkshirebirder View Post
    The past few months at Whiteblaze, I've read a number of positive posts about Whitehouse Landing--nothing negative. I've never been to the Camp and don't know the details of this spat.

I'd be interested in hearing dialogue about keeping a large wilderness area a wilderness. What are the pros? What are the cons? Is it even possible?
    I'm a firm believer in keeping large wilderness areas as wild as possible. It is why I've been a firm supporter of AMC initiatives in the so called 100-mile wilderness, and why I believe the rules against commercialization of the trail should be enforced.

Not all maintaining clubs are as diligent or as consistent in avoiding commercial uses as MATC has been, especially in the so called 100-mile wilderness. By most definitions the area isn't a true wilderness. Except for the mostly 1000-foot wide trail corridor, the 100 miles is now a mixture of commercial forest, development lands, and conservation lands.

When the paper companies sold most of the land that had been commercial forest, conservation groups, recognizing the uniqueness of the 100 miles, purchased large areas near the trail. As a result large areas are now owned by conservation organizations. The Nature Conservancy operates it's 50,000 acres as a quasi wilderness. AMC maintains some of its 66,000 acres as wilderness, other areas as commercial forest, and has improved two rundown sporting camps and operates them as places that hikers, fisherfolks, and family groups can stay. A third camp is being rehabilitated as we debate.

The state of Maine, has also acquired around 50,000 acres, which it manages as a multiuse forest for wood harvesting, and remote recreation.

Though TeeJ and others like to criticize, the area strikes me as being a pretty fair compromise. At least it is far better protected than I would have predicted based on the situation 15 or 20 years ago.

If you ponder the protections that have been achieved in the 100-miles, Baxter Park, state "public reserved lands," and the Allagash Wilderness Waterway north to the Canadian border, I can't think of a wilder 250-mile corridor east of the Rocky Mountains. Where else can one walk and paddle for days on end without ever crossing a paved publc road?

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    The AMC and the MATC have a financial interest in promoting the AMC's three high priced B&Bs that used to be real woods camps like White House Landing still is. Therefore the freshcut AT intersecting trails and promotional signage to the AMC camps are just peachy keen with the MATC. By trying to force you out of business by killing your trade and not allowing competition, the MATC is doing the AMC's dirty work for them.
    There should be laws against that.
    Well said Teej! . . . .

What the AMC 'says' they are up to in the 100 mile and what they are 'actually' up too are entirely opposite ends of the spectrum. . . . they're end game is much more transparent than they seem to think it is. . . . the AMC is poison in Maine and they should not be here and I would like to see them gone ASAP. . . .

weary-"I'm a firm believer in keeping large wilderness areas as wild as possible. It is why I've been a firm supporter of AMC initiatives in the so called 100-mile wilderness, and why I believe the rules against commercialization of the trail should be enforced.

Not all maintaining clubs are as diligent or as consistent in avoiding commercial uses as MATC has been, especially in the so called 100-mile wilderness. By most definitions the area isn't a true wilderness. Except for the mostly 1000-foot wide trail corridor, the 100 miles is now a mixture of commercial forest, development lands, and conservation lands.
    Though TeeJ and others like to criticize, the area strikes me as being a pretty fair compromise. At least it is far better protected than I would have predicted based on the situation 15 or 20 years ago.

If you ponder the protections that have been achieved in the 100-miles, Baxter Park, state "public reserved lands," and the Allagash Wilderness Waterway north to the Canadian border, I can't think of a wilder 250-mile corridor east of the Rocky Mountains. Where else can one walk and paddle for days on end without ever crossing a paved publc road? "
    I don't always agree with Weary but he is absolutely correct with this post.

Something for us all to think about, Weary.

But the question about commercial signs has not been answered. If AMC and MATC allow signs for AMC-related lodging, can they rightly argue against signs posted by other businesses?

Where is that dead horse emoticon when everyone ought to have better things to do with their time? I know I do.
    Apparently you had nothing better to do than respond to this thread.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    ....What the AMC 'says' they are up to in the 100 mile and what they are 'actually' up too are entirely opposite ends of the spectrum. . . . they're end game is much more transparent than they seem to think it is. . . . the AMC is poison in Maine and they should not be here and I would like to see them gone ASAP. . . .
    Well, they have been here quite a few years now. Perhaps it would be wise to compare Teej's early predictions, with what has actually happened on the land. Rather than more speculations, most of which have proven wrong, lets discuss facts.

I'm not privy to AMC's plans. However, nothing has happened as yet in the 100 miles that strikes me as irresponsible. And if the future reflects the past, I can see nothing on the horizon, that particularly worries me.

Keep in mind that when land comes on the market, only those with deep pockets get to buy. Developers will be out in force as soon as the current land depression gets over with. I personally greatly prefer AMC to condominium and luxury camp developers.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Keep in mind that when land comes on the market, only those with deep pockets get to buy. Developers will be out in force as soon as the current land depression gets over with. I personally greatly prefer AMC to condominium and luxury camp developers.

Weary
    I stand by my opinion this involves a land grab.

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    I think they just picked my hamburger meat out of the freezer and threw it on the grill. I mean hell put some lowrey's seasoning salt on the thing or something. Fresh toppings can't resurrect a bland burger.
    Did you ask to have salt and unknown chemical spice type substances put on your burger? No, like so many elitist burger connoisseurs you expect the burger cooker uppers to read your mind and think you are the only one that knows how to make a burger. You could have had a fresh slice of delicious Maine grown tomato with your burger if you had had the good sense to ask for it.

Journal Entries

we season our burgers with worchestershire sauce and seasoned salt,and have been told thousands of times it's one the best burgers on the trail. you are the first person to complain,also many condiments on the table to jazz it up. sorry you didn't like it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Apparently you had nothing better to do than respond to this thread.
    No, I just bit on the topic so many times before, invested enough of my time in it and thought we might discuss something useful. I haven't figured out what you have contributed thus far.

I noticed you found time to delve into my contributions. It's a shame you still can't come up with anything other than trolling.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    I stand by my opinion this involves a land grab.
    Opinions that lack a shred of factual evidence to support them aren't worth much.

i have been to WHL 3 times, every time was a good stop. great place and great people! i have only ever passed by one time without stopping! if you don't like the place being there? skip it! you'll be happy, and you won't ruin everyone elses time!

Images

Unfortunately, we have this so-called debate every year. Surely there must be something worth discussing we haven't before?
    Hush. We haven't settled this one yet.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

No, I just bit on the topic so many times before, invested enough of my time in it and thought we might discuss something useful. I haven't figured out what you have contributed thus far.

I noticed you found time to delve into my contributions. It's a shame you still can't come up with anything other than trolling.

I wasn't the one complaining this discussion wasn't worth the time, you did. I guess the irony of you continuing to comment on this has wooshed over your pointed effete head.

I'm not trolling, I've discussed this without getting personal, at least until this post You on the other hand have not added anything except to ridicule, that in my book is the definition of trolling.

Your continuing to respond in this manner only makes my point.

Journal Entries

Where is that dead horse emoticon when everyone ought to have better things to do with their time? I know I do.
    emerald: I tend to agree. But the fact remains. The importance of the trail remains an issue. There are those, though they won't disclose the fact easily, who believe all public land is suspicious. All public regulation of public land is suspicious.

I take a different view. I believe that public land, lawfully acquired, is as sacred as any land. And I believe that attacks on public regulation of public land in accordance with the laws of the nation, should be opposed.

Weary

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++