WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default HELP a thru hiker - camera found near Buck Mountain, TN

Hi.. i'm new to the forum. This may not be the appropriate place to post this and if it's not, I'm sorry!

I found a camera on 4/16 near Buck Mountain, TN between Buck mtn Road and the mountaineer shelter. The hundreds of photos on it lead me to believe its a thru hikers. I posted a note at the Watauga trailhead with my contact information. I was scared to leave it where I found it because a front was moving in and we were about to get some serious rain. I'm posting it here as well in hopes that it will reach its owner.

I posted all the photos of people on a flickr account here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49647714@N05/?saved=1

Please contact me if you can help me locate the owner.

Journal Entries
    Images

I noticed Cowgirl was in a few of these pics so I emailed her the link, hopefully she'll be contacting you with some info
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I feel pretty confident that with your efforts Hokie that the owner will get their camera back. Good work.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

That might be Jack Straws camera.. he was in all those locations with me when the pictures were taken.. he had a trail journal so ill try to get in touch and see. I think he lost his camera somewhere in NC just past elk park if I remember

I sent Robby (Jack Straw) an email about this thread. Hopefully, he'll check in.

Yeah, good work. I think this guy will get his camera back. Not too many times that has happened. He'll be thrilled. Hokiehikergirl.....I like that name.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Question

Nice going HokieHikerGirl. So, are you a VT gal in Tiger territory?!

RainMan
    Clemson '75

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I feel pretty sure that it is Jack Straw's camera (Robby South). He did loose his camera in that area. He was hiking with Smokestack, Natedog, Cowgirl and others. I am his granddad. I will let him know about this asap. Thank you Hokiehikergirl. I will let you know and send you an address and shipping costs.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Hey guys I haven't been on in awhile!! I think it is indeed Jack Straw's through talking with SouthMark... as soon as I get his addy I'll mail it to him

I graduated from VT in 2002 with a B.S. in bio and in 2005 with an M.S. in bio.. I'm now at Clemson getting my Ph.D. in bio

I miss Hokie country, but I'm enjoying the weather down here in Clemson.

I did some AT hiking in VA over Thanksgiving break (from 614 near Arcadia to US11 in Troutville). It was nice to be back in VA

what a great thing! I lost my camera on my 01 thruhike (back in the film days- so luckily only lost a couple rolls- but I would have been thrilled to get it back!) you have banked yourself some awesome trail karma for your 2012 hike Hokiehikergirl!

Doodlebug AT 01/10

WHat a great thing you did, I hope the camera found its way back to its owner.

less than two years ago I thru hiked the "river to river" trail, it goes through the shawnee wilderness in southern illinois, from the missouri river to the Mississippi, after completing the 200 mile hike i had TONS of pictures on my brand new (gift from my birthday a week prior to the trip) camera, I lost the camera on the train ride back home , it was probably stolen but I often think how badly i wish I had the pictures that documented that life changing hike.
    I am happy to see a camera being found and returned, I am sure the person will be forever grateful.

You will never hear from someone who finds your gear if they don't know who it belongs to.

Someone on WB made a great suggestion about taking a picture of lost-and-found information like your name, phone number, reward offered, etc. Take the photo without a card in the camera, so the pic is stored in the main camera memory.

I build and fly rockets (hence the nickname) and always have my name and phone number on the rocket and/or chute somewhere. Over the years, I've gotten many happy calls from people who found rockets that had drifted away.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Someone on WB made a great suggestion about taking a picture of lost-and-found information like your name, phone number, reward offered, etc. Take the photo without a card in the camera, so the pic is stored in the main camera memory.
    Same thing for jump/flash/thumb drives. Just create a little text file of that data and save it to the drive. Then it can be returned if found.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++