WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    You think those two were related somehow?
    oh i have a good feeling it its related

Saw a guy in '07 carrying a hubcab.

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Was this guy a sobo named SpAz?
    No but I met him too, awesome guy.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

My favorite is a guy I passed wearing a leather jacket with a road atlas stuck in the pocket.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    Oh, that group...

Mostly harmless..
    Just don't panic and carry a good towel.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Forty-two.

A guy in 08 named Buckeye carried an inflatable duckie for the waterfalls in NY only to be crushed when we got there.....they had dried up. The look on this guys face when we got there was priceless.

Matthewski and his "bacon fires"

The stampede of cows in Massachusetts.

Oh and the rabbit that almost killed us. We were walking into Atkins through some of the farm land and property corridors. Up in the woods we hear something coming fast and couldnt see it. As it got closer we got more freaked out. When it jumped out of the woods and we saw it was only a little rabbit, we just died laughing. Good times!

You will have so many good stories just by the time you get to Traildays. After that, it just gets friggin weird!!!!

Saw a guy on the Florida Trail pushing one of those jogging strollers loaded down with all of his gear. Had to stop and ask....weighed 120 pounds and he was planning on walking over 400 miles of the trail. It was his 2nd day out. Always will wonder how far he got with that thing.

A naked 20 something with Shawn White style flaming red hair carrying only a baby blue guitar.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

someone carrying a croquet stick just west of rausch gap

Maybe the guy wanted to play croquet in Penn??
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    A guy from Atlanta carrying red wine... oops, sorry, that was me.
    yo, im right down the road from ya. went to chamblee for high school

On the Pinhoti Trail this weekend, I walked upon this hanging from a tree. All I could think is "hike faster".

Years ago, on Standing Indian, we encountered a heavily armed guy (pig season), totally lost, trying to raise his buddy "Maddog" on his walkie-talkie. When we told him he was on a trail which ran over 2,000 miles from Georgia to Maine, then he knew we were crazy. He withdrew a safe distance and continued to try to get Maddog to rescue him...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Oh and the rabbit that almost killed us. We were walking into Atkins through some of the farm land and property corridors. Up in the woods we hear something coming fast and couldnt see it. As it got closer we got more freaked out. When it jumped out of the woods and we saw it was only a little rabbit, we just died laughing. Good times!
    If you were a Monty Python fan, you wouldn't have taken that rabbit so lightly...

I had a guy who claimed he know all about camping and such,so I took him to Dolly Sods Wv and really had a kick cause he had a samuri sword, 100 foot of thick hemp rope,8 quarts of gatorade bottles full of water,i tupperware container of nuts,i tupperware container of 3 musketeers bars,another container of cheese srings and Two large cans of Ravoli. The funny thing was I took him to pack light and bring a coat since it gets chilly onto the ridge and we pass I don't know how many streams. We average about 15 miles in two days cause he just was a little slow.

At night I scuffed the ground below the food bags and hid the food in my tent in the morning and said we had our food stolen during the night and of course as we was heading onto the trail there was a fresh bear print in the mud.

For some reason,he still won't talk about that day. We'll I tried to help him out.

About a week and a half ago while tenting at Greasy Creek Gap, I was awakened by an animal making the strangest noises. I think I am pretty familiar with the animals out there, but I can't figure out what kind of animal makes a noise that is weirdly similar to a cat! When it would get close to the tent, making its loud, pitiful "wrooow-ing" noises, I would clap and yell at the animal to go away. It kept coming back. I finally looked outside, and sitting on a downed tree in the middle of a downpour is a big ol cat! I can't figure out why it would be out in the middle of nowhere. Considering it looked well fed, I figure it possibly had wandered over from the Greasy Creek Friendly area.

I told this story to a thru hiker a few days later. He said when he walked by that spot, there were two people there burning something that put out the worst smell. Turns out there was another camper there the night before, but he had packed up and left at four in the morning, leaving them with a one pound bag of cat food. They were burning it, rather than scattering it and attracting animals.

another hiker in the Smokies who scolded me when I told him I had ventured out to Charlies Bunion to take pictures.... his angry retort to me when I asked him if he had seen Charlies Bunion...

"HELL NO, this is a hiking trip, not a sightseeing trip!"

and he was not joking....most bizarre comment I've heard yet on the trail

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I just remembered a weird sighting from 3 years ago. I was tenting at Saunders Shelter, just north of Damascus, on a warm evening in June 2007 after a long but lovely 24-mile day from Wise Shelter. Here's what I wrote in my trail journal:

I slept much better last night, at least once I calmed down. I was emptying my bladder by the tree-line just before I headed to bed. It was now quite dark, with crystal clear stars directly overhead. Gradually my eyes adjusted to the darkness, but just before I finished I caught sight of something glowing a florescent light green in the trees below. There were at least two “objects”, but they were far enough apart that they didn’t seem like the eyes of a single animal. I tried to get a better view by moving to one side, but they disappeared, almost as if something had turned away. I tried not to think about it, but as I zipped up my tent I kept an eye out toward the tree-line and eventually saw a single object moving. So now I’m wondering what it could be,when suddenly it appears not 10 yards away and heading straight towards the tent! I let out a loud exclamation that seemed to scare away the object and attracted the other campers, who scurried over thinking it was a bear (we had been talking about the rumors of a mother bear and cub frequenting this shelter). I never did figure out what I was seeing, but figured it was small enough that I could forget it.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

My favorites, and these come from people I was hiking with, 1) a kite and swim suit (in march when it was snowing) 2) a guy brought a big jar of olives for martinis (they were good though).
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++