WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Just arrived in Hanover, NH. Planning on a zero tomorrow to get rested up a little before tackling the Whites. 12 states down and only 2 to go. Who woulda figured?

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

Journal Entries
    Images

El Flaco,
    How is the gear holding up?Glad to see your moving right along,so is it as bad as you was thinking?Take Care,HS
    Quote Originally Posted by coheterojo View Post
    Just arrived in Hanover, NH. Planning on a zero tomorrow to get rested up a little before tackling the Whites. 12 states down and only 2 to go. Who woulda figured?

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

Que' tal el Flaco?

you guys are doing great, good luck and stay healthy during your last stretch thru NH and ME. Looking forward to seeing some pics of you guys at Katahdin!

noboat

Images

Arrived earlier today at the Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff, NH at the base of Mt. Moosilauke. Decided to rest up for the 1st of the Whites. Deja Vu, Hedgehog and I will climb it tomorrow, weather permitting. Going to start taking it alot slower to enjoy the up and coming magnificence.
    Gear is all holding up real well there Hiking Shoes. The trip hasn't always been that easy but it continues to be the adventure of a lifetime. I wouldn't change a thing besides maybe turning down the temperature about 20 degrees or so from N. Virginia to Vermont! Less than 400 miles to go. Whoo Hoo!

See you down the trail,

El Flaco

PS Noboat you can count on a summit picture around mid-September.

"Going to start taking it alot slower to enjoy the up and coming magnificence. "
    This is wisdom. And do take advantage of "work for stay" in the huts when you can, it's so much nicer to be able to pig out on food you didn't carry on your back (and then pig out again on food that is on your back that you find is therefore in excess of your minimal daily requirements ...). I was leery of "work for stay" and expected to do more miles in the Whites, so I was really hungry for the first ~half. Then after dialing back mileage expectations and doing work-for-stay, I was very well fed for the second half!

Que puedas comer tanto alla, sr. Flaco, que necesitan cambiar tu nombre a "el Gordo"! :-)
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

Hanging out in Gorham waiting out some rain. Tomorrow we'll go over Wildcat and in about 3 days we'll be in Maine. The Whites have been fantastic. Stayed at Lake of the Clouds hut 2 days ago and hiked up to see the sunrise on the summit of Mt. Washington. You can't hardly beat that with a stick. Prior to that I saw the sunrise on top of Little Haystack on Franconia Ridge. This trip just keeps getting better and better. And to think it will be coming to an end in less than a month. Yikes!

See you down the trail,

El Flaco

Y Sr. Brianle cuando yo estoy gordo va a ser una sena que el mundo esta acabando!

Lakes of the Clouds work for stay and then sunrise summit on Mt. Washington --- I did exactly the same thing, spending the 4th of July at that hut. Ditto on beating it with a stick; wonderful with absolutely no one on the mountain, whereas I had heard that it gets quite crowded there. No chance to moon the cog train, however, at that time of day! ;-)

Ojalla que puedas mantenerte flaco, pero ... puede ser bastante dificil no comer tanto a casa (ya es dificil para mi, por lo menos). Especially for someone my age, which I see that you are! Maybe you're just genetically blessed or something, I'm already starting to fatten back up a bit.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

Just limped in to Andover, ME. Wow what a state! Did the Mahoosuc Notch in 1 hr 10 minutes but paid for it with a smashed knee. Waiting on a maildrop at the PO so must take a day off to wait for the PO to open.
    So happy to be in the 14th and final state! Only 257 miles to go! Doesn't sound like much if you say it fast.
    Hasta la proxima,

El Flaco

Images

Made it to Stratton,ME this morning. Just picking up some supplies and spending the night. Tomorrow I go up and over the Bigelows and past the 2,000 mle mark. I'll be in Monson before the end of the week and, before you know it, I'll be at Katahdin. I kinda have mixed feelings right now. I'm looking forward to finishing the trip but I don't want the trip to end! Go figure.

See ya down the trail,

El Flaco

Images

Check your weather before you head uphill.

Hope the dinged knee is better.

You will enjoy Avery on a clear day, without a gale.

Welcome to the sticks.

Images

Weather was great crossing the Bigelows. Just arrived in Monson yesterday afternoon and am currently staying at Shaw's Lodging. I'm taking a zero today and will head into the 100 mile wilderness tomorrow. I hope to summit Katahdin on the 15th. I've only got 117 miles to go! I'm anxious to finish the hike but I'm also sad to see the trip come to a close.

See you down the trail,

El Flaco

El Flaco,
    you really did great doing the entire A.T. in less than 5 months, seems like forever since those early days down in NC and TN, be sure to post a summit photo for us, enjoy the moment , it will be one to remember!

cu on the trail,
    noboat

Journal Entries
    Images

Great job there EL Flaco!!When is the next big hike?PCT?HS

Images

Default Summitted Katahdin twice!

I summitted Katahdin on Wednesday 9/15 in the rain, snow, sleet and wind and then did it again on Thursday just to see if I could get a summit picture that didn't look like an amorphous blob. What a glutton for punishment, no? At any rate I am an official thruhiker now. Yeehaw!

El Flaco

Journal Entries
    Images

How about a PIC there brother?HS
    I summitted Katahdin on Wednesday 9/15 in the rain, snow, sleet and wind and then did it again on Thursday just to see if I could get a summit picture that didn't look like an amorphous blob. What a glutton for punishment, no? At any rate I am an official thruhiker now. Yeehaw!

El Flaco

Images

El Flaco
    Congrats. You should post the pics.

Jeez Katahdin actually gets snow this time of year?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

summitted twice in 2 days, ur crazy, now I know you my hero boy! was Deja Vu still with you? haven't heard from him in a while

how about a thru hike do-over in 2011? I'm planning another go for April 2011, get Ryan out of Chicago and Pete out of CA or wherever he's hiding and do it again

keep in touch el Flaco, looking forward to your pics

[email protected]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++