WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2013

Officially declaring my hike for 2013! Planning to start somewhere around the end of March/beginning of April. I will be turning 21 on the trail, still haven't decided if this is a good thing or not. I am more than excited to have found this thread, which seems to make my plans much more realistic. March 2013 just can't come fast enough!

Well I have decided to thru hike in 2013. I want to leave mid to late Feb 2013. See you all on the trail.

Images

Milkman,

yeah I didn't see your second post until after I posted. I would like to hike the whole trail at one time from S to N or N to S, but because of time restraints I can't, so after doing some research I decided to hike it in thirds by the "CoolBreeze" route to take advanyage of the best weather in each section. Enjoy your hike, I know I will.

hi everyone,

i too have fully committed to a 2013 thru-hike NOBO, starting March 15. i'm excited to meet all of you out there and to be a a part of such an awesome adventure.

By sending this message I am committing myself to the 2013 hike, NOBO. Will start April 3, 2013 (because it's a year from today). Here's to chatting with you all before then and meeting on the trail!

I am also planning my NOBO thru-hike in 2013! I am planning on leaving mid-march. Right now planning on a solo hike unless I can convince my twin sister to join me. I am so glad I found this site as it is really helping me prepare and answer a lot of questions I have. I can't wait!

Today, I have officially decided to thru-hike NOBO in 2013! It's awesome to see so many other people on here ready for the trail! I'm a year and a half out of college and realized that the perfect time to head out on this great adventure is now. Why wait??? I got the bug last month while skiing at Sugarloaf Mountain, the second tallest mountain in Maine and also part of the AT. My curious mind got to work and I started reading up on the trail and I was hooked. I asked my boyfriend of 7 years today if he would want to hike with me. I wasn't sure if he would think I was crazy or not, but he said YES! There's a lot to do in the next year and lots of questions to be answered, but I can't wait to start the trail with you all!

Planning to start in early to mid-March so we can hopefully finish before my boyfriend heads to grad. school.

All I gotta say is ...

Longest year ... ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Live_for_hiking View Post
    All I gotta say is ...

Longest year ... ever.
    You got that right.

I keep looking at the calendar and make a guess where I will be a year from now. I'm guessing Kincora right about now, further if we have weather like this year.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I have begun to read several books written by past thru-hikers and decided to plan for a 2013 thru-hike. I am not sure if I will follow the traditional NOBO path or do a flip flop beginning in Damascus VA to miss the massive number of hikers leaving from Springer. My planning for gear and clothing is almost complete and manh of the suggestion found on Whiteblaze has been helpful. TNman is my self-imposed trail name to simply indicate that Tennessee is my home state. I will continue to watch this posting for ideas other hikers have to lighten the load and route planning.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    You got that right.

I keep looking at the calendar and make a guess where I will be a year from now. I'm guessing Kincora right about now, further if we have weather like this year.
    I keep guessing that I'd be through the smokies ..... But we'll have to wait and see next year.

Regarding overall average temperature and weather for 2013? Because we had a very wet summer and fall in 2012 followed by a mild winter ... I'm guessing that we'll have a cold winter with average precipitation for 2013.

Let's see, April 5 2013, where will I be? At that point I will have been hiking five days, so past Neel's Gap, I hope! Starting April Fool's day. If the weather is as warm as this year I will be behind a lot of early starters, but that is the first day of my retirement.

I will have to spend the first or second night at Hawk Mt shelter - that's the section I maintain for the GATC.

Quote Originally Posted by Live_for_hiking View Post
    I keep guessing that I'd be through the smokies ..... But we'll have to wait and see next year.

Regarding overall average temperature and weather for 2013? Because we had a very wet summer and fall in 2012 followed by a mild winter ... I'm guessing that we'll have a cold winter with average precipitation for 2013.
    We're leaving March 20. Doing the approach. I'm hoping today I would be leaving Fontana making that long climb up to Russell. I don't know where my starting partner will be, probably not too far ahead or behind.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I have just started letting people know I am committed to completing a thru hike next year. Im hoping to start in early or middle March. I am so excited.

Looking forward to seeing you all on the trail ....should be heading out mid-March....pumped up too experience the trail.

I will def be taking a Zero Day on Masters Sunday.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

343 days until I leave! That's March 18th, the day after St Patty's day. I started a week long hike that day this year, and St Patty's Day was such a good day and night for me I figured I want to have the same experience before I head to Springer.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

Hey all made up my mind ill be on the trail 2013 feb mid feb start. Just thought id say hi and look forward to meeting and sharing ideas.

i love that quote!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++