WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I'm going to semi-retire that year (not sure exactly what that means).

The wife and I will drive to Florida in early Feb and buy an RV. After learning how to drive the thing we will head north pulling our Honda CRV. I'll start my thru while she explores the county as I move north. Prob move the RV once every 7-14 days (as needed). I'll be backpacking like most everyone else with the perk of being able to sleep in my own bed once in awhile. It might be a hassle having to move the RV (not sure she will be willing to drive it) but I'll prob get pizza delivered to several road crossings...........
    Am retired now. Already have the RV. Thought about the same thing but the wife doesn't think she can handle it. My brother-in-law is going to attempt the through with me. My wife and sister will meet us on a few occasions. Might get us some pizza too. We're gonna start late april at the Conn./N.Y. line go SOBO to Va. Jump to Baxter go to N.Y. jump to Va. end at Springer. Will do the traditional approach as an ender.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Hey everyone- also planning my GAME hike in March 2013. I planned on starting halfway through the month- March 15th- but as an old Literature major, I know I need to beware the Ides of March. So, the 18th is it!

I'll be 36 by the time my trip begins. I haven't assigned myself a Trail Name- I'll either let that happen organically on the trail, or I'll think of something cool by then

The thing is, making this hike does't make any sense. I've got a good steady job, a wife, and live a couple miles from the beach in Florida. Why quit my job and sleep on the ground for 6 months? I grew up in upstate New York, not far from Bear Mountain- I've spent literally half my like dreaming of taking this trip. I know very well that nothing's guaranteed, and that every year I put the trip off, there's less of a chance I'll talk myself into going.

There's alway's going to be a reason not to go. So, damn it all and load that pack!

See you in 18 months!

Images

I'm headed NOBO in 2013. I plan on hitting the approach trail January 1...weather permitting.
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

I'm so glad this forum exists! I believe i'll be attempting a thru hike in 2013, hoping to leave in mid March - early April from GA at Springer Mountain and head north. I'm 23, will more than likely go about this alone, and would rather be in the woods than at my desk doing work. I want to do the whole thing, and enjoy every minute of it as I do. I believe I am more than capable of doing the entire trail, but will likely be in no big hurry or trying to set any crazy records. If i'm in the woods for 6 months, i'm okay with that.

Of course, i'll likely be laughably 'too connected'. I'll be bringing a mobile office with (netbook for the journey, verizon 4G mobile hotspot, cell phone) so I can do some work along the way. I sort of have a vital role at my job so I can't simply disappear for months on end, but I think I can get by on checking in every few days. Other than that stuff, will try to travel as light as possible to compensate. I've never used a hammock in a camping/hiking situation, only in a leisurely lay in a the shade type situation so i'd like to try one out on a hike first, though I think i'd be more apt to use a tent.

I still have a lot of research to do, but thankfully this place exists! Such a great resource, probably spent 3+ hours reading posts and checking out photos of people's journey.

Why am I so keen and intent on hiking the entire trail, alone?

I'm a young dude who has a relatively simple outlook on life. All I really want is to secure some acreage, build a small self-sustainable home (likely earthbag method), and live simply and modestly within my means. I feel that if I complete the trail, I will be more focused on obtaining the next goal in my life. I also own a business, luckily one that would allow me to 'slip away for a while' (4-6months, haha) and i'd just need to check in every other day or so. I feel that if I complete the trail, that no matter what happens in regards to the business goes, I can handle it. I just feel that it'll make me mentally stronger as well. If I was just sitting at my desk, stressed out and cursing under my breath because of work, I could just visualize and remember the trail in my head, and realize that I put up with a lot more enduring situations than that. Also, I need to get in shape. I'm tall and skinny, but I used to also be lean/cut from being constantly active. Now i've grown soft, I want to be in great shape again.

Blah, I'm a rambler... (not in real life though)

See you on the trail in 2013!

Images

just keep in mind the world is supposed to end in 2012. consider changing your start date.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    just keep in mind the world is supposed to end in 2012. consider changing your start date.
    Ha, we'll see...
    Attached Images Attached Images

It feels awfully good just to be able to write someplace that I'm planning to thru-hike in 2013. Because of my job, I won't be starting until late April or early May. I will start at the top of the falls in Amicolola Falls State Park. Why? Because I really like the approach trail. It's always on the top of Frosty Mountain that I feel my cares fall away. By the time I get to Springer, I'm relaxed and ready. I will hike to Harpers Ferry and then flip-flop to Katahdin and hike south to Harpers Ferry. I don't want the time pressure have having to get to Maine before the snows and equally important, I don't want to hike the Mid-Atlantic states in summer again. I've done annual AT section hikes since 1994 and have done all of the trail once, up to Hanover twice and some states multiple times, about 5,000 miles total. But all of the section hiking hasn't cured me of wanting to thru-hike. I'm sure I will replace some of my gear, but not many items, because the gear really doesn't matter so long as there isn't too much of it. I'm in good shape for a guy of 60 and, injury excepted, not worried about the physical side of a thru-hike. Eating enough is always a challenge when hiking. I do wonder if I will have the stamina mentally to keep hiking when walking becomes my job. My longest hike has been 5 weeks. I look forward to revisiting places and people I love and discovering new places and friends along the way and just the joy of walking for weeks and months on end.

Sugarfoot

Agreed on the approach trail, Sugarfoot. I drove up to Amicolola a couple weeks ago and did an out-and-back up the stairs and to the terminus, where I was able to eat lunch before being overrun by Boy Scouts I had to whet my appetite for the trail a little!

I'm sure when I get going in 2013 I'll go up the stairs again- they're going to be loads of fun when I'm not just wearing my Camelback...

Hey all! I'm also looking at getting started NOBO in March of 2013. Don't have a trail name to this point so I can put that in here. Now I just have to finish my PhD (hoping Feb 2013)! See you all on the trail (hopefully!)

2013 here too unless things are just right for me going in 2012.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Default This is also my class! Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Phlox View Post
    2013 here too unless things are just right for me going in 2012.
    My 60th birthday is March 28, 2013. I hope to be retired and starting my thru-hike on that day. If, for some reason, I have been talked out of retiring or my plans for "training hikes" have been delayed I will wait until the next March 28th (2014).

I'll be starting March 19th give or take a few days. I have until mid-September to reach Maine and then I find out whether or not I will be accepted into my dream college. http://www.coa.edu College of the Atlantic. I've grown up in Colorado, within less than a day's drive of the CT for most of my life, and finished some of my college degree but I haven't had the desire to completely finish. Since I live right here at the endpoint of the CT I plan on hiking as much of it as I can up until the day I leave for the AT. I haven't really started the planning yet as I still have about a year and four months to go but I am SO excited about this trip so at least I know I have the motivation. Haha. See you on the trail!
    "Growth for the sake of growth is a cancerous madness." -- Edward Abbey

Greetings everyone. My name is thunderbolt and 2013 is my year!!!! I'm planning a St. Patricks day to Labor Day thru hike. Planning is well underway. I just gotta keep working and saving my pennies and it will be here before you know it.

Cool

I'll be heading NOBO in 2013 as well. Boyfriend says he's coming--we'll see about all that. If he drops out, I'm just going to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I don't have a definite gear list--I'm experimenting. (I refuse to walk into REI and bend over, seeing what works best for me first). Plan to start GA section hikes with the GA AT club in February. I've been obsessed with this idea for years, seems its only getting stronger the longer I wait. I'M EXCITED. Saving those quarters.....

Images

I'm planning a SOBO thru-hike, ideally starting by June (depends on when grad school and my thesis finally have their claws outta me) I'm planning on taking my dog, and traveling with my sister for at least parts of the trip (pending on her life schedule at the time).

I'm looking forward to this trip more than is probably healthy, and can't help but getting started planning now. I hope I get to see some of you out on the trail!

2013 is my year, I hope. I plan to retire sometime in the Spring after 30 years with the same company (does anyone do that anymore?). I hope to set a definite day to retire before the end of the year, but it looks like I can hit the trail NOBO in April.

I've had plenty of hiking and camping experience over the years. I volunteer with GATC and am a section overseer for the mile that includes Hawk Mt., so I will have to spend my first night on my thru-hike there. After that, no plans.

I am so excited for it to finally be my turn to thru-hike. The real difficulty will be parting from my wife of 30+ years. Hopefully she can meet me along the trail a few times.

And then there's the piano - my hobby is playing piano, a couple of hours a day on average. I can't carry a piano with me! It will be tough to break that habit for 5 or 6 months.

SOBO 2013

WOW! So many other 2013 hikers here!

I (Alex [AKA "T"]) am aswell planning a 2013 thru hike. However, I will be traveling SOBO starting hopefully in mid June! I had originally planned to go NOBO but my best friend (Cody) will not be out of the army until may of 2013, so that is out of the question! We will also be traveling with an old friend (Chas) we grew up with making three of us! none of us have really done a hike this long before but what better time then now... or 2013!

I hope to soo many of you on the trail! whether it may be just in passing or sharing a shelter and wish you all the best of luck on your adventures!

Default 2013 Here I Come

2013 is also my year. I am recently divorced, losing my job in February of 2012, overweight and I need the year plus to train (Mostly in gym and on the North Country Trail), lose weight, research/plan and accumalate equipment I do not have. This has been a dream of mine..........I can not let the opportunity pass me by. April 16th 2013 will be my 43rd Birthday......I want to start on that date. I think any earlier start may come with snow, snow , snow. Looking to make contacts for advise, guidence, friendships for this trip ahead.

I'm in! I told hubby I wanted to do it in 2013, and he thinks it's pretty good timing! Better than after he retires since he doesn't want to do it - the planning begins in earnest. . . .
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Hi all! I'm also making tentative plans to do a 2013 NOBO thru hike! Of course when I say making plans I mean I'm reading posts on this forum and thats about it so far. Who ever would have thought that leaving a job would take so much effort/planning/time?!

Still I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to do it. Also as I'm in my element outdoors and have had plenty of adventures (though admittedly not a great deal of hiking) even if I don't get to plan every single detail I'm sure I will manage just fine.

Why do I want to do this? Well as I've already mentioned I love being outside, the feeling of freedom and the beauty of it is imense. The truely appealing part of it for me is being able to do it how I want, at MY pace, stopping when I want. My many adventures have pretty much all been part of my current job (British Army) so for the most part have been complete beastings - being made to do a 3 hour section attack up a seemingly never ending hill because one of the guys admin was up his a** (and yet I still loved it!). So yeah experiencing things in my own way and in my own time is going to be amazing. I also wouldn't turn down the oppertunity of meeting new people and hopefully making some friends along the way!! Heck if I make friends on this forum before I go I'd be chuffed - I'm a very friendly person - although my sense of humor takes a bit of getting used to, but as long as it's taken the way it's supposed to be (as a joke!) then all should be good.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++