Default Where are you shipping guide books to?

We know there are three guide books and two need mailing. I also feel it is good to mail shoes, batteries, socks, fuel, and etc. hard gear and also make it a food drop in a tight area. Just wondering as I am about to plan out beyond 200 miles.

Where are you mailing to and what are you including when mailing guide books?

Obviously you won't need the Oregon and Washington book until Ashland. You won't need the Northern California book until Tuolumne Meadows. For shoes and socks I had a person at home with a stack of shoeboxes, each with a pair of shoes and two pairs of socks inside. I could ask for them when needed. I also bought shoes along the way. Fuel can be obtained along the way. Remember, you aren't going to the moon. If you can purchase it in a mini-market or grocery store you don't have to ship it.

I used a bounce bucket for some things. I stored the guide books in there and sent them home when I was finished (I'm glad I didn't just throw them out because I've gone back to do parts of the trail again and now I'm loaning the guide book to someone else.) I put other little odds and ends in there, but really most of it wasn't needed. I hiked two times and before the 2nd time I swore I wouldn't do the bounce bucket thing but then I did. I like to swap out things. Not carry a jacket when it's July, bounce ahead extra food that's hard to find, keep my camera battery chargers and things like that handy.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

The tuolumne meadows drop could also be a food drop and could be done a bit earlier. I have planned on switching out shoes w/ two pair of socks as well at these two drops. I am skeptical to add toothpaste, batteries or T.P. because I could be carrying a full load. I just figured there is a good idea I am overlooking.

In my opinion, it's better not to overthink the whole resupply thing. The drawback to too much planning is you get locked in to your plans. You end up waiting around for the post office to open. You end up disposing of things you spent a lot of money on because you sent it to yourself and it turns out you don't need it after all. You waste a lot of money sending yourself stuff you could have just bought.

I think the best way to go about this is to get familiar with the resupply locations available to you and to what sorts of things are available there. If it's a location with enough services that you can just shop and buy what you need, then make a note that this is a place to resupply. If it's a location with very limited services, also make a note so you know not to depend on it.

Then as you move up the trail, stay aware of what is coming up ahead of you up the trail. When you reach a full-service location, make a purchase that includes your next leg of the trip plus the next legs that don't have good resupply options available. Look at how your battery and other similar supplies are doing and refill as needed at this time. Don't try to guess now when you'll need that stuff.

If you don't have a support person at home, then make use of a drift box to bounce ahead your battery chargers, guide book sections, things not needed for the next few weeks and whatever else.

Don't get stuck trying to figure it all out in advance. Just let it unfold in chunks up the trail. I swear it really is easier this way.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

We send the drift box so we meet it every three weeks or so. It has the guidebook sections, spare socks, batteries, medications, paper for my journal, maybe a couple of novels. I'll add some food like dried milk, coffee, etc. that I buy in large sizes and split into smaller bags.

The only boxes we will have sent to us on the trail are one to Kennedy Meadows with ice axes and bear canister (we'll send food from Mojave) and one to Cascade Locks with some warmer gear

I am hijacking this suckers thread. Oh, this is my thread. Anyway in San Diego and tomorrow a.m. I get a ride from Halfmile to the border and tonight he, a couple and I are camping at Lake Moreno. I want to thank those who answered my questions. I need to start hiking so the butterflies will away

++ New Posts ++