WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Avid hiker organizes Frederick chapter of Trail Dames for women - Frederick News Post

Frederick News Post (subscription)

Avid hiker organizes Frederick chapter of Trail Dames for women
    Frederick News Post (subscription)
    She has hiked about 300 miles on the Appalachian Trail, and eventually hopes to hike the entire trail, in sections. Hiking once seemed daunting, ...

More...

Images

Default In my own defense........

1. I NEVER told her I had "bad knees in middle age." I told her that I hurt one knee skiing 30 years ago and that the pain went away 10 years ago when I started hiking.

2. I NEVER said idiotic quotes like "I can cook for myself. I can carry my own water." DUH. I TOLD her that when I started backpacking with my husband he did all of the chores and that when I started going on my own I was proud of being able to take them all on myself - like hauling 4 liters of water uphill to the shelter after pumping and filtering it myself, setting up camp myself, etc. (and I have seen wives/girlfriends sit on their rears while the guy did all of the work, so that's not unusual. I don't do that anymore even if my husband is along.)

3. She asked me what kind of pack I used and I told her I had tried two different ones over the years and was on my 3rd because I'd found one even lighter. She makes it sound as though I had worn out that many packs. Not hardly.

There's more about the article that infuriates me but I can't do anything about it now. And I'll probably still get ripped by the hardcore people because this article makes me sound so freaking stupid, but I wanted to at least have my say before the ripping begins.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Don't worrry about it. If it brings women out to hike, then you have done a good job.

dirigo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
    Don't worrry about it. If it brings women out to hike, then you have done a good job.

dirigo

I've already gotten 2 more this morning! I'm up to 24 now. So you're right - - but it's still maddening. I have written travel articles for this paper so I know that I could have done a better job just writing my own press release and skipping the interview process. Water under the bridge........

Images

I've never been in an article where they didn't get things wrong - almost always they were big, obvious things. I've never been around an event where journalists got all the facts right, even when they were told the facts.

I hate to say it, but if you are going to get articles written about you or something you are involved with - get use to it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Hey! No one's ever written an article about the Delaware Valley Trail Dames, so I'm impressed that you've got your chapter out there! Our Trail Dames target market isn't really the hard core folks anyway. Despite the issues you mentioned, you'll still get the word out about the new chapter, and the article as it's written will appeal to your target market. I'm sure you'll pick up some new members from this; women who have always wanted to get on the trail but have been intimidated by hiking or thought they weren't athletic enough to do it.

Trail Dames are taking over the world!

Lellers <<<< DelVal Chapter organizer

PS... Sounds like all the chapters have hikes scheduled for April 17. There'll be some impressive energy on the trails that day.

One needs to treat journalists like the politicians do - decide what you're going to say, say the same thing several times over - and still don't sweat it when they get it wrong on particulars.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lellers View Post
    Hey! No one's ever written an article about the Delaware Valley Trail Dames, so I'm impressed that you've got your chapter out there! Our Trail Dames target market isn't really the hard core folks anyway. Despite the issues you mentioned, you'll still get the word out about the new chapter, and the article as it's written will appeal to your target market. I'm sure you'll pick up some new members from this; women who have always wanted to get on the trail but have been intimidated by hiking or thought they weren't athletic enough to do it.

Trail Dames are taking over the world!

Lellers <<<< DelVal Chapter organizer

PS... Sounds like all the chapters have hikes scheduled for April 17. There'll be some impressive energy on the trails that day.
    Yes, we are taking over the world! The paper contacted me because I had information posted on a local Frederick website. And as of this morning I've gone from 24 members to 33 members. The desire and enthusiasm for a group like this has been amazing. And it's only 9 am.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Yes, we are taking over the world! The paper contacted me because I had information posted on a local Frederick website. And as of this morning I've gone from 24 members to 33 members. The desire and enthusiasm for a group like this has been amazing. And it's only 9 am.......
    When you're up and running, we'll have to organize an inter-chapter event... maybe a Trail Dames Ruck, and invite the GA dames up, including the greatest Daminator of them all, Mud Butt!

Are you on Meetup or have a website? You can find the Delaware Valley Chapter on Meetup. You and your chapter members have an open invitation to join us for any of our events!

Mud Butt, 700 miles AT, 2003 Mud Butt's Avatar

Default Mrs. Baggis Rocks!!

HA!!! If anyone rips you, Mrs. Baggins, let me know and I will cut them off at the knees!!! I am proud to know you as a friend and triple proud to have you and Lori as TD sisters!!! Women rock and women that hike rock, but the women that really rock?!? That would be the women that encourage and enable other women to get out there on the trail! :
    Anna aka Mud Butt

Images

From what i gathered out of the article, (was nothing negative). I'm just now getting into backpacking at the age of 54 and if I were female, I would be contacting you .
    Congratulations on the article, seems to be getting a good response and hopefully it will get more ladies out and into backpacking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    From what i gathered out of the article, (was nothing negative). I'm just now getting into backpacking at the age of 54 and if I were female, I would be contacting you .
    Congratulations on the article, seems to be getting a good response and hopefully it will get more ladies out and into backpacking.

I have 37 signed up now! I've been on the computer all day trying to keep up with the replies to the emails from ladies who want to join.

There was nothing particularly negative - - just some bad misquotes. Like "rats" running over me in shelters. I said MICE, I never said rats! And that I am going to teach them "ethics".....I told her "leave no trace ethics", not just "ethics." I said so much more about self-reliance, not being so fearful outdoors, and inner-strength.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I have 37 signed up now! I've been on the computer all day trying to keep up with the replies to the emails from ladies who want to join.

There was nothing particularly negative
    just wait till they meet you
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    what exactly do you mean?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    what exactly do you mean?
    they will be more excited to hike
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Gaiter, you forgot the smiley!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    Loneoak, I understand there's a Men of Trail Dames calendar in the works. Maybe there's a month for you?

Images

Thumbs up

Being a native born-and-raised South Carolinian, I never knew South Carolina had a town named Montreal! Or else, this journalist doesn't know how best to use commas in a series, which requires use of a comma before the "and" always.

I liked the article and know what you mean about being mis-quoted. Been there, done that. It just comes with the territory unless you insist on reviewing and pre-approving a draft article.

Best to you and all the Trail Dames!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

chin up. it's wonderful what you are doing. i totally understand the frustration that comes with it not reading exactly how you imagined it, but you should know that it was an interesting read, one that would have gotten me to get out and hike if i didn't already. it sounds alot better than you think it does!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Being a native born-and-raised South Carolinian, I never knew South Carolina had a town named Montreal! Or else, this journalist doesn't know how best to use commas in a series, which requires use of a comma before the "and" always.

I liked the article and know what you mean about being mis-quoted. Been there, done that. It just comes with the territory unless you insist on reviewing and pre-approving a draft article.

Best to you and all the Trail Dames!

RainMan

I do remember hearing that newspapers are written at a 3rd grade reading level. But even 3rd graders should know proper punctuation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++