Thread: Land Nav.

Default Land Nav.

I have basic understanding of land nav. nothing really advanced like plotting courses with protractors and such. Just wondering if there are any significant navigation problem areas on the PCT. I've never been out west. So deserts and passes are something I've never had to cross. Not sure i'd know what a pass looks like I'm starting my PCT. thru-hike on April 15th. I hiked 850 miles on the AT. So I have experience with long distance. Some people make the PCT out to be a land nav. nightmare. What did you think from your experience?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

It's not too bad at all. Very well marked. The only place that poses any challenge may be the Sierra. Bring and know how to read maps and you'll be fine.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Not that bad. You will learn to identify passes. (it's the low spot between the peaks). Learn to read a topo map. The trail is often buried in the snow, however most of the time other hikers have gone through already. Pay attn., though, because those hikers aren't always right, and you could get fresh snow as I did over a few. I talked with several hikers who went up the wrong pass; no near death experiences, but it cost them hours of unnecessary hiking. Take a few minutes and study your map. You should bring a compass, and an accurate altimeter can help a lot. I didn't have one, but I would have liked one. Knowing your elevation can be very helpful in identifying your position or route. The desert isn't bad at all. usually the trail is obvious. Sometimes there are trail junctions and you need to take a look at your map if you're unsure. often, you'll be able to see the trail for miles ahead. No "green tunnel" in the desert. Myself and many others will often drag a couple lines or make an arrow with our poles indicating the right trail. You should check your map. I also expected to have to do a lot more navigating on the PCT, but found it pretty straight forward. Like I said, learn to read the topo and you should be fine. Have fun! The PCT is such an amazing and beautiful trails. Get ready to be blown away with stunning views all day, everyday.

Garlic
    Images

What Mags said. The Sierra could be tricky if the trail is covered in snow above tree line. You may, very occasionally, need to navigate by features on a map such as lakes, ridges, and peaks. Generally the weather is clear in June in CA, making sight navigation easy and dependable.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks you guys. I'm good with topos. The guidebooks topos are so tiny but i'll manage. Unless you guys know of a better type of maps for the Sierra's. I've been doing so much research I'm almost at the point of overload. But please by all means tell me what Sierra maps worked best for you. Raw knowledge from the hiker family is always welcome. I'm very serious about this hike because I'm taking my friend with me and He is blind. He thru-hiked the AT in 08. You would be impressed with how well he gets around.

Get the Tom Harrison JMT map set. The JMT and the PCT share the same trail through most of the High Sierra.

I print out topos from TOPO, and carry the maps I need until my next resupply (within which are the maps for the next section). I like maps, and carry both them and a compass. Some people do fine with the delorme maps from hikertrash, some people do fine with just the guidebooks from Wilderness Press. Some people don't bring much at all, then they mooch off of other people and depend on trail welfare.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A free version of PCT topos can be found at
    http://www.pctmap.net/download/index.html

You do have to print them out.

Half Mile also has GPS waypoints for download if you prefer those as well.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The Tom Harrison maps are nice. The only trouble I had with maps was that they are on a large scale so if the whole world is covered in snow and you just want to make a trail for yourself in the right direction, the map is useful. But if you're just looking at a big patch of snow and can't see the trail on the other side, the map is nearly useless because the scale is too coarse. The trail could be switchbacking under you but the map will never show it.

Mostly the trail is very simple to follow, and the footprints of others do help as well as the squiggles and magic marker arrows that lots of people get upset about and little rock cairns that show you where the trail is on the other side of a dirt road.

There are a couple fun spots in the desert where there really isn't a trail and then you follow poles and stacked up rocks, some of which are really elaborate. This is pretty fun.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The trail is often buried in the snow, however most of the time other hikers have gone through already.
    If he's fast, he may also find San Jacinto and Big Bear areas covered in snow. There's a group of 3 that's attempting to be the first to get past the San Jacinto area this year. A couple other hikers have had near death experiences trying to do so. I don't think navigation has been a problem though. Actually, you don't even really want to be on the trail 100% of the time right now. You're better off picking out an alternate route sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    A free version of PCT topos can be found at
    http://www.pctmap.net/download/index.html

You do have to print them out.

Half Mile also has GPS waypoints for download if you prefer those as well.
    Half Mile stuff is great. Nice guy too. I'm using his maps, waypoints and tracks on my PCT thru-hike right now.

++ New Posts ++