WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cole View Post
    Trail Name: Dont have one as of yet
    Direction:NOBO
    Estimated Start Date:Late March/Early April
    Approach Trail: yes

Partner bailed out on me but my mind is still made up. Still saving money and getting my gear situated. Very nervous to be doing this solo but, as I said, my mind is made.

No worries Cole - it's you, me and about 499 other new friends!

turtle feet
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by cole View Post
    Trail Name: Dont have one as of yet
    Direction:NOBO
    Estimated Start Date:Late March/Early April
    Approach Trail: yes

Partner bailed out on me but my mind is still made up. Still saving money and getting my gear situated. Very nervous to be doing this solo but, as I said, my mind is made.
    One of my best friends "talked me into" hiking th AT back in 1991. He bailed on me, but I headed to Springer anyway. I made it to Harpers's Ferry & had the time of my life! I quickly found out that I'd rather hike "alone". But I really look forward to meeting up w/ fellow hikers at camp & in towns. Don't be nervous-it's no big deal

I'm hopping back on the AT next summer to finish the journey. See ya out there.
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

stunt man
    NOBO
    leaving mid march
    approach trail: yes!

i was all set to go in the 2010 season but had to cancel my plans for numerous reasons and it has been eating me alive that i didnt go. now im not letting ANYTHING stop me from going in 2011!
    ~id rather be lost in the woods~

Trail Name: Dinner Fer 2
    Direction: NOBO
    Estimated Start Date: March 19th, 2011 FULL MOON!!!
    Approach Trail: Most Likely

I thru-hiked the Long Trail SOBO in 2008, I'm currently in gear world perfecting my pack list. See you at Springer!!!

Trail Name - Flounder
    Direction - NOBO
    Estimated Start Date - May 3
    Approach Trail - yes

i know its a late start date, but it has to be this way because of school. Let me know if anyone else is starting this late!

No trail name
    Nobo
    Apr 15
    Yes to the approach trail

Default Class of 2011

Trail to start: JustPlainPete
    Direction: NobO
    Start: April 15 (may be earlier)
    Approcah Trail: Done that once, will start at Hawk Mountain Shelter, unless I have a partner.

Registered User Sunshine Tami Jo's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Trail Name: Hoping someone helps me discover the perfect trail name! I want a great story to go with it.
    Estimated Start Date: March 23, right after my Spring Break ski trip with hubby and kids
    Approach Trail - I assume so...do I really have a choice?

I'm a mom of 4 kids, all of whom are either adults or on the brink of adulthood. I tried to convince them to come with me, but not one of them thought that this sounded like a good plan. My 21-year-old niece, however, does! Her time is limited, however, so I'll only have her with me for a little while at the start of my hike; after that I'm on my own...except that I really think I'll bring my best buddy with me: Tessa, my 15-pound Jack Russell terrier.

I've been planning this for about two years. I hoped to go last year but life got in the way. This spring I'm on my way, and I'm both really excited and really nervous. Will I be able to do it? Do I have what it takes mentally? Time will tell. I'm not pretending that it will be just a walk in the park. I know it will be hard. I also believe it will be one of the most incredible things I have ever done, and I'm psyched. I have most of my gear, except clothing and shoes. Otherwise, I'm ready! I've been amping up the workouts in anticipation, and I hope to have a reasonable amount of stamina by the time I commence.

I love that there are so many folks beginning about the same time I am. I think we should tie some sort of a flag to our packs so we can recognize one another as members of the WhiteBlaze class of 2011.

I wish everyone the best! Happy Trails!

Hey tamijo! Sounds like we're at the same place in life My youngest will be 20 next spring and he's hoping to hike a few weeks with me once he's finished with school for the year.

This trip has been on my 'bucket list' for at least 25 years. Now that the kids are pretty much on their own, I'm heading out. The hubby is very supportive and I think secretly looking forward to this hike as much as I am (he's not hiking..lol).

Looks like you'll be starting a little after me, but there's a really good chance you'll catch me! I'll be taking a 2 day break at the end of March for our wedding anniversary too.

Love the little 'flag' idea! Hammockforums.net does something similar but uses a buff that the forum members voted on. That was a fun little contest and then the winning design was produced by the Buff Co. people.

See you on the trail!

Turtle Feet
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Seeking Fellow Thru-Hikers for 2011 Hiking2011's Avatar

Trail Name: Waiting to discover it on the trail
    NOBO
    Start date: Approximately March 15th
    Approach Trail: YES

I would like to meet someone to start the same day. It would put my family's mind at ease.

Trail Name : IrishMonk
    NOBO
    Early March
    Approach trail : what's that ? lol

This will be my first time hiking... I plan on doing a thru hike. My life is so 'jumbled' right now...can't wait to put everything aside and go for it. Crazy thought really, but I'm looking forward to it. See ya'll on the trail !

Journal Entries
    Images

Trail Name: Forever North hiking with Timber and Willow
    Direction: Unsure as of todays date. I may do a southbound and visit with my family in Maine before getting on the trail.
    Est start time: As soon as I can get there, good weather or not we'll be on the trail in 2011.
    Forever North

No Trail Name
    NOBO
    Start Date: Mid March
    Approach Trail: Find out what it is when I get their!

The Approach refers to the 8.8 mile Amicalola Falls Approach Trail to Springer Mountain.

Default Posting this makes it feel more real.

Trail Name: Waiting for the trail. For some reason it feels like bad luck to pick one beforehand.
    Start Date: Ideally, Mid-March, but this all depends on when I quit my job, sell all of my worldly possessions, etc.
    Approach: Yet to be determined.

Anyone else in the SF Bay Area planning their hike and want to meet up? I would love to meet up with other thruhikers in planning to share the excitement.

Lynnmarie,
    I am also quitting my job and selling off all my worldly possessions. Good for us!

Default 4 to go no more

well as you can see when i joined whiteblaze i had 4 more years to go, well it's finally here, retiring in two months, will be on trail in march sometime, gear is almost complete, I am really excited to be apart of this years group, if anyone is interested in talking AT or 2011 thru, contact me [email protected] would like to make some contacts prior to start hooooooooooooooooorrrrrahhhhhhhhhh

Trail Name: levidoug
    Start Date: Looking at end of Feb/early March
    Approach Trail: Amicalola Falls Approach Trail
    still planning, coming from Oregon by train easier to keep gear with me.

Default Late Start?

Hey guys so I'm still in school and Im planning on hiking the trail for 3 months next summer during the break. So my problem is i can't start until may 3, and i am worried that there won't be enough people that far south on the trail. Not that i am scared of being by myself or anything, but i don't want to miss out on all of the camaraderie that the AT is known for. I really want to start at Springer, but i think i might just start farther north where there will be more thru hikers, and going as far as i can before the semester starts. Any thoughts on this? I know it goes against many peoples view of the trail, and thru hiking legit would easily be my first option, but unfortunately, at this time it isn't an one. I appreciate any feedback thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tamijo View Post
    Approach Trail - I assume so...do I really have a choice?

I've never done it or had the desire.... and you do have a choice.

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++