WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Forty-One View Post
    Approach trail: Ok.. I saw lots of yes/no answers to this question, I even looked in the AT slang link of the site, and it wasn't there... I have no idea what this means
    The approach trail leads you to the beginning of the AT at Springer from the state park. Best I recall it's about 8 miles. You don't have to hike it to get to the AT, someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, there's a trailhead that you can enter the AT on about a mile or so into the AT. Some people get on the trail there, and backtrack to where the AT starts. I've heard of hikers doing this, and I've also heard that the approach is part of the experience. I've yet to hike the AT so I can't say one way or the other. I suppose this comes into play, HYOH. (hike your own hike)
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Ah gotcha, thanks for the heads up. I'm in Rhode Island, which is probably one reason I've always thought of going MEGA. IF I start from the south, I'll have to keep the approach in mind.

OMG - how exciting! I've been off the site for a couple of weeks and wowy, wow, wow - we've got a whole bunch of new 'classmates'. I'm going to take a little while here and go back and read everyone's messages. This makes it feel so much more real right now.

I also read an AT Conservancy Facebook post that said the tail end of the 2010 Class has passed thru Springer now. THAT really makes it feel real to me. We're next!

I've already started to make some small adjustments to things here at home. For 24 years I've been the one in our marriage that heads up the mail opening, check cashing, bill paying, ect. I've begun setting up automatic debits for all the bills that offer it, so my husband won't have to deal with that. I've always done our taxes (but not before mid-March!), so I'm committing to having that finished before I leave next year.

One of my biggest fears is that I'm going to forget something. Not gear-wise, forget something that has to be finished at home before I leave. Anyone else worry about that??? I want to be able to enjoy our little walk in the woods.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    I've already started to make some small adjustments to things here at home. For 24 years I've been the one in our marriage that heads up the mail opening, check cashing, bill paying, ect. I've begun setting up automatic debits for all the bills that offer it, so my husband won't have to deal with that. I've always done our taxes (but not before mid-March!), so I'm committing to having that finished before I leave next year.

One of my biggest fears is that I'm going to forget something. Not gear-wise, forget something that has to be finished at home before I leave. Anyone else worry about that??? I want to be able to enjoy our little walk in the woods.
    Are you my twin? I've been married 25 years. My husband never had a checking account before he married me and I put him on mine. I just 20 min ago had a conversation with him about teaching him to do the money stuff. (then I come online and find your post.) I have always overpaid the bills so that I get the occasional "do not pay this bill'. Now, I just continue to (over)pay everything so that he will have a month or 2 with no or very few bills. I am turning off several things we now pay for. I will re-finance the house in Dec and take enough cashout to pay off our credit card.
    I'm going on Depo in Sep so I don't bleed in the woods. I have talked with my doc about what meds I might need on an extended trip and I will be getting scripts for those in the coming months.
    I will be getting my eyes checked in Jan and then new glasses just before I leave (2 or 4 pair?).
    OK, what have I forgot?
    Dee
    healthymom

Images

OMG - how exciting! I've been off the site for a couple of weeks and wowy, wow, wow...
    I've been wonderin' where you've been.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Images

Trail Name: Don't have one
    Direction: NOBO
    Estimated Start Date: March 1
    Approach Trail: No way!

Trail Name: Not Yet
    Estimated Start Date: April 23
    Approach Trail: Absolutely

Trail Name- not sure yet
    Direction- NOBO
    Est. Start Time- Mid March 2011
    Approach Trail - Yes

Making plans for my first Thru Hike. Very excited but kinda nervous about going solo. Looking for any advise to get me prepared for the hike, Or anybody who is planning to start around the same time as me.

Default class of 2011

Trail Name: Pending
    Start Date: 3.21.2011
    Approach Trail: yes

See ya there!

:banana

Trail Name: pending! and my dog, Dutch, too -- for much of the journey.
    Estimated Start Date: *probably* mid-March
    Approach Trail - Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by healthymom View Post
    Are you my twin? I've been married 25 years. My husband never had a checking account before he married me and I put him on mine. I just 20 min ago had a conversation with him about teaching him to do the money stuff. (then I come online and find your post.) I have always overpaid the bills so that I get the occasional "do not pay this bill'. Now, I just continue to (over)pay everything so that he will have a month or 2 with no or very few bills. I am turning off several things we now pay for. I will re-finance the house in Dec and take enough cashout to pay off our credit card.
    I'm going on Depo in Sep so I don't bleed in the woods. I have talked with my doc about what meds I might need on an extended trip and I will be getting scripts for those in the coming months.
    I will be getting my eyes checked in Jan and then new glasses just before I leave (2 or 4 pair?).
    OK, what have I forgot?

Dee
    healthymom
    That's too funny Dee! You went so far as to put him on your checking - wow, you're a better man than I. All these years it's just my name (of course his paycheck gets deposited directly nonetheless), but I may have to break down and add him next Feb. Hope he can figure out how to fill in a check...lmao! I like the way you say "I will re-finance the house" ... I think you ARE my twin. "We" bought some income property about 15 years ago (owner financed), we did a re-fi last year and he found out for the first time, he was never actually on the title!

Anyway - don't forget the dentist, last thing you want on the trail (besides you-know-what) is a toothache! I'm trying to coordinate this year's visits so I can get my 6 month check-up at the end of Feb.

I'm not going to overpay anything, that would just confuse him further - plus, I think after 25 years it's high-time he realizes just what we owe every month! I can't complain too much though, it's been my stealth money managing that's allowed me to sock away as much as I have for this trip.

Isn't it funny how we've both found men that are so laid-back about it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (well, maybe a little), I could never be 'not in-charge' of the finances, don't think I could sleep at night....and probably the same for him, hope he CAN sleep at night once he has to start dealing with it all! In the end, we're perfectly suited for each other. THAT kids is what makes a marriage work!

sherry
    aka Turtle Feet
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

whats this yes or no about the approach trail? I hiked in 2007 and didnt see a way around it, not that I wanted one but..

Images

You can drive almost to the top of springer. If I remember correctly, its only about a mile or so away from the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    You can drive almost to the top of springer. If I remember correctly, its only about a mile or so away from the parking lot.
    There is a forest service road that runs near springer. Luddite has it correct that it is about a mile away. Once you get to the terminus you have to come back down the way you just came. Its not a bad option especially if you have family or friends that are seeing you off at the terminus.

That's too funny Dee! You went so far as to put him on your checking - wow, you're a better man than I. All these years it's just my name (of course his paycheck gets deposited directly nonetheless), but I may have to break down and add him next Feb. Hope he can figure out how to fill in a check...lmao! I like the way you say "I will re-finance the house" ... I think you ARE my twin. "We" bought some income property about 15 years ago (owner financed), we did a re-fi last year and he found out for the first time, he was never actually on the title!

Anyway - don't forget the dentist, last thing you want on the trail (besides you-know-what) is a toothache! I'm trying to coordinate this year's visits so I can get my 6 month check-up at the end of Feb.

I'm not going to overpay anything, that would just confuse him further - plus, I think after 25 years it's high-time he realizes just what we owe every month! I can't complain too much though, it's been my stealth money managing that's allowed me to sock away as much as I have for this trip.

Isn't it funny how we've both found men that are so laid-back about it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (well, maybe a little), I could never be 'not in-charge' of the finances, don't think I could sleep at night....and probably the same for him, hope he CAN sleep at night once he has to start dealing with it all! In the end, we're perfectly suited for each other. THAT kids is what makes a marriage work!

sherry
    aka Turtle Feet
    Hi Sherry/Turtle Feet
    Thanks for the reminder on the dentist. I see mine every 3 months d/t having a whole host of problems in my mouth. I had 27 surgeries between Oct '07 and Nov '08.
    The DH is on the checking account, but isn't allowed to carry a checkbook. He carries a debit card, but I have him trained that he doesn't use it without consulting me first. He's not allowed a credit card. Before anyone passes judgement on our relationship, you need to understand that I had no debt prior to meeting him. In the 1st year of our relationship, he ran up nearly $5K in debt (jewelry and musical equipment mostly). We almost had to declare bankruptcy, but narrowly avoided that.
    After 25 years of marriage, he finally understands that a $15.99 item isn't $15, but $17. Progress!
    I love mine dearly and we are VERY suited to one another. It's not the relationship my parents would prefer me to be in. I works really well for us and I am very happy.
    Dee
    healthymom

Images

Trail Name- C Seeker
    Direction Nobo first- then Sobo
    Est start time- June 12

Can't wait to start in Front Royal, VA hike to Maine. Then get a ride or flight back down and hike to Georgia. What better can I do with my blank time?

Speakeasy
    NOBO
    April 1
    I wouldn't do the approach again without a gun to my head!! HATEFUL trail to me.

Trail Name - PITA
    Direction - NOBO
    Estimated Start Date - March 9, 2011
    Approach Trail - Yes

2010 is my year see what works, what works better and what doesn't work at all including me
    Never cut anything in half...You might end up with 2 pieces you can't use.
    Pop Jones

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius"

Trail Name - Slugger
    Direction - SOBO
    Estimated Start Date - June 15(ish), 2011

Trail Name - Barf
    Direction - SOBO
    Estimated Start Date - June 15(ish), 2011
    21.1% Done

Section hiker, Thru-hiker wannabe julia123xyz's Avatar

Trail Name: None yet...
    Estimated Start Date: Mid-March
    Approach Trail: Not sure yet...

Began discussions with hubby already. He's tentative but supportive.
    Work hiatus negotiations begins this afternoon. Can I afford a 6-month leave of absence? Yes. Can I afford not having a job to come back to? Uh, no. Wish me luck!

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++