WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Duct Tape Shoes

Default Duct Tape Shoes

Ok... so I tried to replace my 11oz crocs to Duct tape sandals.

I decided to cut out blue CC pad from Wally world and cover it with designer Duct tape also at wally world. I got pretty inventive with the first pair, and lined the inside with non-skid stuff you buy to line the drawers in the kitchen. Then I put on non-skid traction stuff I found at Ace Hardware. Ya know the Sticker stuff you attach to floors on stair cases etc. I also have Velcro on the flaps for adjustable sizing.

Anyways, the first pair I thought only weighed in at 5oz, but turns out they are 8oz. Not much savings.

So I tried again, and made a simple sandal for summer etc. The hippy ones in the picture. With Velcro on the straps as well. Those weigh in at 3oz. Yippee! No insole or bottom sole non-skid

Both have reflector tape for an easy find as I climb out of my hammock with my head lamp.

Field test results: Wearing wool "head" brand socks....Walking around camp in the Prescott National Forest.

The Red 8oz pair are WAY more comfortable and are actually warm. The 3oz pair I need to add a back strap to to keep them on, but they did fine without the non-skid on the bottom. I did slip a bit with my socks.

Picture attached.

So any suggestions or ideas to try again? I'm ok with 5oz. I was thinking of trying to use a piece of my GG 1/4" thinlight pad. But not much rock protection there.

I have the time, and I'm just playing with ideas, before my husband decided on his style he wants me to make.

SKITTLES

I noticed the bananas and duct tape on the table, are you thinking about making some slippers out of them?

Don't forget the carbon fiber toilet paper.

Do you live near Prescott?....I live in Chino...I hike out at Granite Mt all the time. If youd like..I can send you a link to some " weigh nothing " shoes...Not as fun as making your own Im sure...
    Absinthe.......It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Looks like you have re-invented flip-flops!

You can get the same thing for $1 at the dollar store, for a couple of bucks at WalMart, from Old Navy for $3.50, from a beach store for $5, or you can get the really fancy ones from Brazil called Havainas for $18-20.

Use a little piece of duct tape to reinforce the the sole around the hole where the strap for the toe goes through and they should last a thru hike and they will even keep you from getting (or giving!) athlete's foot in the hostel showers.

Of course, yours look much cooler!

Thanks for the feedback. I like the challenge of making them. My husband did say "honey, they do not need to be indestructible, they can be re-made." I just liked the idea of them lasting more than 1 or 2 trips.

I do live near Prescott. Dewey actually. On the out skirts of Prescott Valley.
    My husband and I "hang" in the Prescott Mtns near thumbbutte, and we do lots of Backpacking in the Mogollon Rim area. Still waiting for the snow to melt some more before we get back up there. I'm a wienie when it comes to snow. Doing Reavis Ranch on the 3rd down in the Superstition mountains.

I will play some more with my sandal/"banana peal slippers", I have a few ideas to keep the weight down and still achieve my non-slip idea.
    SKITTLES

Images

I think they're pretty spectacular... (though maybe a bit wrong colored and aesthetically designed for me - pretty sure I'd never hear the end of it showing up to the campsite with those "designer" duct tape shoes.) Very cool Redmarbleshoe.

Why not try cardboard for the sole instead of foam pad? Cover the cardboard in duct tape for durability.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Why not try cardboard for the sole instead of foam pad? Cover the cardboard in duct tape for durability.

I did consider that. I even found a picture of someone who did it. I didn't think the cardboard would be sufficient foot protection for rocks and such.

I just completed another pair for myself and my hubby. Both under 5oz. I'm happy. The GG thinlight pad on top for non skid is great and really comfy.

Cardboard would be lighter, but I'll carry the extra ounces for a bit more comfort.

I'm having too much fun. I even have my step-daughter making a purple hippy pair for her pack.
    SKITTLES

I hang out at Thumb Butte AND Granite Mountain!

and Spruce Mountain and Aspen Creek when the snow finally melts. You can't miss me, I'm the old lady hiking with two chihuahuas.

Oh, and I like the shoes! But then I like all homemade gear. Keeps the synapses firing.

Flip Flops made out of shoe liners are lighter.

http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

++ New Posts ++