WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Steepest mile

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Default Steepest mile

We have the hardest mile thread going, but what about the steepest mile? Meaning net elevation gain or loss (depending on direction) over a full mile.

Looking at the few maps I have (GSMNP, most of VA, VT/NH and ME), there appears to be quite a few 1000'/mile sections, and maybe a couple of 1200'/mile sections. I hiked a few of those on a recent ME section hike, and they were not as bad in person as they appear on a profile.

Their are a few short sections that are steeper, a full mile worth, I can't find.

Just wondering?
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

The profiles on the AT maps are a complete fiction. Some of them are for mountains that are no longer even on the AT. It would be hard to beat the Big K.

I would vote for somewhere on Katahdin, Mahoosuc Arm, or the north side of Moosilauke. All of 'em are pretty darn steep.

IMO, there is nothing like any of those climbs south of NH.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Default Wawayanda Mountain

I have no clue of other steep grades on the trail but the hike up Wawayanda Mountain to the Pinwheel Vista is a very steep climb for what is most likely a mile if not more. I don't know the elevation but I would think it's more then a 1000' change. Just about the whole way up the trail is all switchbacks. Now I don't know if this is considered a large climb on the A.T. but it's one of my favorite hikes and I even posted some views from the top of the mountain at the Pinwheel Vista on the photo board if anyone wants to take a look.

TREE-HUGGER GA-ME 92' TREE-HUGGER's Avatar

I have to agree with MOWGLI16. The first climb that came to my mind was The Mahusooc arm coming up out of the notch. And then I went to Katahdin. I guess Katahdin would pretty much win out in a side by side comparison.

Dragons Tooth south of Catwaba Valley. Heading south over this with a way to heavy pack was pretty steep and hard.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

I was real impressed with the climb south of Sam's Gap - the mountain past Boone Cove Road up to Frozen Knob just kept going. There was a brief respite at Sugarloaf Gap, but I think that was something like 1500 in about 1 mile.

Funny, I never thought Mahoosuc Arm was that bad. In fact, I kind of enjoyed that climb.

The climb out of Palmerton was pretty steep. And the rock scramble up Katahdin was steep. But my vote also goes to the north (east) side of Moosilauke. Man, that was a killer!

-Tank

Images

Having been in the Whites only briefly and not in Maine at all, I'll can't quite offer a steepest mile idea, but I will say that NY, particularly the early parts, were really rather steep. The trail designers seemed to think it a good idea to go over every little pile of rocks possible, whether or not there was a view or aesthetic reason for it. And, the trail up had to have as much vertical as possible.

Other bitchass climbs that come to mind include Stecoah Gap and the climb out of the James. Of course, the James is low, and it was really hot and humid when I came through that area. On top of that, the climb was the last thing to do before the end of a 30+ mile day. Even worse, hikers rolled into the shelter I was staying at around 9:30 and proceeded to stage an impromptu concert. I was glad to have earplugs.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Default North Side of Moosilauke

I have to agree that descending Moosilauke into Kinsman Notch put a hurtin on my knees. That was probably the longest steepest descent in my mind. Mahoosuc Arm didnt seem too bad, of course I would rather go uphill any day.

blue blazin' hiker trash

There is a ton of hand-over-hand on Wildcat. Also a steep climb.

Images

In Pennsylvania, at least , it's the northbound climb out of Lehigh Gap.

In New Hampshire, I'd have to agree that Wildcat and Moosilauke are about the worst, tho I'd add South Kinsman, too. Also, Garfield and Madison aren't that long, but they're pretty tough, especially if it's wet. And the stretch between Pinkham Notch and Madison is memorable, especially if you're stupid enough to do it Southbound. Also, I've always disliked Mt. Success, which is New Hampshire's "good-bye" kick in the ass before you cross into Maine.

In Maine, there's a nasty rock scramble just before Carlo Col shelter that's kind of a pain. Likewise, some of the rock scrambles on Goose Eye are harder than they look. For the record, tho, I'd haveta agree that Mahoosuc Arm is one of the worst, tho there are all sorts of other places that come to mind....Moody Mtn. near Andover, Saddleback if it's wet, Avery if you're tired. Going up Speck Southbound out of Grafton Notch is also no day at the beach.

The single hardest one-day climb, oddly enough, is your very last day, but the funny thing is that on Katahdin, nobody seems to care.

Nobody's talked much about the South. The ones I'd rather not do again in a southbound direction are the climbs out of Erwin, and the Priest in Virginia, which you can FLY down if you're a Northbounder, but it takes about 10 years
    if you're unlucky enough to be going the other way.

Default Hunt Trail

The steepest climb is reputed to be the Hunt Trail on Katahdin, from Katahdin Steam Falls to the Gateway. It's 3000 feet or so in about 2 1/2 miles.

Mahoosac Arm is about 1500 feet in 1 1/2 miles or less.

Beaver Brook on Moosalauke is about 1700 feet in about 1 1/2 miles.

All three are certainly good climbs or descents, depending on which way you are headed. One difference is that most thru-hikers slack pack up Katahdin, and not the other two.

Journal Entries

I had hiked mostly in Maine and New Hampshire -- well with side trips to places like the Grand Canyon and Rainier, before I started in Georgia 11 years ago. I never particularly noticed any "steep" climbs until I reached New Hampshire.

I suspect Katahdin has easily the steepest continuous climb on the the trail.
    As I read my trail map, the AT on Katahdin goes from 1,750 feet to 4,600 feet in a bit more than two miles.

The AT from Katahdin Stream to Katahdin's summit is a little more than five miles long and gains about 4,000 feet in elevation in that distance. But the first mile or so and the last mile or so are pretty moderate. The bulk of the gain is in the middle two miles.

Weary

After mostly hiking about in Va, I was shown what a true climb was when I hiked up to the Franconia Ridge last year. Nothing can get you ready for that. My hiking bud went right on up but she hikes that part of the country a lot and I know that helps a bunch. A week ago I met up with her again to hike the Kinsman heading south from Franconia Notch. Again, another insightful experience of what a true climb is. We planned on going over Moosilakee but my planned 15 miles/day dropped to around 9 so maybe I'll have that pleasure next year.

I hiked all of Ga this year including a hike from Deep Gap NC down to Bly Gap and back. Climbing Bly Gap was tough but no way does it compare to the Whites.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Nobody's talked much about the South. The ones I'd rather not do again in a southbound direction are the climbs out of Erwin, and the Priest in Virginia, which you can FLY down if you're a Northbounder, but it takes about 10 years if you're unlucky enough to be going the other way.
    ATwalker99 and I left our camp at the Tye River heading SOBO up the 30-odd switchbacks that ascend 3,000 feet and 5 miles to the summit of The Priest. I was smart enough to start slow and give my body time to warm up, and we decided to breakfast at the viewpoint about halfway up, so overall it was tough but reasonable (unlike those New Hampshire trails that just go s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t up at 1,000'/mile+).

I think a lot of the perceived difficulty depends on your nutrition level, fitness level, time of day, pace, temperature, humidity, and all those hoo-ha biorhythms. Some stuff seems harder than it should be, some stuff quite a bit easier. I do like the elevation profiles though, because they always seem to make me think the ascent will be worse than it actually turns out to be.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel bait
    Dragons Tooth south of Catwaba Valley. Heading south over this with a way to heavy pack was pretty steep and hard.
    Heading south up that amazing series of stone steps was pretty hard even with a light pack! Here's a picture of the final bit of ascent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by monkeymuscles
    ...the hike up Wawayanda Mountain to the Pinwheel Vista is a very steep climb for what is most likely a mile if not more. I don't know the elevation but I would think it's more then a 1000' change.
    The NOBO 800' vertical climb up to Pinwheel Vista is about 0.8 miles from the base of the mountain.

Once again, I did this first thing in the morning after hammocking just west of NJ-94, with the goal of breakfasting at the peak. I had a nice early morning climb on a clear, crisp summer morning. It may have been steep, but a trail runner interrupted my reverie and informed me that he used the climb to practice for an endurance run he had coming up!

If we're talkin' about the south, nobody has mentioned Three Ridges yet. That was a bear of a climb. Am I recalling correctly that the Tye River lies at the base of Three Ridges?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++