WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Palmetto Trail (SC)

It's a little bit of an odd trail, and isn't done, but SC is in the midst of completing it, but it will end up being a 425 mile trail from SC's mountains to the sea, for hiking and biking. It's got a lot complete now in 'passages' (basically the reason it's not complete is there are people's private property in between some passages, I think). It's mainly there, it's just not entirely continuous.
    Anyway, I live in SC and part of it goes by near me and I've walked that section (it's not really 'hiking' b/c it's a very flat section near me) and I'm thinking about doing it this year, in day or two day trips on weekends, maybe not the whole thing...
    Anyway, I didn't see another thread about it so I figured I'd start one.
    This is the trail's website, where you can get maps and learn about it:
    http://www.palmettoconservation.org/aboutthetrail.asp

Images

Come on out. The biggest stretch closest is going to be the enoree section in SNF crossing Union, Laurens and Newberry. I am a so called trail monitor, maintainer at the least, for that section though I rarley talk to anyone in Columbia. We should get together for a hike. There's some good hiking in the low country as well but I haven't had much time to get down that a ways.

Images

I saw a 40lb beaver the other day drop a 30ft tree with about a ft and a half diameter into the sedalia lake too.

Journal Entries

I live in the Woodruff school district (I'm actually on the wifi at the Turtle in Woodruff right now) so Enoree is just a hop skip and a jump away (the town of Enoree is in the Woodruff school district too, in case that was lost on you ). Maybe we should get together sometime.

I really wanted to do the AT in 2009, but couldn't afford it b/c I got laid off. Now it's that time of year again and I'm getting what I call 'trail fever' and still can't afford it but am seriously thinking I'm going to start putting stuff aside and aim for 2011, and thinking walking the Palmetto Trail (or at least the upstate bits) in the meantime.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by singingpilgrim View Post
    I live in the Woodruff school district (I'm actually on the wifi at the Turtle in Woodruff right now) so Enoree is just a hop skip and a jump away (the town of Enoree is in the Woodruff school district too, in case that was lost on you ). Maybe we should get together sometime.

I really wanted to do the AT in 2009, but couldn't afford it b/c I got laid off. Now it's that time of year again and I'm getting what I call 'trail fever' and still can't afford it but am seriously thinking I'm going to start putting stuff aside and aim for 2011, and thinking walking the Palmetto Trail (or at least the upstate bits) in the meantime.

Yea I am planning on a 2011 sobo right now myself. A few years ago I just started exploring all the trails closest to me and ended up figuering out how to get from my house up the PT on to the FT around a few more trails to AT and on to maine so technically I could walk from ME back to the house on trails. Not planning on that but I find it amusing. There is a trail maintnance date this saturday at jones gap if you find yourself intrested in trail maintenance. I've got a hot date this weekend so I won't be there.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I've got a hot date this weekend so I won't be there.
    Haha, good for you.

Yeah, I'm not an experienced hiker by any means. I've only ever done day walks, never more than six miles, and never that long in the mountains.

Five years ago I went up and did a gig as a trail angel on the AT for four or five days with some people from college during spring break, and since then hiking it has been in the back of my mind. After the trip, I found out apparently my dad was a serious section hiker (he's hiked over a third) when he was my age, so maybe it's in the blood. But it's stayed a desire in me long enough, that this year I've pretty much determined I'm going to take pains to do it in 2011.

Glad to see folks interested in the palmetto trail. I just got in to it about 4 months ago. I have completed 2 trails so far and started 2 others. I have completed the Awendaw Passage & Lynch's Woods Passage. Awesome Trails! I have done the Poinsett Park Portion of the Wateree Passage and the Hills of Santee. In about 2 weeks I will be hiking the Remaining portion of the High Hills of Santee Passage with a co-worker. I have done Video on all my trails so far and will continue to do so for the education, preparation and enjoyment of hiker like ourselves. Check it out and tell me what you think!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/XtremeKatfishn

Here are a few pics from the Awendaw Passage Trail.

Attachment 10867 Attachment 10868 Attachment 10869 Attachment 10870 Attachment 10871 Attachment 10872

As always, Stay Cool and Stay Outdoors!!!

I am XtremeKatfishn, and I am OUT the DOORS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/XtremeKatfishn

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

What's the longest continuous stretch of trail completed so far?

Images

Hard to say really. It's broke up by sections and to have not seen them all I can't say which ones are really connected. It's really harsh in the summer but dead of winter is great. Alot of wildlife too. A trial like A.T. connects mountaintops and valleys but the palmetto trail is more of a history walk than anything.

++ New Posts ++