WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Alex Kenney

Images

Default Alex Kenney

This shelter is SMALL, with two bunks and floor space. The privy is a compost privy which makes it nice. Water is a hump back up the trail and then back down where you just climbed up. I like to think that this shelter is more of a rest area where you eat your lunch or take a break. But the solitude of the shelter is surely a possibility.

Heading North you will have crossed a stream before your climb and on the other side of the stream was a camp ground... If you tent that is your best bet at level ground.

Sparky
    May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door.

An Irish Blessing

Default Alec Kennedy Shelter Photos ?

I would appreciate a photo being posted of this shelter ?

Any on file would be of interest to me.

Thanks,

rds

Default Photo Link

Quote Originally Posted by Dad250
    I would appreciate a photo being posted of this shelter ?

Any on file would be of interest to me.

Thanks,

rds

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...hp?i=780&c=567

Images

In good shape on 5/30/07. If you are heading nobo you will cross a red blazed trail just before you get to the blue blaze turn off for the shelter. This red blazed trail leads to the water source. From there you can take the blue blaze uphill to the shelter. it will save you some time and less uphill walking. The clotheslines were a nice touch.

This shelter is actually titled Alec Kennedy, I live right by this part of the AT so I hike here often. The shelter is pretty small, I'd say 6-7 people could sleep in it comfortably. There is a tenting area a few feet away and is also very nice. No bear cables that I've seen, there is a fire circle right outside the entrance with a picinic table, it makes for easy cooking and warmth. If you follow the blue trail to the spring, at the end, there is a mini waterfall and the water is delicious. Say what you want, but I don't even bother treating this stuff, its pure.
    "The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time"

stayed 5/20, Small SH with little to not tent sites (just South of the SH on the AT AND just North, there are good tent sites)

water is running well
    ~Christy

Used shelter 4/14/19. Clean! Water flowing in creek down from shelter. Fill up on your way in. Second composting privy added. Nice refuge from adverse weather!

Images

this may be the best zombie thread occurence yet.

it's Alec Kennedy shelter. theres no Alex Kenney shelter that i'm aware of.

is there not a thread for the Alec Kennedy shelter? seems there are threads for most of them.

which one did you stay at chickenfingers?

Stayed at the A Kennedy that is 3.8 trail miles south of Boiling Springs...

++ New Posts ++