WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Question What to look for in a pack?

I'm not getting one until I lose more weight (so I can be sure of a better fit), but I'd like to get my pack needs narrowed down so I'm not wasting time trying out packs that aren't appropriate for my needs. This pack is for my GA-ME thru next March.

* Estimated full pack weight (incl. consumables) ~ 28-35 lbs
    * I'm a woman, so woman's specific fit would be better (unless that's a marketing gimmick)
    * I have a weak lower back with occasional pinching vertebrae, so I guess something that sits snug and higher would be preferable
    * Something to combat the standard sweaty back
    * Something with a zippered sleeping bag compartment (unless that, too, is a marketing gimmick and not necessary)
    * I don't require bladder/camelback access/compartment
    * Prefer pockets on belt for camera/gloves/etc.
    * Pack weight 3 1/2 lbs and less

I'm currently eyeballing the Osprey Talon 44, the Deuter ACT Lite 45+10 SL, and the Deuter Futura Pro 34 SL.

Where do you go to scout out the best deals? Who offers great discounts and steals and get-it-before-it's-gone deals?

Thank you all
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been scouting the web to replace my Gregory jade 50. Best place to compare prices, IMO

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I do too - I just didn't know if you know of any websites that offer great deals that won't pop up in a search engine, or anything like that.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

Look at something from Granite Gear. They have removable waist belts.

What to look for? Fit. Get measured and all that, then its really about personal taste. If you enjoy thick waist belts? How much will you carry? How heavy is it all? Etc.

Id check out a GG Vapor KI. My fiance has one and loves it.
    Look at some of the outfitters on the trail through website. Sometimes if you know what you want and call them they will cut ya a good deal if they have something in stock.
    I wouldnt skimp on this part either. Dont get something for price, get quality and fit!

Images

I have found Basegear.com to be about the cheapest, They have the Osprey Talon 44 For $158.95, Sign up for their free membership and get 20% off, Bringing the Talon price down to $127.16 with free shipping, They have a good selection of other packs.
    I have ordered half a dozen times from them, They have the best delivery I've seen.
    http://www.basegear.com/ospreytalon44.html

You might try http://www.bing.com and select "shopping" for looking for good deals. It really is best if you sign up with them, lots of popup things stop popping up if you do. And you need to be signed up to get the "cash back" deals they uncover or manufacture for you. Part of the "cash back" deal is that you will typically have to wait weeks for the cash back. Evidently, for a brief period of time, the merchant (or Bing), gets a free loan of a modest amount of refund money.

There is "Shopping" on google, but they don't have a "cash back" offer.

To be effective, you need to repeat the search many times over weeks to months. Eventually, on Bing, you pretty much seem to collide with a good deal.

Sorry, but I can't offer any suggestions on how you pick a pack for your needs. You might ask the same question in the "women's issues" section and get more useful feedback.

Images

Campmor also has the get it before it's gone deals in their Hot Deals section under "Sale"

Hike smarter, not harder.

Sleeping bag compartment is pretty gimmacky. And I've had packs with mesh, ventilated backs, and my back still sweated. And the load was farther away, and trying to tip me backwards. Best place to scout deals is www.spadout.com.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I am a woman and I also love my Vapor Ki. It wears comfortably up to about 30 lbs, but I've stretched it to 35 without anything but minor discomfort. It does not have a separate sleeping bag compartment, which I thought would be an issue when I first got it (it is not an issue).

That's me though. I went through a variety of packs before I landed with this one and I also went through a variety of phases in backpacking, from carry everything to sensibly carrying what I need and only what I need. Comfort is most important and no, the woman's packs really are fit for a woman's body. Try one on and try to get it from a place that would allow a return if necessary. You can't really tell what's going to fit you well IMHO until you pack your pack and hit the trail, going up and down, sweating in it, and making whatever adjustments to straps etc need to be made.

Anyway, its as personal as what kind of underwear you wear--keep trying til you find something that fits!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Sleeping bag compartment is pretty gimmacky. And I've had packs with mesh, ventilated backs, and my back still sweated. And the load was farther away, and trying to tip me backwards. Best place to scout deals is www.spadout.com.

This was really helpful. Just found my Gregory jade through it. Thanks.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Yes, I was looking at the Granite Gear first; don't remember why I didn't include them in the running (probably lack of sleeping compartment). But yes, I did look over the Vapor Ki and the Vapor Flash Ki.

I suppose it will boil down to taking all of my gear in grocery bags and filling up the packs at an outfitter's. I'm prone to counting my chicks before they hatch and picking out hiking gear is no different!

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

~ Dolly Parton

What to look for in a pack?.........Well in Baltimore Jacks pack you could look for a dead groundhog.

Images

The packs you were looking at look a little small to me but if you can work with something that small thats cool. This is what my GF uses.
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.php?productID=74&colorCode=635&tab=features

Quote Originally Posted by Chancelynn2002 View Post

my GF puts 45 in hers no problem (water and wine mostly)
    * I'm a woman, so woman's specific fit would be better (unless that's a marketing gimmick)
    Check
    * I have a weak lower back with occasional pinching vertebrae, so I guess something that sits snug and higher would be preferable
    Um I guess you would have to try that on and see how it fits you.
    Check They call it the airspeed pannel. You cant see this at all but its great in real life. Its what sold me. also the straps are good for hot weather.
    * Something with a zippered sleeping bag compartment (unless that, too, is a marketing gimmick and not necessary)
    Check GF started out with the 50L but switched up to the 65 for the zippered sleeping bag compartment.
    Check even if you dont use it.
    Check
    Check
    I recomend checking this out in a store. But I would not buy any packs with out trying them on. Good luck.

her other girl friends have a REI flash 65 and that is the lightest and lest expensive. Another one has the gregory z65 and that seams to hold the load the highest up. Nither of these bags deal with back sweat as well as the osprey though. I also dont know deatails like pockets and sippers. But the gregory always looks like it fits the best.

But being a dude I have never tried any of these packs... good luck.

Images

video with a much better view of the back ventilation.
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/AtmosandAuraSeries

I have had many packs over the years. My favourite is a New Zealand Aarn pack www.aarnpacks.com . I don't use the front body flow pockets on mine though. I will be using the Osprey Ariel 62lt on th AT in 2011. Whilst it isn't my favourite, it is a great pack, has plenty of room that I DON'T fill, but always nice not to have anything hanging off the back. I think it is totally ridiculous to buy really little packs and then have tents, mats, jackets etc strapped on the outside. My tent goes in a dry sil bag on the inside. That way all the weight is next to your back.

Too much weight.

NO GEAR FOR YOU! Next.

- the gear nazi

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Too much weight.

NO GEAR FOR YOU! Next.

- the gear nazi

Hilarious.

On a more helpful note: sign up for mailing lists online to get more deals/emailed sales - my favorite is backcountry.com because they have amazing customer service and a great return policy. You could actually instant message with a customer service rep and get info on packs from them. And you can return gear at any time, in pretty much any condition.

Geartrade.com is another good place for deals. I got my granite gear pack for 75 bucks there.

Images

The problem with the Osprey Aura is that the load lifters don't really make that much of a difference compared to load lifters of another pack.

My suggestion would be check out the Osprey Kestrel 48 (or whatever litre size you want)... very cool little pack, and comes in sizes Small/Medium, or Medium/Large.

Go to an outfitter and try it on. And support local--buy local!

Quote Originally Posted by allwen View Post
    I have had many packs over the years. My favourite is a New Zealand Aarn pack www.aarnpacks.com . I don't use the front body flow pockets on mine though. I will be using the Osprey Ariel 62lt on th AT in 2011. Whilst it isn't my favourite, it is a great pack, has plenty of room that I DON'T fill, but always nice not to have anything hanging off the back. I think it is totally ridiculous to buy really little packs and then have tents, mats, jackets etc strapped on the outside. My tent goes in a dry sil bag on the inside. That way all the weight is next to your back.
    U.S. distributor is http://www.aarnusa.com There are three in stock currently, and the rest of the Aarn line will be in late April or early May.

As for a women's specific model, Aarn doesn't make one. BUT - the packs are more body specific. Two torso lengths, removable and adjustable hip belt, adjustable shoulder straps (on most) for how wide your shoulders are, and a removable/bendable frame stay along the spine.

And the front Balance Pockets are perfect for your camera/gloves/etc that you mentioned.
    AARN USA - Sales Representative

Quote Originally Posted by Chancelynn2002 View Post
    I'm not getting one until I lose more weight (so I can be sure of a better fit), but I'd like to get my pack needs narrowed down so I'm not wasting time trying out packs that aren't appropriate for my needs. This pack is for my GA-ME thru next March.

I'm currently eyeballing the Osprey Talon 44, the Deuter ACT Lite 45+10 SL, and the Deuter Futura Pro 34 SL.

Where do you go to scout out the best deals? Who offers great discounts and steals and get-it-before-it's-gone deals?

Thank you all
    Try here and check out the Backpack finder:
    http://www.spadout.com/c/backpacks/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++