WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Medical Insurance

We are coming from Australia to hike AT in 2011. Does anyone have any advice on what we do about medical insurance, such as companies, expected costs......

Quote Originally Posted by allwen View Post
    We are coming from Australia to hike AT in 2011. Does anyone have any advice on what we do about medical insurance, such as companies, expected costs......
    I have a guy that can help you out, http://www.RiderSurance.com/ Tell him Teri Gorrell sent you.

There are some threads here on insurance if you search but if you can get some kind of traveler's policy in Australia that will cover you here for at least catastrophic illness or injury you might be better off.

As a minimum you need some way to pay for basic medical care in case of an illness like Lyme disease or an injury like a badly sprained ankle that needs x-rays or a spider or dog bite, something like that. Emergency rooms here have to triage you but without payment they only have to treat serious life-or-limb threatening problems and only then until you're stable for discharge. In other words, a Visa card would be handy if you don't have insurance or have only catastrophic coverage.

Default medical insurance

Thanks Appalachian Tater,
    I will check out travel insurance. I hadn't thought of that! We hear that the cost of any medical treatment is exhorbitant in USA! Allwen

++ New Posts ++