WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    "The" creation story in Genesis? Genesis has accounts of "man" being created FOUR different ways in the first two chapters of Genesis. Which one is "the" one?

RainMan

Four different?? I see that He created man in chpt 1 and in chpt 2 the details are given.

Images

Here is the AT Servants website, I think they are based in Franklin:

http://www.trailministry.org/

While there seems to be some concern with the idea of them using the AT as a way to witness, it doesn't look like they have been flooding the trail with "Trail Chaplains". There have only been several of them since 2006 and none listed for this year. Seems harmless to me, and seeing how it's being done by one or two hikers who are actually backpacking up the trail, it would be astonishingly easy to avoid if one were so inclined. They have a few journals on their site. It would be interesting to hear from some folks who actually met some of these "Trail Chaplains" just to get a glimpse of how they operate.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Slo-go'en "It is a shame Budda didn't spread his methods west along with east. The world today would have been much different if it had."
    If Buddha had a chance to spread his teachings as far west as where you live, L'École de Notre Dame on School Street at the bottom of Cates Hill would have closed long before it actually did.

Images

BTW, it would be helpful if folks could avoid using this thread to debate scripture. It's not often that the topic of religion is included in a trail based article here, but there are limits to acceptable thread drift.

Thanks, ed

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post

While there seems to be some concern with the idea of them using the AT as a way to witness, it doesn't look like they have been flooding the trail with "Trail Chaplains". There have only been several of them since 2006 and none listed for this year. Seems harmless to me, and seeing how it's being done by one or two hikers who are actually backpacking up the trail, it would be astonishingly easy to avoid if one were so inclined. They have a few journals on their site. It would be interesting to hear from some folks who actually met some of these "Trail Chaplains" just to get a glimpse of how they operate.
    Seems like a "I'm not interested, thank you very much." would be all you'd need to do if you weren't interested. Nothing to get in a wad about.

BTW, it would be helpful if folks could avoid using this thread to debate scripture. It's not often that the topic of religion is included in a trail based article here, but there are limits to acceptable thread drift.

Thanks, ed
    True, but encountering religon on the trail, especially down south, is unavoidable and inevitable. Therefore it is a very valid subject for debate. Since scripture is the basis of religon, it is also inevitable that will be debated when ever the subject comes up. People have been debating and fighting over scripture for 1000's of years, not about to stop now.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    True, but encountering religon on the trail, especially down south, is unavoidable and inevitable. Therefore it is a very valid subject for debate. Since scripture is the basis of religon, it is also inevitable that will be debated when ever the subject comes up. People have been debating and fighting over scripture for 1000's of years, not about to stop now.
    I didn't say it couldn't or shouldn't be debated, or that it would stop. I'm talking about this message board only.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

While I'm not a fan of being "witnessed" to on the trail.....far from it, I have met Branch and Clay. Great people who, in knowing that I am of a different faith, have never once over stepped the bounds with me. Our religious beliefs may differ, but they have never trapped me into a theological discussion while I was hiking or chilling in town. I've just seen them doing good things for hikers, and talking to those who are willing.

I have, however, had kid catch up to me while I was hiking and try to convert me......then tried again later.....that pisses me off.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Way back in Post #2, I mentioned I had met and shared shelters with one such "chaplain." After a while - far from our first converstions - it came out that he was a person of faith who was considering entering seminary. He never described himself as a Trail Chaplain, was never pushy, was well-respected among his fellow hikers, definitely not holier-than-thou, my-way-or-hell type. I enjoyed his company very much.

I recall one night where a discussion on faith ensued among everyone in the shelter covering a wide gamut - not just Christianity. He was not doctrinaire; in fact, he was open to learning and discussing about other beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    [ What's your point? My point is that I believe in the creation story found in Genesis, and not that everything crawled out of the sea, ok? I believe this simply from the existance of the woodpecker.
    My point was exactly what I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    That's not how evolution and natural selection work. Individual organisms don't evolve. Species do.
    Why do people think my point is something other than what I write? I would add though, as an additional point, that it might be a good idea to understand something before deciding to reject it. This goes both for people who have no understanding of how natural selection works, and people who are critical of religion.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

matthew claude weinstone aka matthewski aka manny aka matty aka hotty,........loves jesus more than any of you. and he gives me anything i want. watch,......dear lord, please make me the next grand master of art and allow me to boast who did it.. watch....keep watching....
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    matthew claude weinstone aka matthewski aka manny aka matty aka hotty,........loves jesus more than any of you. and he gives me anything i want. watch,......dear lord, please make me the next grand master of art and allow me to boast who did it.. watch....keep watching....
    .......I just read a few entries in this thread, then I saw that Matty had just made one - went back to check - Same 'ol Matty.......
    Keeps me smiling.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Four different?? I see that He created man in chpt 1 and in chpt 2 the details are given.

Eggs-zackly! Four distinct sets of inconsistent details are given.

Version #1. Gen 1:27 - "God created man in his own [spiritual] image." And verse 31 wraps it all up thusly: "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good." Not to mention, Chapter 2, verse 1, which finalizes everything: "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them."

That was it, the end. It's also where all Bible scholars agree that a new writer wrote a later and very different version of creation, that was tacked onto the original, starting at Chap 2:6 "But there went up a mist ...." A fog obscures clear vision.

Version #2. Gen 2:7 "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground...." Here we get the fictional accounts that contradict the first.

Version #3. The first cloning. Gen 2:21 "And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman...."

Version #4. The first sexual conception. Gen 4:1 "1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain...."

Pick which ever version or versions suit your taste. As the last three are the much later account written by a wholly different "writer," I'm sticking with the first version out of all of "the" creation stories in Genesis.

I only shared this because you asked. I would not "witness" (proselytize) to you on the AT. Jesus didn't have much good to say about folks professing "to be seen of men." I've heard good things about Branch and Clay not being that way.

Best to you!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

2010 complete

Thanks, ed
    ok. done. It is an interesting thread, though.

I'll be praying for you Pebble Puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I, for one, am glad this whole "Is there a God?" debate will be settled right here on White Blaze!!!!

Right! When kosher pigs fly!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Di-Tryn
    Images

Default Time

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    My question is if everything that ever was, is or will be is already known by God, how then can our choices by made freely? The outcome is already determined. It is a paradox and a very fatalistic view if you ask me.
    Imagine the Creator of all things. At that moment of creation, time started, as you and I know time. The Creator of all things (God) having created and consequently *started* time, is by definition as it's creator, *outside* of time, and see's the beginning, the middle, and the end.

Di-Tryn
    Images

Default !

For me (and that's the beauty of it; therefore, not up for debate), I started the AT as an unbeliever and ended as a believer. It started out as a wish to die; and ended as a wish to live. I can't say that my belief came from anyone that I met on the trail such as this article states, but from God. I particularly like the scripture Romans 1:20
    "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse"
    Dude, that's awesome!

Di-Tryn
    Images

Alright, so I've read a good deal of the replies in this post and there are a lot of ideas, opinions and convictions of many varying people. My statement is to those that are "unbelievers." If a Christian, or anyone of any belief system of religion, as part of their faith, believes that the truth to which they hold teaches that those who do not believe that said truth is eternally damned and they do not do all that they can with all of their being to speak that truth into the lives of everyone they come into contact with, would you have an ounce of respect for that person?

I mean, if they genuinely believed you were going to hell and didn't tell you how to avoid it, well that would be far worse than *proselytizing*, and inconveniencing you of a few minutes of time of a solo night in a shelter. They would be far more evil than one could imagine. To have the keys to escape hell and not tell those about it you meet, would be the greatest of all evils.

To believe that there indeed is a hell and those without Christ will go there, and not tell everyone about the Way to escape it, well, that would be the greatest of all hypocrisies.

To know the Way of Salvation, and not share it, would be the greatest of all hate shown to man. On the contrary, to share it would be to love those whom you come into contact with.

I'm not a nutcase, just a man who knows both sides of the *coin* all too well. And yes, I am a Christian, not because I want to be, but because I am compelled to be. I have lamented over *truth* for many years and searched high and low. I have found through objective search that the truth of Life, lies at the foot of the Cross.

Images

Red face

...but there are limits to acceptable thread drift.
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Not that there should not be, but plainly on WB there are NO limits to thread drift, sometimes not even in the "Straight Forward" forums!]

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
++ New Posts ++